Removable front doors possible?

ben1101

Hi,

Is there a way to remove the pilot door or at least make it invisible to make practicing sling loads with a rift easier? Having the door open sucks. If someone knows how to do this could you let me know or release a mod?

Regards!

i5 4690K, GTX1070, 24GB 1800mhz, HP WMR, Custom FFB helicopter controls.

Yes I do too but it makes it a lot harder to get a visual reference looking down with it in the way,

I was wondering too whether due to the armor plating that slides into place when the door closes whether civilian hueys have their seat positioned closer to the door because leaning out from the left seat visibility is terrible seeing as you are sat so far inboard. I realize that you would have to move the inside pedal and cyclic so its probably not the case. Either way I find even with the rift on I have to slew the eye point a half foot outboard to see over the edge while leaning out.

Also I see in videos with hueys doing sling loads the pilot is sitting in the left seat, usually with a bubble window to accommodate looking down, maybe to help with leverage as you are leaning over the collective?

Anyway, this is mostly speculation - I wonder if anyone has material related to sling load operations in the huey?

Edited by ben1101

Yup - you have your flight engineer con you over the load for hookup and over the unload point for drop off ;)

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

I have read in a few different books that the left seat hing has more to do with how the panel is on the Huey. On the left hand side the panel is shorter in width, doesn't go all the way outboard like it does on the right side. A lot of units in Vietnam were using the practice of copilots on the right side, pilots/aircraft commanders sat on the left because the view was better. That might be why you keep seeing pilots on the left in those videos.

~S

Also I see in videos with hueys doing sling loads the pilot is sitting in the left seat, usually with a bubble window to accommodate looking down, maybe to help with leverage as you are leaning over the collective?

Yes, if they were sitting on the right side, they wouldn't be able to properly handle the collective while leaning into the bubble.

Some also have a set of gauges in the door.

Interesting stuff thanks guys!

I can't get over how amazing the Huey is in VR, the flight model feels spot on.

How about editing the 3d model of the Huey and deleting the doors? Eight Ball, don't you know somebody making a Bell 47 module for DCS? Could you ask him what program to use and how to load up a DCS model into it? Ill give it a red hot go from there :)

Eight Ball, don't you know somebody making a Bell 47 module for DCS? Could you ask him what program to use and how to load up a DCS model into it? Ill give it a red hot go from there :)

If I'm not mistaken, the program is 3DsMax...not cheap

If you succeed you will be able to tease us, will probably receive dozen of requests to share it, people offering their wife or their pet for a night but if removing the doors implies modifying the 3d model, you wont be able to share it sad.gif

Furthermore, No User Modifications are Permitted to Re-Distribute Any Eagle Dynamics owned I.P.

These Include:

-Protected/UnProtected DLLs and Associated LUA Code

-Cockpit EDM Files

-External Model EDM Files

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=178996
Edited by Eight Ball

Cool thanks for the heads up!

That's something that I wouldn't have thought about - So does that mean that say editing the 3D Model to make the doors invisible is tampering with the model? So the only legal way to do it and share would be a texture mod which wont do the job.

So the best idea is to approach Belsimtek I think.