Chuck's AJS-37 Viggen Guide

Charly_Owl

Thanks Chuck, your guides have really helped me in getting a fast grip on Sabre, M2000 and now Viggen! Fabulous work!

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

Hey guys, for starters thanks Chuck...your guides are always a first stop for me with a new module. I'm trying to setup my FR22 and FR24 Pish to Talk as per chucks guide on my warthog throttle but on the setup screen it will only allow entires under keyboard. None of the input controllers have a cell to assign them. Am I doing something wrong? Or is it a more specific one (i.e. Channel x) I need to enter? Actually none of them seem to allow entry

Thanks Jason

Win 10 Pro, Intel i9 9900k overclocked to 5.1 (water cooled), 64 gb Corsair Dominator platinum RAM (3444 MHz)

Titan RTX overclocked and water cooled

1.1 TB SSD 2 TB M.2 SSD

TM Warthog Stick and throttle

MFG Crosswinds

Reverb VR

Buttkicker LFE, SimShaker, Jetseat.

All DCS modules

Sorry for post. I see some things don't have bindings implemented yet

Win 10 Pro, Intel i9 9900k overclocked to 5.1 (water cooled), 64 gb Corsair Dominator platinum RAM (3444 MHz)

1.1 TB SSD 2 TB M.2 SSD

MFG Crosswinds

Reverb VR

All DCS modules

Hey guys, for starters thanks Chuck...your guides are always a first stop for me with a new module. I'm trying to setup my FR22 and FR24 Pish to Talk as per chucks guide on my warthog throttle but on the setup screen it will only allow entires under keyboard. None of the input controllers have a cell to assign them. Am I doing something wrong? Or is it a more specific one (i.e. Channel x) I need to enter? Actually none of them seem to allow entry

Thanks Jason

I've had this very same issue as well. It seems to be an issue on Leatherneck's side. I have no idea if this bug was reported yet. Hopefully someone already did.

This is why I purposefully left the radio tutorial as incomplete.

Page 34: There's two Pitch Trim texts. I think the left one should be Roll Trim, right?

Thank you.

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

I've had this very same issue as well. It seems to be an issue on Leatherneck's side. I have no idea if this bug was reported yet. Hopefully someone already did.

This is why I purposefully left the radio tutorial as incomplete.

You can use the usual comms menu, until it's properly implemented. It seems that the radios are still WIP :)

thanks guys...I should have rear chucks whole guide first before setting up my HOTAS

1.1 TB SSD 2 TB M.2 SSD

MFG Crosswinds

Reverb VR

All DCS modules

• 2 weeks later...

Got a mistake:

In your guide, the CM P1 program, it says in the manual, it only releases Chaff or it doesn't say anything about flares...

your guide says, it also releases flares, which it does not, i even tested it

I tested it with all settings of the switch, Off, Cont and the third one, only one of them was releasing chaff rapidly, but without pressing the fast cm release button. the other two were just the normal default program...

confusing...

Edited by razo+r

Found a minor error regarding the external lighting panel.

Ledljus has nothing to do with the landing/taxi lights. It is a kind of guiding lights (not sure if that is the correct english term) at the back end of the wings. The exact purpose is unknown to me, but my guess would be to help anyone behind you when taxiing in darkness.

Made a post about this a long time ago in the giant Viggen thread:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2619884&highlight=ledljus#post2619884

Found a minor error regarding the external lighting panel.

Ledljus has nothing to do with the landing/taxi lights. It is a kind of guiding lights (not sure if that is the correct english term) at the back end of the wings. The exact purpose is unknown to me, but my guess would be to help anyone behind you when taxiing in darkness.

Made a post about this a long time ago in the giant Viggen thread:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2619884&highlight=ledljus#post2619884

The names are wildly misleading. The formation lights are not actually for flying formation, they're for "showing the flag" by lighting up the tailfin and showing the orientation of the aircraft. The "guide lights" for lack of a better term are what you actually use for radio silent formation flying in blackout conditions; they are low (adjustable) intensity, can only be seen from a regular trailing wingtip position, and the light hidden under the airbrakes informs the trailing aircraft that the lead is adjusting his speed without the need for the radio.

They were inherited from the Lansen, where blackout formation flying seems to have been extremely ****ing scary. The A 32A had no HUD, not every aircraft had a radar, and when flying formation usually only two out of four aircraft had a navigation officer in the back seat (where the radar display was). The artificial horizon instrument was also fairly primitive. With all this in mind, when you were number four in the flight, you went off all alone into an inky blackness where you didn't know up from down and left from right, trying to form up on and follow a tiny little light that you simply didn't dare lose sight of for even a fraction of a second. If it was a starry night, it might not be all that black but then the formation light could be confused with a star.

The names are wildly misleading. The formation lights are not actually for flying formation, they're for "showing the flag" by lighting up the tailfin and showing the orientation of the aircraft. The "guide lights" for lack of a better term are what you actually use for radio silent formation flying in blackout conditions; they are low (adjustable) intensity, can only be seen from a regular trailing wingtip position, and the light hidden under the airbrakes informs the trailing aircraft that the lead is adjusting his speed without the need for the radio.

They were inherited from the Lansen, where blackout formation flying seems to have been extremely ****ing scary. The A 32A had no HUD, not every aircraft had a radar, and when flying formation usually only two out of four aircraft had a navigation officer in the back seat (where the radar display was). The artificial horizon instrument was also fairly primitive. With all this in mind, when you were number four in the flight, you went off all alone into an inky blackness where you didn't know up from down and left from right, trying to form up on and follow a tiny little light that you simply didn't dare lose sight of for even a fraction of a second. If it was a starry night, it might not be all that black but then the formation light could be confused with a star.

Great post, thanks for this. As most people probably know by now, Flygvapnet did not mess around when exercising attack missions, neither with Viggen nor with Lansen. They'd often fly exercises in pitch darkness (heard once per week at some point during the '80s or '90s), and some of those times they'd be in complete radio silence for the entire flight, so that really great idea about a light hidden by the speed brakes definitely wasn't for show.

Here's a fantastic video showing some low-level Lansen flying. Watch the whole thing, not just at my timestamp. Crazy.

Win10 x64 | SSDs | i5 2500K @ 4.4 GHz | 16 GB RAM | GTX 970 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pedals | TIR5

My uncle flew Lansen back in the days, and I really need to sit down and listen to his stories some day. As you say, it was probably really scary now and then.

Thanks for clarifying this topic about the ledljus :)

Edited by BravoYankee4

• 1 month later...

What am I not understanding about the RB75 employment and Chucks guide?

Someone on the 104th got me squared away, but page 75-77 list hitting T0 then slewing the seeker head to the target.. Problem here is that T0 doesnt allow you to do this (T1 does!)

The manual on page 317 gets it right, but I was curious if I wasnt understanding something about Chucks guide or if this was an oversight? Also, XXJohnXX video on the RB75 employment also calls out to hit T0, so I am pretty sure I am missing something, but help me understand what!

TJ

Someone on the 104th got me squared away, but page 75-77 list hitting T0 then slewing the seeker head to the target.. Problem here is that T0 doesnt allow you to do this (T1 does!)

The manual on page 317 gets it right, but I was curious if I wasnt understanding something about Chucks guide or if this was an oversight? Also, XXJohnXX video on the RB75 employment also calls out to hit T0, so I am pretty sure I am missing something, but help me understand what!

TJ

I may have written this section while looking at John's video at the time. I honestly can't remember if the logic and documentation has changed since the early dev build I had or if I simply made a mistake. I'll have to check.

I'm planning a big update to the guide near the end of may after university exams, so I'll double-check every procedure to ensure they're up to date.

Edited by Charly_Owl

TJ

T0, is the mode that is selected when the trigger is not pulled.

T1, is the first detent, and in this allows slewing of the RB75.

TV, is the second detent and tries to lock the RB75 on whatever is in the scope.

Viggen is love. Viggen is life.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7-10700K @ 5GHz | RTX 2070 OC | 32GB 3200MHz RAM |

Essential reading!! Thanks Chuck.

In the "Controls Setup - What you need mapped" diagram (p6) it looks as though there are a couple of functions cropped on the right hand side. There are arrows but no annotation.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus ROG Rampage Extreme VI; i9 7900X (all 10 cores at 4.5GHz); 32 Gb Corsair Dominator DDR4; EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid; 1Tb Samsung 960 Evo M2; 2Tb Samsung 850 Pro secondary.

Oculus Rift; TM Warthog; Saitek Combat Pros.

• 2 weeks later...

TJ

All right, sorry about the super long delay.

I double-checked and yes, you're completely right. I'll have the changes updated by the end of the day. Sorry for the inconvenience.

All right, sorry about the super long delay.

I double-checked and yes, you're completely right. I'll have the changes updated by the end of the day. Sorry for the inconvenience.

No worries about the delay! Love your work and wanted to say thanks for what you bring to the DCS community!

TJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...