3* Robot 04E

Ice_Cougar

Am I the only one who wants it? I mean, I end-up landing with ~60% fuel after D.E.A.D. and maritime-patrol flights using auto-throttle to hold me at an economic airspeed (Even using the burner to get out-of sticky situations with Migs and SAMs) so...Not having the X-tank isn't too big of a problem for me. ;)

Could this be possible? :music_whistling:

A37_mrb04.jpg~original

viggen_done_4.jpg

viggen_done_3.jpg

(I'm pretty sure these are SH/AJSH-37s though so I'm not too sure if the Attack Viggens could do this...)

As Outbaxx states the RB 04E can not be launched from the Centerline.

Word is it could be mounted there but you could not launch it from there (so it could in theory be used to transport missiles for example to a roadbase etc).

Not sure about the first Picture but since its unpainted i would guess its an AJ (since the SH 37 entered service after the Splinter camo had become standard).

And the Model on the second picture is Sporting the F15 markers which would make it a AJ 37.

The original AJ 37 SFI claims that the aircraft can carry three rb 04's but I'm pretty sure it's actually wrong. IIRC the story goes something like this: they wanted it to be able to carry three, but the ground clearance for the third ended up being impractically small and after a few tests they ended up never actually wiring the centerline pylon for the missile on most (all?) production aircraft. Later versions of the SFI say two missiles only.

The first photo might actually be one of the prototypes - it has no squadron or wing markings at all.

You could hang a Rb04 on the center hardpoint, but only for ferry. But its radome would be peppered with sand and debris from the nosewheels, so it wasn't really practical.

The idea was to ferry a missile out to a road base. But as most (virtually all) Viggens carried X-tanks this would take some time to re-arm.

Thank you everyone for the responses. I figured the first pic was of an SH because the EP-13 sight isn't present but then again the AJ didn't have it either (I think...I don't know when Sweden bought/implemented RB-75 and EP-13 into the Viggen's arsenal)

I figured it was only to ferry RB-04s as I've seen a picture of other Viggens with impossible loadouts just to either ferry or display (Such as carrying RB-15F with BK-90) so this makes sense. I simply made the thread because I wanted some clarification from the ~2 people I've ever seen ask the question.

Thanks again to you all!

Thank you everyone for the responses. I figured the first pic was of an SH because the EP-13 sight isn't present but then again the AJ didn't have it either (I think...I don't know when Sweden bought/implemented RB-75 and EP-13 into the Viggen's arsenal)

I figured it was only to ferry RB-04s as I've seen a picture of other Viggens with impossible loadouts just to either ferry or display (Such as carrying RB-15F with BK-90) so this makes sense. I simply made the thread because I wanted some clarification from the ~2 people I've ever seen ask the question.

Thanks again to you all!

My understanding is that the RB 75 was ordered around 1975 with deliveries during 1977-1978 so the modifications where probably done around that timeframe.

(im sure Someone else has more info on the subject)

But since the Viggen on the first picture lacks Unit markings it might be one of the Prototypes

(or it might be that it was stripped before being made a "museum aircraft").