F/A-18E,F,G, Advanced Super Hornet - Block III+ - F/A-18XT

SkateZilla

Whitehouse/Trump is now Labeling it as:

F/A-18XT

And Plans to Buy "A Large Order"

https://www.dodbuzz.com/2017/02/17/trump-order-fa-18xt-super-hornets/?ESRC=dodbuzz.sm

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Good, it'll keep the line open long enough for Canada to buy a full fleet of them.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

It's going to be huge....sorry. canuck couldn't help it.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

No no no, it's YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE, folks.

But seriously, President Trump is just playing chess again. Yuge chess, at that. It's gonna be great.

Lord of Salt

It's already driven the price down for the 35. I can see the price dropping even more.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

The article outlines the Advanced Super Hornet best complimenting the E-2D, E/A-18G & F-35, so I'm hoping we could get a low enough price on the advanced supers to possibly invest in both.

Intel i7-4790K 4GHz l 32 GB DDR3 l MSI 1080ti l Gigabyte 97ZX l TrackIR + DelanClip l TM Warthog HOTAS l CH Pedals

AV-8B l AJS-37 l A-10A l A-10C l F-15C l F-16C l F-5E l F-14A/B l F-86F l F/A-18C l Hawk l M2000 l MiG 29 l NTTR l Persian Gulf l Su-27 l Su-33 l Su-25 l Supercarrier l L-39 l UH-1 l

Just watch the stock... :-)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Poor F-35. I remember when, ironically, F/A-18 Hornet was going through the same. When people called it a bad airplane design and that F/A-14 is just better at everything and Tomcat pilots protesting etc.

It is funny to see it inverted on its head because I've not seen any pilot complain about the F-35 but all the politicians and civies seem to be quite mad saying the plane is a poor fighter and bomber

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

I've not seen any pilot complain about the F-35 but all the politicians and civies seem to be quite mad saying the plane is a poor fighter and bomber

You don't bite the hand that feeds you...

PC: i7-13700K - MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X Trio - 32GB DDR5 6200 - VPC MongoosT-50CM3 - VKB GF pro - MFG Crosswind - Msi MPG321UR-QD + Acer XB271HU - TrackIR5 - Rift S

Plenty of pilots that don't fly it complain. They see it as money that could be spent on maintaining/upgrading their platform. Besides, the military is full of people with different political opinions, just like everywhere else. Hornet drivers in the 80s didn't hate the Hornet, they loved it. It was the Tomcat guys who were doing all the trash talking. Think about it:

- No NFO in the back

- FCS that will give you 50 degrees of alpha... utterly impossible in the Tomcat

- Gucci avionics (especially for the time)

- Varied mission set

I dont think the Plan is to replace F-35s w/ F/A-18XTs,

more Along the lines of Bring in Competitive Competition to bring costs down, as Right now Lockheed assumes they are the only fighter the US Will pay for, so costs are high, and they have no incentive to reach goals on time.

The Same Reason AMD competing w/ Intel is good, otherwise, you're gonna keep paying $1000 Plus for a $400 CPU

Some things to note:

-F/A-18XT is likely just a code name, IIRC It was Mentioned Single and 2 Seater Block III's would be F/A-18J/K's if Approved, not sure what Block Canada is ordering.

-EA-18Gs already have some of the Block III items that the I/II Fleet Birds do not have yet, Upgrading the EA-18Gs to Block III would be cheap.

-F-35Cs would not replace any of the EA-18Gs, they are supposed to fly together, there will be no EW Variant of the F-35's

-F/A-18 Super Hornet Block III's would have all new systems integrated to make it on the level of the F-35 in terms of cockpit functionality, weapons, sensors and networking, allowing vastly improved data links and comms, capabilities etc.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Anything is better then trying to keep the Old Legacy Hornets flying way past there limits.

This won't change that. F-35s are being produced and already more or less paid for. This will mean ramming another huge procurement through congress, at a time when politically they are trying to claim fiscal responsibility. That's gonna take a lot of time and haggling. Where does that money come from? The F-35 program? So you'd be subbing F-35s for SHornets, ones that have never been built before, and on a relatively short run. By the time they ramp up to production, it'll be years down the line and billions over budget.

Or you can do the sensible thing. Work out a deal for a cheaper block buy and let the F-35C and B ramp up on schedule and get the replacements sooner and closer to a reasonable budget.

let the F-35C and B ramp up on schedule and get the replacements sooner and closer to a reasonable budget.

That isn't so simple with the new F-35C nose gear issue, especially if it requires a redesign or some sort of mechanical adjustment. A redesign is pretty unlikely but if that was the road traveled, it would be lots of time, lots of testing, and inherently lots more money. Mechanical adjustments (your guess is as good as mine as to what that even means) would take much less time, require less testing, and more money, but not nearly as much as a redesign. What's a few extra million anyway? :music_whistling:

I dont see how the nose gear issue even exists this late in the stage, as they were trapping and launching from a land based system for over a year w/ the testing teams.

the EMALS used on the land based launch testing is from what I'm told a smoother launch compared to steam. They Did Carrier quals on CVN-73, which doesnt run the EMALS system.

The Problem isnt a Structural one, it's a gripe, that every plane has, but the media has decided to front row and center it, because, hey, it's the F-35, everything is a 5 Star Major fault.

The Issue is, During Launch, there is Vibrations and a Pretty Beefy Kick at the End of the catapult run.

EVERY NAVY PILOT I KNOW, says this happens on EVERY NAVY PLANE, F/A-18s, E-2s, C-2s, EVERYTHING.

The News is amping it up into a story they can sell.

Edited by SkateZilla

I read an article that said the issue was at the beginning of the cat stroke, not the end. It also said that two pilots have been injured by it. So while the media may be sensationalizing it, it is a real issue. That said, it only occurs with a very lightly loaded airplane, and the they don't shoot light airplanes very often outside of CQs.

It's bad, not just like a Rhino. I spoke to a VFA-101 guy who said they bounce around so much while taxiing that its hard to keep paper on the dash from falling to the floor. Even worse on the boat. He implied that the exceptionally high tire pressures may be the problem, and although the nose gear is working exactly as designed, engineers took the precedence of optimal flight deck operation over pilot comfort a little too far.

This isn't a case of media distortion, although it's not some kind of show-stopper. Exactly the kind of problem the developmental testing seeks to find.