Will passive scan only return jamming signals?

exnihilodub

Hi. I've read the manual and it says the passive scan mode returns jamming signals. Is that the real-world functionality of that feature? Wouldn't it also return some signal if someone was actively locking me up (a SAM site for example)?

I apologize if this is a noobish question, I don't know how exactly the radar systems work in real life but i was just wondering. I thought the passive scan is just like a more accurate RWR.

Thank you all

As far as I know the passive mode will return any radar echo it encounters. I think that means both jamming signals and signals such as search radars. I'm almost certain, but it would be good to have it confirmed by someone else.

I suppose it's easy enough to test. Set up a mission with a bunch of different radars at different locations and point the passive scanning nose at them. :)

I think you're misunderstanding how it works. The passive scan mode is, as far as I can tell, exactly like the regular active radar, only without the actual transmission from the antenna. Another Viggen's radar emissions might show up, but that's the extent of it. Air search radars and things like AA missile targeting radars are very unlikely to have the same frequency and PRF as the Viggen's radar.

From Jammer.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel I7 8700K / RTX 3080 / 32Go DDR4 PC21300 G.Skill Ripjaws V / MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold - 1000W / Noctua NH-D14 / Acer XB270HUDbmiprz 27" G-synch 144Hz / SSD Samsung 860EVO 250Go + 1To / Cooler Master HAF X / Warthog+VPC WarBRD / Thrustmaster TPR / Track-IR v5 + Track Clip Pro / Windows 11 64bits.