Practicing auto rotations

erjdriver

For practice rotations, you just cut the throttle to idle right? I tried it and there wasn't much of a needle split between engine and rotor rpm?

Are there some instructions for the huey?

I've been trying to level off around 70 feet and seems to be way too low.

Also, actual engine out behavior (fuel off) and practice seems to be quite different in terms of performance.

Here is a video, by Chuck:

4f6J0Plt0w4

:)

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I have been flying with 229th and it seems that the practice they use is to cut the fuel off. It seems that there might be some residual power available, thereby making your "auto" a power assist assault style landing. Try that out and see how you like it! Oh, do it near an airfield so you can get on ground power in case your batteries die, as they like to do sometimes in colder climates.

• 3 weeks later...

I usually:

1) Turn off the governor (ermergency governery mode) or something like that

2) Lower the throttle to idle

3) Lower the collective to the floor

4) Pitch for airspeed around 60 knots

5) flare and add collective to cushion down like a boss. Check it (although not that pretty, lol)

No need for anything fancy, like governor manual or fuel off. Just roll the throttle to idle. That's how it's done in real life, so that if you botch it you can roll the throttle back up and overshoot.

It will give a very small advantage over having the engine completely off, only on the bottom end at low RPM (during the cushion). Otherwise, you will see the N2 split from the RRPM if done properly.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

I'm Sorry, but bringing throttle to idle is not properly simulated. Engine needle should go around to 4000 rpm and not follow rotor rpm movements.

Today I have also made a test for an airborne engine start and starting with the throttle at iddle (that is not the normal emergency procedure) makes the engine N2 needle go up towards the rotor needle.

Yesterday I posted this https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=186759

I'm Sorry, but bringing throttle to idle is not properly simulated. Engine needle should go around to 4000 rpm and not follow rotor rpm movements.

Today I have also made a test for an airborne engine start and starting with the throttle at iddle (that is not the normal emergency procedure) makes the engine N2 needle go up towards the rotor needle.

Yesterday I posted this https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=186759

Hmm, must be a recent bug then. I don't have access to my DCS right now (won't for a while), so I can't check it out myself.

I've practiced them in the past and never noticed any problems.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2