what is the best fighter for VR?

fitness88

I bought A-10c but never enjoyed flying it however the cockpit was a lot of fun to learn.

With VR attributes in mind, I'm looking for a fighter with similar technical cockpit involvement as the A-10c and in addition maximizes the VR experience.

What would you recommend?

Thank you.

Hello,

I have all the planes and for a fighter in VR....has to be mirage for overall performance. great cockpit which is truly spectacular in Vr.

however for viewing pleasure the mig-21.. is the best cockpit for viewing pleasure in vr.

if i had a choice of either one. the mirage would win.

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | RTX3090  | 64GB | HP Reverb G2 

I honestly think they are all pretty damn cool. No matter if full fledged module, or a FC3 module. In the end it comes down to what is your thing, what interests you.

Purely visual, I think the Viggen is the best. They really raised the bar with the cockpit visuals and details in that one.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Thanks everyone for your opinions!

Do they all have pointing with Rift selects and activates the switch or dial?

If I was to name a plane that I'd like to have it would be the FA-18 Super Hornet. I know this is not available, it's just the type of aircraft that appeals to me back when I flew it in Jane's F/A-18.

Having said that, I'll point out in order of preference what I'd like in my next DCS module.

English cockpit, great clarity in the cockpit so I don't have to VRzoom to see the numbers with the electronics sophistication of the A-10c, would like a 2 engine fighter, air to air/air to ground radar would be nice.

Edited by fitness88

If I was to name a plane that I'd like to have it would be the FA-18 Super Hornet. I know this is not available, it's just the type of aircraft that appeals to me back when I flew it in Jane's F/A-18.

:thumbup:

Ah the glory days, man I so loved that Jane's series!

Patience, it be a coming...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

:thumbup:

Ah the glory days, man I so loved that Jane's series!

Patience, it be a coming...

I spent some great evenings into mornings on missions. It was so much fun and a big part of that was the HyperLobby, the live open chat room. Then getting a few pilots to jump into one of the launch rooms, I wish we had that here.

Oh by the way I finally figured out how to have both Saitek software and the UI VR commands working together, I posted it.

Oh by the way I finally figured out how to have both Saitek software and the UI VR commands working together, I posted it.

Congrats!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I would say that pretty much all of the modules look outstanding in VR (I can't really recommend the Hawk at this point though).

For "cockpit involvement" I guess the M2000C is a good bet, as is the Viggen.

The M-2000C is a fighter and the AJS 37 primarily a ground attack plane...correct?

Apparently there are many issues with the M2000C, too bad the info on it reads exciting.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=184063

These 2 planes are AFM however the F-15 bundled with the FC3 package is PFM, how is it they didn't do the reverse for more costly single modules?

Edited by fitness88

I just have too many modules I want to get. I want a spit, a viggen and a mirage, also want a Huey but that's another topic. So the mirage really has great VR performance? That might have to be my next one then. But I never hear much about the M2000C, how is it as a module?

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

I bought A-10c but never enjoyed flying it however the cockpit was a lot of fun to learn.

With VR attributes in mind, I'm looking for a fighter with similar technical cockpit involvement as the A-10c and in addition maximizes the VR experience.

What would you recommend?

Thank you.

'HiTech' I'd say M2000. If you are willing to try older stuff, F-5 is fantastic.

Can you fly high tech very well in VR? I flew F16 for many years before converting to DCS a10. Found it a bit slow so jumped in the spit, which coincides with going VR. Having had MFD's extracted to 2nd screen, not sure how clicking on MFD in VR creen would compare particularly in those air or ground action moments when mode and settings changes are needed so fast.

I'm thinking F18 in straits of Hormuz when released, provided thereby is some kind of 'hands inside' technology by then, and as long as I haven't got hooked on ww2 and joined a squad. Which is also a possibility.

So how are you finding flying high tech in VR

ASUS Maximus X Hero; i7-8700K OC'd @ 5 Ghz; Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 AMP Extreme 8GB; 32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3200Mhz RAM; 500GB Samsung EVO 960 SSD; Warthog HOTAS; Saitek Pro Flight Rudder pedals; HP Reverb VR; Realtus Forcefeel Game Pad running on SimShaker for Aviators software. :thumbup:

In the A-10c I noticed you can point with your Rift projected 'white dot' at any cockpit controller and it automatically activates it so it can be turned/flipped with the HOTAS button.

Do all 3D modules have the same Rift projected 'white dot'?

Astronut: I take it you fly the M2000C, what about the forums all talking about the bugs with the plane?

Edited by fitness88

In the A-10c I noticed you can point with your Rift projected 'white dot' at any cockpit controller and it automatically activates it so it can be turned/flipped with the HOTAS button.

Do all 3D modules have the same Rift projected 'white dot'?

I would think that is global for the VR and should apply.

Also you can assign in the UI layer of the game's settings. I have my mouse click assigned to a button on my throttle, press the button and the crosshairs come up, then look at the switch with the Rift to get the crosshair over the switch, press the button again to flip the switch.

• Like 1

Don B

Not a modern fighter, but I find the spitfire is amazing in VR. The Huey is awesome as well. In both, the cockpit just feels so real, especially because the pilots body is visible and the viewpoint is correctly placed where his head is (some modules this is not the case). In both these modules, I often find myself moving my arm to reach a certain switch and wondering why the virtual pilots arm didn't move ;)

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Not a modern fighter, but I find the spitfire is amazing in VR. The Huey is awesome as well. In both, the cockpit just feels so real, especially because the pilots body is visible and the viewpoint is correctly placed where his head is (some modules this is not the case). In both these modules, I often find myself moving my arm to reach a certain switch and wondering why the virtual pilots arm didn't move ;)

Agree with Spit is beautiful in VR. I too find myself sometimes reaching for a switch LOL.

Don B

Sandman1330: Yes I know what you mean, when I fly the SU-27 it's the same feeling of head/body co-ordination, it's very realistic. Too bad not all planes show pilots.

dburne: Thanks for that confirmation on the head tracking to cockpit controls.

I think it's between the Mirage M20003 and the AJS-37. I like both but I'm more inclined to go with the Mirage but as previously mentioned they are waiting for an update to fix some issues that are apparently quite bothersome.

Between the Mirage M20003 and the AJS-37 which has the more current navigation [iNS/GPS/real time ground mapping], radar [ground/air] , and weapon systems?

Edited by fitness88

Do you find the HMD system in the SU-27 making the fighter better when you have a VR display ?

yes and no. first of all you gotta see the enemy to engage it. the first gen vr headsets have a really bad visual quality. even with maximum supersampling (which kills the fps) you wont get a crystal clear image. thus far away targets are a problem. but once you get close the action is thrilling.

1:1 ratio head movement makes it quite easy to lock onto targets with hmd mode of su-27. but once the enemy gets on your tail it becomes really tyring to look behind.

Between the Mirage M20003 and the AJS-37 which has the more current navigation [iNS/GPS/real time ground mapping], radar [ground/air] , and weapon systems?
The Mirage is the more advanced aircraft, as it is a generation ahead of the Viggen. Although your not going to get moving maps or gps, the INS system is pretty good and well implemented. Interacting with it is also very simple once you get the hang of it, certainly more comparable to the A10C but nowhere near as complex. As for Radar/Weapons its the same story, although the current Mirage module doesnt have A2G Radar implemented, it might be a possibilty in the future, but imagine it will take some time.

From a personal point of view i have gotten alot of enjoyment from learning the Mirage, its probably the only aircraft currently which i have learnt to the same level as the A10C and it feels like home when i get back into the pit. Its a very capable fighter and can conduct A2G missions fairly compentently.

From a VR perspective, i have found myself having to VR zoom a little more in the Viggen, but this maybe just because i'm not quite up to speed on it yet. In the Mirage i have flown alot and have never had a thought of being restricted in anyway operating it. HUD is nice and clear and all the "important" switches are easy to see and find in different light conditions. The dials can be compared to most other modules, sometimes it might take a second glance, but really isnt a problem.

A little of the Viggen as i say i cannot comment to much on operation as i'm still learning, but the feel and look of it in VR is probably the best available at the moment. This isnt saying the Mirage is not quality, far from it, it looks very very good in VR. The Viggen is definatly a bit more workload as it is an older airframe, you have to think a little more about cockpit interaction and procedures for different phases of a sortie, aswell as being aware of INS drift.

I dont want to go on anymore, i think its safe to say both modules are definatly worth a purchase. I do think the Mirage will be a good "bridge" airframe to learn, as you still have the HUD and more modern systems. You will have to use instruments a bit more than the A10C and the interaction with them can be good fun.

Edited by Shadow.D.

The Mirage is the more advanced aircraft, as it is a generation ahead of the Viggen. Although your not going to get moving maps or gps, the INS system is pretty good and well implemented. Interacting with it is also very simple once you get the hang of it, certainly more comparable to the A10C but nowhere near as complex. As for Radar/Weapons its the same story, although the current Mirage module doesnt have A2G Radar implemented, it might be a possibilty in the future, but imagine it will take some time.

From a personal point of view i have gotten alot of enjoyment from learning the Mirage, its probably the only aircraft currently which i have learnt to the same level as the A10C and it feels like home when i get back into the pit. Its a very capable fighter and can conduct A2G missions fairly compentently.

From a VR perspective, i have found myself having to VR zoom a little more in the Viggen, but this maybe just because i'm not quite up to speed on it yet. In the Mirage i have flown alot and have never had a thought of being restricted in anyway operating it. HUD is nice and clear and all the "important" switches are easy to see and find in different light conditions. The dials can be compared to most other modules, sometimes it might take a second glance, but really isnt a problem.

A little of the Viggen as i say i cannot comment to much on operation as i'm still learning, but the feel and look of it in VR is probably the best available at the moment. This isnt saying the Mirage is not quality, far from it, it looks very very good in VR. The Viggen is definatly a bit more workload as it is an older airframe, you have to think a little more about cockpit interaction and procedures for different phases of a sortie, aswell as being aware of INS drift.

I dont want to go on anymore, i think its safe to say both modules are definatly worth a purchase. I do think the Mirage will be a good "bridge" airframe to learn, as you still have the HUD and more modern systems. You will have to use instruments a bit more than the A10C and the interaction with them can be good fun.

Shadow.D. thank you for that great information.

Firstly as you see I mentioned about there being a major bug reported by many in the M2000C forum...do you know what I'm referring to and exactly how is it impacting the sim?

Is the cockpit in French, if so is there an English mod out there that you know of?

From the photos I take it the DCS version as well does mid-air refuel and can carry drop tank ?

Edited by fitness88

I guess it depends on what version of DCS you are using, i get the feeling there might be more problems with 2.0 versions.

Honestly i wouldnt like to comment on current bugs as i have not flown the Mirage since the Viggen release. I can say that the time i spent in the aircraft pre 1.5.6 (Viggen Update). There really wasnt any major bugs that inhibited flying sorties in the Mirage, was able to learn everything i needed to without any issues and flew the campaign with no problems outside of a couple of editor related bugs.

But they are very good with mission/campaign updates which can be found on the forums before they are included with any DCS updates, if you dont want to wait for ED.

I would advise having a little dig deeper into this, see what others say. As for 2.0 versions i cannot comment as i do not really fly on NTTR. It could be worth waiting for the next 1.5.6 update before purchasing either module, as i'm sure alot of the niggling bugs will be sorted (assuming more dont arise).

The cockpit is in French, but honestly it didnt bother me. I'm sure there are English mods, but i couldnt confirm that. As for the French, its kind of takes a back seat as really your learning what the switches do and the layout, as you would other aircraft. Once you know that, it becomes second nature hitting the switches you need. Tooltips are in english as a backup and everything else is relatable to every other aircraft in terms of dials/readouts. So i really didnt have any issues.

There is also alot of learning material out there for the Mirage, some very good youtube series going over most aspects. I'm sure you are already aware of these channels, but if not they are very good, along side the flight manual. Everything i have needed has been covered.

youtube.com/user/4023446

youtube.com/channel/UCgf5iXct_J8EQ_erBSsu6OA

Indeed the Mirage is capable of A2A refueling, it uses the probe-and-drogue method. Which is different and interesting to use, easier in some ways to the A10C, but also different challenges (getting used to the fly-by-wire during this can be tricky). But with training and with the advantages of VR depth perception, is satisfying to get it right.

It can carry up to three drop tanks for long range sorties, the central drop tank is slightly smaller than the wing bags and is sufficient for most flights.

Out of interest have you got the thread link for this major bug, in the Mirage forum? Would be interesting to take a look.

Edited by Shadow.D.

I guess it depends on what version of DCS you are using, i get the feeling there might be more problems with 2.0 versions.

Honestly i wouldnt like to comment on current bugs as i have not flown the Mirage since the Viggen release. I can say that the time i spent in the aircraft pre 1.5.6 (Viggen Update). There really wasnt any major bugs that inhibited flying sorties in the Mirage, was able to learn everything i needed to without any issues and flew the campaign with no problems outside of a couple of editor related bugs.

But they are very good with mission/campaign updates which can be found on the forums before they are included with any DCS updates, if you dont want to wait for ED.

I would advise having a little dig deeper into this, see what others say. As for 2.0 versions i cannot comment as i do not really fly on NTTR. It could be worth waiting for the next 1.5.6 update before purchasing either module, as i'm sure alot of the niggling bugs will be sorted (assuming more dont arise).

The cockpit is in French, but honestly it didnt bother me. I'm sure there are English mods, but i couldnt confirm that. As for the French, its kind of takes a back seat as really your learning what the switches do and the layout, as you would other aircraft. Tooltips are in english and everything else is relatable to every other aircraft in terms of dials/readouts. So i really didnt have any issues.

There is also alot of learning material out there for the Mirage, some very good youtube series going over most aspects. I'm sure you are already aware of these channels, but if not they are very good, along side the flight manual. Everything i have needed has been covered.

youtube.com/user/4023446

youtube.com/channel/UCgf5iXct_J8EQ_erBSsu6OA

Indeed the Mirage is capable of A2A refueling, it uses the probe-and-drogue method. Which is different and interesting to use, easier in some ways to the A10C, but also different challenges (getting used to the fly-by-wire during this can be tricky). But with training and with the advantages of VR depth perception, is satisfying to get it right.

It can carry up to three drop tanks for long range sorties, the central drop tank is slightly smaller than the wing bags and is sufficient for most flights.

Out of interest have you got the thread link for this major bug, in the Mirage forum? Would be interesting to take a look.

I'm doing my research on which aircraft I want more from a time effectiveness point of view. Meaning for me the investment in the time and enjoyment I'll be putting in for the learning process has the most important value to me, not the $ to buy the aircraft.

Thanks again for the follow-up.

Edited by fitness88

Not a problem. :)

As others have mentioned, keep in mind the Viggen is really a strike aircraft, the limited A2A IR capability, is primarily for defense. The Mirage will offer the flexibility... but there is something special, about flying the Viggen as it was intended, extremely low and fast.

I hope you enjoy whichever choice you make.