F-5E ACM Campaign - First mission and first impression.

Sydy

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

I've been away due too much work and a rig upgrade. Now I am able to get back into action.

Today I practiced some more on mission 7 against Mig-29Gs and gotta in a good mood.

I decided to give the mission a shot and managed to pass on the first try! I was able to please the Major bagging 4 Mig-29s for no loss!

Tomorrow I will edit and post a new video here. I will try to include a bit of the Trackview as well.

All the best,

Sydy

Hi guys,

Took some time here to continue the campaign. Now, I got a new rig and it make much easier to fly.

On the 7th mission we fly against Mig-29Gs. On this video I used some Tacview Picture In Picture so you get a better SA what's going on. Of course, I only saw the Tacview video afterwards and it's funny to see how easy we loose Situation Awareness during the fight. I turned on lables a couple of times, the second one by mistake, but doesn't hurt much the mission quality.

During practice, I discovered that the Mig-29s are really hard to fight with the Tiger II and the only way is to embush them. If you go straight at them, they gonna get you in no time at all, even with a HO missile shot. Learnt that the hard way... :P

On the first engagement, at 24k, I sent my wingman to pincer left and I pinced low. The Migs never saw us. I went under their low 9clck, made a climbing turn and got in ther tail. My wingman was coming from their 3clck. It was a perfect pincer. I shot an AIM-9P5 on the Mig-29 wingman and got in the leader tail. The missile impact on his wingman.

The pincer was so good that my wingman and I shot at the Mig leader at the same time. His missile missed but mine got the enemy element leader. That was a very nice engagement and pretty fast.

On the second engagement, at 14kft, pretty much the same set up, but after I got their wingman I lost SA of the fight. I made a couple of turns (sorry for wasting your time) trying to locate my wingman and the Mig-29 leader just to find him turning hot on my tail and shooting a missile. I got lucky, managed to force the turn, saw the mig leader going high, I didn't have turn radius to get on his tail and went for a low yo-yo (was low on Energy). Got on his 8clck, good lock and good tone and shot him with a sidewinder.

After looking the Tacview file is easy to see that the Mig Leader just extended after I got his wingman. Tacview is an hell of a tool to understand the fight. I hope you like the PIP format.

If you have the time, here goes the video:

I hope you like the fight. I am having a lot of fun flying this Maple Flag campaign and recomend both F-5E campaign to you. I just installed the Gametrix Jetseat and it gives another level of immersion to the simulation.

Next round: F-18s!!!

All the best,

Sydy

• 1 month later...

Thanks Sydy

Hi all.

I just want to say thanks to Sydy for those videos. They were a powerful tool to defeat the bogies in the campaign. Muito obrigado desde Portugal!

To Maple Flag thanks too for this fabolous campaign because i'm learning a lot. Dogfight was very dificoult to me and now i feel more confortable...

Thanks again and continue the good work.

Firma-Ala12-RV3.jpg

Hi all.

I just want to say thanks to Sydy for those videos. They were a powerful tool to defeat the bogies in the campaign. Muito obrigado desde Portugal!

To Maple Flag thanks too for this fabolous campaign because i'm learning a lot. Dogfight was very dificoult to me and now i feel more confortable...

Thanks again and continue the good work.

Hi MRamnou,

You're welcome! De nada desde o Brasil!

It is my pleasure to share a bit of knowledge and fun with you. I will have to come back to finish the ACM campaign, but so many good campaigns came out that I kind left it aside a bit.

Anyway, I've been kicked in the butt by the Hornets, but I will find a way to defeat them. Once I do it, I will post it here.

All the best,

Sydy

• 2 weeks later...

VR should help with SA.

What we found worked was anticipating where the bandit is headed (so you can get your nose in front for a deflection shot) or making your turn at the merge early so you can get a tail shot as they go by.

Neither of which are easy but if you stick with it you will find a technique that works for you.

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates

I did it!

Still without oculus.

What Sabre said works fine. If you go to the headed bandid and forget about the one that is heading you, you got much more odds on your favor and with a liitle luck you got him. Afetar that 2 against one is much more easy to manage... Just don't lose the sight and you will be fine.

Firma-Ala12-RV3.jpg

I'm stucked with the fulcrums. I'd been very close to suceed a couple of times but always something happens. They have better planes and weapons.

I ordered the oculus rift. Maybe with those will be easyer.

They sure are hard to beat!!! Go for it!

I did it!

Still without oculus.

What Sabre said works fine. If you go to the headed bandid and forget about the one that is heading you, you got much more odds on your favor and with a liitle luck you got him. Afetar that 2 against one is much more easy to manage... Just don't lose the sight and you will be fine.

Cool! I am being beat by Migs today. Next post will be about the Hornets.

I am still resisting about buying Oculus Rift... I don´t know...

Take care.

Sydy

Hi guys,

After so many nice things coming out for DCS, I finally took some time and came back to the ACM Campaign. Now it is mission 8, against 4 F-18C Hornets.

I had to practice that a lot. These guys turn a lot and easily get on your 6.

First engagement started as usual at 24kft, I sent my wingman to pincer left and when at 10NM range, I commanded him to engage bandits. I merged with the South guy and turned toward the North guy, the one engaging my wingman so we could bracket him. The problem is that the South guy would get on my 6 for sure. I just had to be fast.

The plan worked and I managed to put a sidewinder up his butt and broke hard left using flares to avoid being shot. Sure enough the south guy was already on my 6 and I kept slicing left. He changed his mind and committed to my wingie. In the process of turning, I got way lower than both of them.

They went pretty high and I tried to get to their alt but the started turning and burning and got lower as well. I managed to get on the hornet's tail. We turned some more but I saw it was going nowhere. I extended a bit so I´d be the bait. I did that but keeping an eye on him. The guy tried to shot me down with a Sidewinder but dropped a lot of flares and got lucky.

The enemy turned into my wingie and I moved in to get a tone. They went up in the sun, I got trigger happy and shot a missile on my wingman right at the moment blackjack said to terminate. I was lucky again and the missile didn´t impact. That was a close call.

Second engament was at 14kft, I tried the same opening move but got way too close to the north guy and had to go "TOPGUN" and switched to guns. The first shot was fair but lost the opportunity, then the pipper in range sign changed to foul. I didn´t notice during the engagement and nailed the guy anyway. I almost collided with his chute, after he ejected.

I was always dropping flares during the commitment to the north guy because I knew the south guy would try to get me. Sure enough when I saw the Tacview analysis, there was a shot on me with a missile but counter measures worked and I walked away from that.

After that, the South hornet changed his mind, like the first engagement, and went for my wingman. They went high again, but this time I had enough energy to go vertical, get a good tone and fire an AIM-9-P5 on the hornet. The missile tracked and impacted well. That was fast.

If you have the time, here goes the film of both engagements.

All the best,

Sydy

Edited by Sydy
New video with better audio.