Using VR and Hotas warthog

Hi guys,

I have been trying some VR and I really like it so I was thinking about buying it for my pc.

Today I use a trackir pro5 and that works great with the tm warthog, I was wondering how well does vr work with joystick/keyboard?? or if I buy the airplane modules for f15, su27, viggen can I use the real buttons?

Anyone have experience with the setup?

The Warthog setup with VR is fantastic. Pressing keys on the keyboard, while can be done ( there is a small gap built in below the nose of the Rift), is certainly not easy and cumbersome.

I have most of my regular used commands assigned to buttons on my joystick and throttle, which works very well with the Rift. You can also press buttons in the cockpit with your mouse. I find it easier with VR, as I have trouble reading small things and in VR it is pretty much actual size, for me much easier to see. Although the resolution is not as good as a good monitor, some instruments folks report are hard to read. I fly mainly the KA-50 and Spitfire, I have no difficulty with those.

The main thing I find I need the keyboard for is ATC commands, but will probably get Voice Attack next so I can do those with voice commands instead.

I will say this, I have had my Rift a little over a month now, and I don't see myself gaming on my 2d monitor again. The immersion is just too dang good.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

i have the CV1 and also a warthog, while as stated you can press some keys (which i occasionally do, i use Voice Attack which i program with whatever i want and that presses the keys in the sim.

would defo recommend voice attack

Cheers Specter

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

They have made the radio menus mouse clickable. So as long as you can find your mouse along with a button to actually engage the menu, you should be ok.

This really isn't necessary - just map the mouse buttons to a hat on your HOTAS (POV L = LMB, POV R = RMB for eg) and it works very well - no need for mouse at all. You can even map the mousewheel, too.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

I use the mic switch forward for left click and mic switch back for right click on the hawg throttle, but to be honest, it doesn't really work when you have to virtually spin your neck to reach some buttons in some air frames, hence the use of voice attack.

I also use voice attack for combinations of key inputs.

example: i say get weapons

voice attach does:

#

then

F11

then

F8

then

F1

its very handy for stuff like that

if i am in the A10 i just say lights on, and voice attack does

LCTRL P

then

flicks the lights switch up

Thanks Specter

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

I have HTC Vive since December 30 2016, and I have been playing Elite Dangerous in VR ever since. The VR experience it's so incredible (i7 6850K CPU, 64GB of RAM, 1080GTX) that playing DCS in 2D monitor just doesn't cut it anymore. As of today, I'm starting to learn how to pilot the Huey in VR, time to setup my Cougar HOTAS. Playing flight simulators, racing games and space sims like Elite Dangerous in VR is personal dream come true...I have been waiting for this moment my whole life!

Edited by JG53_Jaguar

Had used VAC for years for voice commands, but I got fed up with it because it was unrealistic and also took some fiddling with having TS or similar running whilst online and having to have two buttons assigned to PTT functions.

I often gave out voice commands on TS :doh:

I did originally plan to use it again with VR, but so far I'm happy without it - though I do agree that some of the controls are a real PITA - like where in real life you would just drop your hand and pull up or release a lever, but in VR it's a literal pain in the neck. I usually turn my head as much as is comfortable and then push the headset a little further with my finger until the cursor is on the required control.

Not ideal, but it does the job.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

OK, it seems I can't get the SteamVR to work with my DCS (which not a Steam version). I have SteamVR running just fine (all green) but DCS doesn't detect the HMD. I have Elite Dangerous non-Steam version and the first thing I do is run SteamVR then I run Elite Dangerous which picks up the HMD and VR works great. I could really use your help!

Thank you!

This really isn't necessary - just map the mouse buttons to a hat on your HOTAS (POV L = LMB, POV R = RMB for eg) and it works very well - no need for mouse at all. You can even map the mousewheel, too.

I was thinking from my POV, since I use all my hats for combat related functions. Though I am also missing one (CMS) due to gravitational incident. I just ordered my Rift today, and will be going to pick it up soon. Maybe I should see if thrustmaster will sell me a stand-alone handle.

Hi guys :)

Thanks for all the awesome input :)

I have prepared a room for my vr experience, the voice attack system does sound really cool, but the feeling of actually pushing the right buttons and be able to freaking do it in a real plane would be awesome :)

I have been looking at leap motions addon for the vr so that I can use my hands for in game interaction...

anyone know anything about that??