Walmis F-15

rlogue

First of all ... Nice Job!

I have a question. Before I installed the new F-15 model, I could spot the LOMAC F-15 at 14 nm away and pretty much in general keep good sight of it. It seems like I lose some of that visibility with the new F-15, I have to work alot harder to spot the aircraft at distances more than a few miles. I'm wondering if anyone else has had issues like this?

:detective:

In order to save FPS, the far-distance LOD model is very simple: It's just three tubes linked together to form a triangle. You will never see this because by the time you can actually make out the aircraft shape, it has already transitioned to the LOD you're normally used to seeing (the full F-15 shape), but from far away this little triangular arrangement allows you to see that little dot at 15nm.

Walmis did mention that he hasn't put in the LODs, and that's one of them. Walmis, how about the 'far away' LOD? :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

In order to save FPS, the far-distance LOD model is very simple: It's just three tubes linked together to form a triangle. You will never see this because by the time you can actually make out the aircraft shape, it has already transitioned to the LOD you're normally used to seeing (the full F-15 shape), but from far away this little triangular arrangement allows you to see that little dot at 15nm.

Walmis did mention that he hasn't put in the LODs, and that's one of them. Walmis, how about the 'far away' LOD? :D

Ahhh .. I get it now. That's probably what's happening. Thanks Ghost.

This LOD thing, I know not much about. I installed Walmis's F-15 (which is fantastic by the way), and did some comparisons. A big issue for me in Lockon is visiblility of other aircraft.

The original F-15 comes into view as a dot at around 14 nm. Between 12 and 3 or 4 nm, the dot steadily gets a little larger and is easy to keep in sight without zooming in. At two nm, nearly disappears altogether, must be zoomed way in and "padlocked' in order to keep view. Inside two miles .. pretty easy to keep in sight and can make out most details.

Walmis F-15 will come into view at 14nm, but only if zoomed all the way in and padlocked. You would never "accidentally" see it at those distances. The aircraft becomes easier to spot around 6 nm. It is not difficult to keep the aircraft in view and doesn't dissappear at 2 nm like the original. Inside of 2 miles, extremely visible with all details, great for BFM.

I mainly just want to start a discussion about this, is there any way to take the best of both and have an F-15 visiible at distance, at 2 nm, and up close ?

• Like 1

Lets number the LODs (disclaimer: I do not know how many there are, nor all the ranges they switch at and - they switch not according to range, but also according to your zoom, ie. FoV)

LOD 1: The stuff you see up close, and the LOD that Walmis' F-15 has available

LOD 2: A lower polygon model of the aircraft you're looking at, untextured (plain white) ... This transition occurs at 2nm and is the reason for losing sight. The fact that this aircraft is untextured cannot help.

LOD 3: Transition from LOD 2 into a 'triangle' shape for far-away 'dot' effect.

Walmis' F-15 is missing LOD 2 and 3, and I think if he just adds LOD 3, we get the best of both worlds, since we will skip the LOD 3 -> 2 -> 1 transition as we close in, and we get LOD 3 -> 1.

This may or may not have an impact on FPS - you've been warned :D

ED, can you guys offer some input? Perhaps this '2nm problem' can also be corrected for other aircraft, maybe for BS?

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Thanks Walmis, good to know. There needs to be a LOD for < 30km also. ED's are 3 tubed arranged in a triangle (minimum poly count)

Edit: Walmis, can you set the distance for your LOD transition?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A good baseline would be to make it as close as possible to the default Lomac F-15. It is a somewhat easy to see "dot" at 14 nm. It's my opinion that you're model is too hard to see from the 14nm range to the 6 nm range. Inside of that, it exceeds visibility of the default aircraft.