Spitfire & FFB modeling, how is it?

OnlyforDCS

So now that the Spitfire is at a discount, Im sorely tempted to buy it. The thing is Im not much of a WWII flyer, main reason being that I have problems with SA due to the visibility issues in the sim. (Probably a lot do with my low contrast, crappy monitor)

If I do buy it Im probably going to take it out for a fight or three but my question is, how is the feeling of flight (FM) and the force feedback modeling in the bird? If I do struggle with it due to my problems with keeping visual, I feel that if that part is done right at least I can enjoy the pure flight of the bird. I own a MSFFB2 joystick.

Thanks in advance for the replies. :thumbup:

Edited by OnlyforDCS

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

50% off, go for it! Definitely worth it.

It does support force feedback, so you are good to go with your MSFFB2. The FFB support is just as good as any other WWII bird on the game.

I hope you also do have rudder pedals as those are very much recommended especially for taking off and landing the Spit.

Anyhow, it is still beta, so the feel of flight still has some room for improvement.

For example, the control stiffening does not seem to be implemented yet, so at high speeds it becomes extremely difficult to fly. One cough or a sneeze during a dive leads to minor jerk on the stick, leads to instant wing snap! ...and this still well within the dive limits of the plane.

It is the most unstable gun platform of all the WWII planes, so the kills do not come easy. It is also the slowest of all the planes, so good SA would definitely help as you often get bounced by the much faster enemy.

If you do have concerns about your SA, there are few threads here on the forums about settings that help a bit, but overall it's the practice, a lot of practice, that makes a master here.

The Spit obviously has a very good turn rate and it does climb the 2nd best only to the 109K4, so gaining some altitude and then jumping on a enemy already engaged gives you the best results in multi player.

In single player, the AI model is fairly turn fight oriented, so you have very good changes against the AI.

Overall a excellent module from ED. I'm confident they'll sort out the few hiccups it still has and with the eve of the much anticipated Normandy map it will surely give you many hours exciting flying. (so, yes, be prepared to put down some more money down the line for the Normandy map)

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7 | i7-8700K | 32GB DDR4 3600 | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE | EKWB custom loop water cooling | Samsung M.2 EVO 960 500GB SSD + 2 x Crucial 250MX SSD + 4TB HD | Asus PG348Q 3440x1440 | TrackIR5 | Oculus Rift CV1 | MSFFB2 w extension + Saitek X52 Throttle + MFG Crosswind | Windows 10-64

I have an the same stick, and I think it works well. Haven't broken the wings yet - maybe more idea of what you're doing to the aircraft with ffb.

Aro Valley eh ... That cracking indy video shop still open?

I had loads of issues with wing snap to begin with. Have since solved this via:

1. Not diving.. pretty much ever (see my adopted tactics in vid below)

2. Heavily reduced curves on my stick input. Although I don't have FFB. I suspect FFB would help.

My advice for the spit is: get up above 22,000ft. Sure, you will probablay never see anyone up there on the current set of servers, but at least you'll have some speed, generally, at altitudes where the IX is more competitive.

Although, when your opponent realises this, he will dive away... at which point you should forget about trying to follow him down! :megalol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FcSjUe0k-s

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

Control stiffening is not modeled? That is the single most important part of the FFB modeling. It is also modeled correctly in the P51D and the L39. If that's the case I think I will pass on this module for the time being, thanks.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

"single most important part"?...controversial....I would have thought modelling thrust to be quite important..

Wait what? FFB == Force Feedback. Not Flight Modeling. :doh:

At least in the non-ffb version, which I use because I do not have a ffb joystick, the control stiffening is modelled for roll, although not that well ( I guess ) for yaw.

Rudder is still pretty much active at top speeds, which causes instability in yaw when trying to aim at the faster Bf109 / Fw190 ahead of you...

This was the case with the initial release of the Bf109, and probably all other modules, while they go through an update process until declared "Final".

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

The ffb is not strong enough to prevent you from moving your joystick, but of course in-game movement is limited at high speed.

I enjoy the Spit with the msffb2. It is a good buy.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Can anyone comment definitely though whether the FFB is applying correct effects based on the airspeed?

By that I mean that the stick is "floppy" on the ground or near stall speed and stiffens as the airspeed picks up? (Also near stall shakes, do we get those at least?)

Edited by OnlyforDCS

Yes.

Sorry I keep harping on about this but yes, what? :) Yes on everything, the forces, or just on the stall shakes?

• Like 1

Can anyone comment definitely though whether the FFB is applying correct effects based on the airspeed?

By that I mean that the stick is "floppy" on the ground or near stall speed and stiffens as the airspeed picks up? (Also near stall shakes, do we get those at least?)

yes and no...just like with all the other ww2 birds, yes, the stick stiffens up above stall speeds, and yes you feel buffeting just fine...as to your question whether ffb is applying correct effects based on airspeed, i say no...while the stick does stiffen up above stall speed, from then on, its pretty much the same force you feel, and whether you go 200 or 400 makes no difference...interestingly, dcs does not seem to use the full force the sidewinder can provide...you can feel this in other sims, where the stick does stiffen up much more and where you can feel what the sidewinder is capable of in regards of centering force. i hope they will adjust this in future and make the stick stiffen up even more at higher speeds, so that we can feel a difference between lets say 200 and 400...

all in all though, dcs does the best job in implementing ffb of all the sims out there i think...lets hope they improve it even further.

• Like 1

Thank you DavidRed. That's the answer I was looking for. I understand that there is not much of a push towards comprehensive force feedback support, but at least we get what we get, which is plenty enough to get a good handle on the WWII birds.

Think Ill go and purchase the Spit now. :)

Edited by OnlyforDCS