Carb Air Filter Control

blue_six

The RW Spit MkIX Pilot's Notes have a note in the "Climbing" section cautioning that leaving the air intake filter control in the filter in operation (forward) position reduces the full throttle height considerably. I'm not seeing any performance penalty from failing to move the lever to the normal (aft) position after takeoff, either in full throttle height or in straight and level max airspeed. Can anyone else confirm? I'd expect to see this modeled, eventually - perhaps we're just not there yet?

It's an air filter. You only need it on the ground.

Is should be on from before you start the engine, until after you have taken off.

And, before you land turn it one againg.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

It's an air filter. You only need it on the ground.

Is should be on from before you start the engine, until after you have taken off.

And, before you land turn it one againg.

I understand, thank you. The point I am making is that if the filter is mistakenly left on, there should be a performance penalty due to the associated restriction on the intake. I don't see this modeled in the sim, and think it should be. Just as hypoxia is modeled when you forget to turn on your oxygen, there should be consequences to this pilot error.

The reason for turn on air filter - avoid ground dust to damage engine is modeled?

I don't know, Sokol1_br, and hadn't even considered this possibility. I am more likely to forget to move the lever to "normal" after takeoff than to move it to "filter in operation" prior to landing. And unless the dust damage during and after landing was immediate and serious, or was modeled to persist and accumulate over several sorties, it seems unlikely to be an issue for me at least - at this stage, my poor Spitty seldom survives more than three or four trips before being written off in a landing accident...

I think I recall filter on having some adverse performance effects in the Mustang, so maybe they haven't been implemented in the Spit yet.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

The RW Spit MkIX Pilot's Notes have a note in the "Climbing" section cautioning that leaving the air intake filter control in the filter in operation (forward) position reduces the full throttle height considerably. I'm not seeing any performance penalty from failing to move the lever to the normal (aft) position after takeoff, either in full throttle height or in straight and level max airspeed. Can anyone else confirm? I'd expect to see this modeled, eventually - perhaps we're just not there yet?

Operating at max continuous sea level speed of 289kts, operating the filter made no difference, therefore it is not implemented.

Edited by Holbeach
changed picture.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

Good to know, one more lever thing I can safely ignore during start-up and landing ;)

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Operating at max continuous sea level speed of 289kts, operating the filter made no difference, therefore it is not implemented.

Thanks for confirming that, Holbeach. Hopefully the devs plan to implement this in the future.