will DCS 2.5 break the sound barrier?

hannibal

for jets like the F15, upcoming F14 and F18..

will we see the vapor effects and air compression?

thanks!

i am looking forward to the new weather engine and more atmospheric effects for when DCS2.5 is released.

Overwing vapor is in the works, though I do not know if that will work in this specific case.

The question at least in your title is a tad misleading... That vapor effect only appears if the humidity of the air is high enough. Not seeing that doesn't mean the aircraft didn't go supersonic. The only sure mark for a supersonic flight that always happens is the sonic boom.

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

DCS Finland | SF squadron

Not seeing that doesn't mean the aircraft didn't go supersonic.

Likewise, seeing it doesn't mean the aircraft went supersonic. :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

That vapor effect only appears if the humidity of the air is high enough.t

Which seems to be the case often it would seem as I have seen wing vapor off of planes in apparently all kinds of weather. It is an effect that is sorely needed and seems to be beyond ED's capabilities currently which is kinda nuts to think about considering where we are in graphics capabilities in the industry as a whole. Just seems to be an effect ED cannot create and employ sadly. Hopefully they can actually achieve this apparently monumental task one day.

Just google image search a jet, most likely you will see quite a few with wing vapor showing. Not such a rare occurrence. Falcon 4 was able to create an effect that worked in 1998, Almost 20 yrs later, seemingly an impossible task for others. Go figure.

Which seems to be the case often it would seem as I have seen wing vapor off of planes in apparently all kinds of weather. It is an effect that is sorely needed and seems to be beyond ED's capabilities currently which is kinda nuts to think about considering where we are in graphics capabilities in the industry as a whole. Just seems to be an effect ED cannot create and employ sadly. Hopefully they can actually achieve this apparently monumental task one day.

Just google image search a jet, most likely you will see quite a few with wing vapor showing. Not such a rare occurrence. Falcon 4 was able to create an effect that worked in 1998, Almost 20 yrs later, seemingly an impossible task for others. Go figure.

Well. Overwing vapor effect is on EDs to-do list for 2.5, so here's hoping...

Oh I am alright. DCS just has a lot of hoping always tied to it. :noexpression:

Yep. That unfortunately has been the case for a long time.

It's an awesome effect, no doubt. All these sort of effects do add to the atmosphere and immersion of being in an aircraft. Not necessary for the action itself, but I personally feel they would add up.

Humidity and air density has to be modeled before vapor compression can be implemented, neither of which exist in DCS yet..afaik.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

3D Art Developers can integrate vapor Easily if they want to, but the behavior would be dependant on cockpit systems code, so it would be visible to other players.

(Similar to MiG-21/AJS-37 AfterBurner)

Humidity and air density has to be modeled before vapor compression can be implemented, neither of which exist in DCS yet..afaik.

Wingtip Vortices are determined by multiple factors now, with humidity being one.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

3D Art Developers can integrate vapor Easily if they want to, but the behavior would be dependant on cockpit systems code, so it would be visible to other players.

(Similar to MiG-21/AJS-37 AfterBurner)

Wingtip Vortices are determined by multiple factors now, with humidity being one.

Humidity isnt actually modeled as of right now...and if it is, then its poorly modeled. Maybe as a visual stand point it is, but it doesnt affect takeoff distances, manifold pressure, or degrade or enhance performance in any way. I just tested this, and yeah wingtip vortices were present during a major rainstorm on takeoff, even more so than on a sunny day. Air temperature IS modelled quite nicely though.

Point taken, but to be fair you arent going to see a shock cone form on a hot, dry sunny day. But I see your point, a'la VRS SuperHornet.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

• 2 years later...

This is a two year old thread, vapor was added some time ago. You won't see it unless the conditions are right. I.e. high humidity and often high alpha maneuvering as well. That video is in the Nevada desert, so it's probably less prone to vaping.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

That video shows vapor on the Mirage, it’s just not on the F-5 yet. I forget which thread, but I think someone at ED said right now it only relates to G and not humidity until their new humidity model is out

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

It’s very pretty on the 29, also only one with wing flexing

I'm pretty sure i've seen wing flex on SU27 (and possibly 33 as well)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Simming since 2005

My Rig: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, AMD Ryzen7 2700X, G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200, EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Gaming, Corsair HX850