Spotting Aircraft

Scottvdken

Just wondering if any of you have any tweaks to help improve spotting. I play on 2560x1080, everything on highest graphics settings, yet I have tremendous trouble spotting aircraft even a few miles away. The only time I ever see them is if they are high up and creating trails. I have to rely on constant bogey dopes from AWACS to get me anywhere near anybody else.

Is there anything you guys do to make spotting easier, or is it just a matter of my eyes sucking? :geek:

In-game: Badger

I5-6600k @ 4.5 | MSI Z170A Krait | GTX 1070 G1 | 32Gb Ripjaw | Corsair H60 AIO | X-55 Rhino HOTAS | TrackIR 5 | Saitek Pro Pedals

A-10 Warthog: For the times when absolutely, positively everything must die.

A10C | F/A-18C | F-14B | M2000C | AJS37 | UH1 | FC3

To be honest, I've heard people complain about this, but I haven't had any issues myself, in VR (which is supposed to be even worse).

I have the model enlargement setting (can't remember what it's called just now) set at medium. I can spot fighters like the F-15C some way off - well out of gun range. I can't always recognise which aircraft it is, but I can see that it is there, quite easily.

This is on the standard VR settings in the options, with textures on high.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

To be honest, I've heard people complain about this, but I haven't had any issues myself, in VR (which is supposed to be even worse).

I have the model enlargement setting (can't remember what it's called just now) set at medium. I can spot fighters like the F-15C some way off - well out of gun range. I can't always recognise which aircraft it is, but I can see that it is there, quite easily.

This is on the standard VR settings in the options, with textures on high.

Are you talking about in a multiplayer environment? My understanding was that the object scaling is defined for the server, so whatever I have it set to in options is overridden?

I5-6600k @ 4.5 | MSI Z170A Krait | GTX 1070 G1 | 32Gb Ripjaw | Corsair H60 AIO | X-55 Rhino HOTAS | TrackIR 5 | Saitek Pro Pedals

Model Enlargement is currently AFAIK disabled. Spotting is something that is initially very hard to do in DCS, but eventually people get better at it.

A lot of it is down to the hardware people use (both monitors and GFX cards) and the settings. Let me point you to this thread, where you can check the discussion on the topic so far:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=157129&page=41

It is definitely one of the few weak points of this otherwise great simulator, but ED is aware of the issues and is probably coming up with a new system.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

anti aliasing and anisotropic filtering at 2x helps. 0x is better but becomes very ugly graphics wise.

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

anti aliasing and anisotropic filtering at 2x helps. 0x is better but becomes very ugly graphics wise.

So you're saying I should turn mine down? I currently have it on the highest settings

Model Enlargement is currently AFAIK disabled. Spotting is something that is initially very hard to do in DCS, but eventually people get better at it.

A lot of it is down to the hardware people use (both monitors and GFX cards) and the settings. Let me point you to this thread, where you can check the discussion on the topic so far:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=157129&page=41

It is definitely one of the few weak points of this otherwise great simulator, but ED is aware of the issues and is probably coming up with a new system.

Ok, so I read through all 40+ pages of this, and even though it does not offer a solution, it is somewhat reassuring to see this is a known issue among the community. I am on a 30" 2560x1080 monitor, with a GTX1070. I do not believe hardware is the issue. I guess at this point it is simply a matter of waiting on ED to give us a scaling fix?

By hardware, I don't mean a performance issue. More akin to color and contrast setup, backlighting and the type of LCD/LED panel used. For example my own monitor has a terrible color gamut, the colors look all washed out compared to how they look on my big screen TV. (Which is a Plasma). I've managed to play around in the settings to get some kind of acceptable interim solution, but ultimatively I'm going to be shopping around for a good hi-rez monitor, with a great color gamut, and most importantly good contrast.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

They are adding dots in post since a few patches ago. Can see them trough fog for example, they are rendered on top. So at distance X, a dot of given size is rendered on top. This post processed dot disappears again, when given target is within around 1½-2km, give and take.

I think this works quite nicely, and Id prefer they kept the post dot on until range 0, and maybe make it flicker (bright/dark) a little, as if light is bouncing off the target, like glare.

Spotting planes at a distance is fairly easy now. But spotting them within that 1½-2km range is very very hard, I find.

The more MSAA/PD (Pixel Density for VR) is added to this, the harder it becomes to spot, cause it blends with the surroundings. Well not sure about the post dot, since its post, but in VR, MSAA and PD has a huge effect on it. Less is better for spotting there.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

My MSAA is set to off. Haven't used it in VR yet.

I was talking about both online and SP, btw. Been on several servers and not had a problem - same with my own home server on a 2nd PC (default settings on that).

A lot of people have differing views on this, as many other things in the sim - best to find what works best for you and stick with that.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

They are adding dots in post since a few patches ago. Can see them trough fog for example, they are rendered on top. So at distance X, a dot of given size is rendered on top. This post processed dot disappears again, when given target is within around 1½-2km, give and take.

I think this works quite nicely, and Id prefer they kept the post dot on until range 0, and maybe make it flicker (bright/dark) a little, as if light is bouncing off the target, like glare.

Spotting planes at a distance is fairly easy now. But spotting them within that 1½-2km range is very very hard, I find.

The more MSAA/PD (Pixel Density for VR) is added to this, the harder it becomes to spot, cause it blends with the surroundings. Well not sure about the post dot, since its post, but in VR, MSAA and PD has a huge effect on it. Less is better for spotting there.

So i was not imagining it. :lol:

I Noticed that pixel in recent days and i love it.

• 11 months later...

For me, the biggest thing was my display. I was running on a 17" display at 1280x1024. Couldn't see aircraft unless they were within 5nmi.

Switched up to a 32" TV running at 1768x992. I can now regularly spot aircraft in good conditions against the horizon at over 40 miles. Can also follow Mavericks visually all the way to impact, and can actually see incoming SAM and A/A missiles from a good ways before they impact.

Only setting that changed when I switched display was resolution. These are my current settings.

MV6CWQq.png

• 2 weeks later...
^^ Pixel is not gone in 2.5... turn off FXAA, lower Alpha value and you will see it.

What do you mean by "Lower Alpha value"?

[sIGPIC]http://www.settimostormo.it/images/Firme/racetrack.png[/sIGPIC]

"Volare è utile, atterrare è necessario"

"Se non guardi a ore 6 almeno ogni 5 secondi non parlarmi di combattimento aereo, piuttosto fai il comico"

What do you mean by "Lower Alpha value"?

Sorry, I meant Gamma value. It's posisble to see the dot in the default value, but I found that lowering it (I had it on 1.8 ) makes the dot more visible against the sky.

Edited by PeaceSells

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

Black Shark 2, FC3, UH-1H, M-2000C, A-10C, MiG-21, Gazelle, Nevada map

Sorry, I meant Gamma value. It's posisble to see the dot in the default value, but I found that lowering it (I had it on 1.8) makes the dot more visible against the sky.

Ah okay, yep this is problably true when watching for Dots in the SKY but not on the ground :-/

"Se non guardi a ore 6 almeno ogni 5 secondi non parlarmi di combattimento aereo, piuttosto fai il comico"

^^ You mean ground units? Yeah, I didn't test that, but in DCS 2.5 I feel it's much easier to spot ground units than planes in the sky anyway...

EDIT: The famous black dots are for planes, I haven't seen black dots for ground units...

Edited by PeaceSells

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

Black Shark 2, FC3, UH-1H, M-2000C, A-10C, MiG-21, Gazelle, Nevada map

Just wondering if any of you have any tweaks to help improve spotting. I play on 2560x1080, everything on highest graphics settings, yet I have tremendous trouble spotting aircraft even a few miles away. The only time I ever see them is if they are high up and creating trails. I have to rely on constant bogey dopes from AWACS to get me anywhere near anybody else.

Is there anything you guys do to make spotting easier, or is it just a matter of my eyes sucking? :geek:

I never see anything in MP ever flying in bad weather conditions. Everything is clear sky.

At least, some servers do have 24 hour servers up with night ops, but few, VERY, VERY FEW attend!

Even with NVG, cannot see very far...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

Do we have any news in the Spotting sistem?

I continue seeing nothing online, most server have disabled the Label sistem also. Unplayable..

I Really don't understand why ED keep on adding new things (water effects) while they have request to fix the Spotting sistem...

Spotting is the MAIN thing, there are guys that Just CANT play online because of that and still nothing..

Bah.

• 2 weeks later...

I continue seeing nothing online, most server have disabled the Label sistem also. Unplayable..

I Really don't understand why ED keep on adding new things (water effects) while they have request to fix the Spotting sistem...

Spotting is the MAIN thing, there are guys that Just CANT play online because of that and still nothing..

Bah.

i could not agree more. with a good spotting system and some good multiplayer options this game will rocket.

• 3 weeks later...

Bah.

+1

:thumbup:

• 1 month later...

First post here is from February 2017, no news today?

It is passed 1 and a half year.

We are talking of a key factor for a sim, not on how the grass should be lightned.

I can see no news, can anybody link on other topics that maybe have recent stuff?

• Like 1