Rotary Encoder Help

vortexringstate

I have a rotary encoder with a push button function.

I would like to somehow set it up so I can use the same encoder to tune Radio freqs, turn Heading bugs, make any other 'dial type' selections eg:L/R or UP down...

I plan to set up voice attack so if I say "ADF" I can then use the encoder to tune. Same for "FM" "VHF" or Weapon selections

Do you think this would be possible?

Occulus Rift i7-7700 3.6Ghz 16GB Ram 1080Ti 11GB SSDx2

If you want a computer to behave a certain way that is within the capabilities of its hardware (not mind reading) and you can change the software it is running (no stupid DRM), the answer to "is this possible?" is always "yes".

The question you should ask is "how can it be done with the least amount of effort" and "do I have or am I willing to learn the knowledge needed to pull this off".

As far as I know, VoiceAttack can switch to another profile, send key presses or launch an external application in response to a voice command. I am assuming that VoiceAttack cannot read your rotary encoder, so switching profiles won't help you.

You need another program that does the following:

• read your rotary encoder (which could be connected to a joystick interface board so it shows up as a HID controller, or you could connect it to an Arduino board and talk to it through a serial port)
  • send commands to DCS when the rotary encoder is turned (you can send key presses, write a custom Export.lua file, or use DCS-BIOS)
  • provide a way for VoiceAttack to change what commands the rotary encoder sends, either through sending key combinations or through launching a second instance of the program with certain parameters (which would send a message to the first instance of the program and then exit)

You could write such a program in just about any programming language. The ideal choice would depend on what you already know and what methods you choose to connect your rotary encoder and talk to DCS. If your rotary encoder shows up as two joystick buttons and you use key presses for everything else, you may be able to pull this off with an AutoHotkey script.