INS Questions?

KewlerMouh

To our subject matter experts here:

I am trying for some time now to find something about the INS panel on our Tomcat versions!

I think its located on the RIOs left side panel, BUT

-does anybody know where to find photos/shematics?

-is it possible to entry lat/lon coordinates during flight?

-concerning the drift are there any precautions to correct these?

visual fixes ?

did the tomcats ground doppler radar update the INS?

Further more, Bio Baranek talked in his X-tended interview about having backup possibilities, if INS failed...

Eg in an CAP over the middle of the vast ocean, what can we imagine to do?

manual time/speed/course plotting? did he have a sextant and took a fix from the position of stars? a pair of dices?

Edited by KewlerMouh

As far as I can tell the answer to most of your questions is Yes

You can find out lots of interesting information about the INS system here - http://mil-spec.tpub.com/MIL-N/MIL-N-81604C/

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

Further more, Bio Baranek talked in his X-tended interview about having backup possibilities, if INS failed...

Eg in an CAP over the middle of the vast ocean, what can we imagine to do?

manual time/speed/course plotting? did he have a sextant and took a fix from the position of stars? a pair of dices?

Looks like you found most of what you were looking for between Maverick and LunaticFringe, but to answer your question about failures there were other options depending on the nature of the failure.

If the problem was the IMU, the nav computer could operate in a degraded mode based on the nature of the failure. If the IMU was giving unreliable data, other sources such as airspeed and altitude from the air-data computer could be substituted to offer continued, but less accurate nav. If the IMU is totally out (meaning no INS functions at all), the Nav computer can still give some dead-reckoning based on magnetic compass heading, estimated wind speed, and info from the air-data computer. The image below gives a nice overview of those functions:

Tomcat_INS.jpg

Also, it wasn't too common for F-14s to operate solo and completely out of range of the CV or other units (Hawkeye, other surface vessels). In most cases of INS failure, the default was to navigate with the assistance of the wingman or other accompanying aircraft, obtain vector data from the ship or Hawkeye, or use TACAN (either TACAN from other aircraft or ground based). Also, at least from my readings, losing the INS would often be criteria for downing the aircraft from a mission and launching a spare if the mission involved possible combat and need to limit emissions.

-Nick

• Like 1