No Beacon Nav used in Viggen?

Weegie

I realize the Viggen was designed to have the capability to operate from roads etc: and in an hostile environment, where you may not have any beacons.

I just found it a trifle strange that the aircraft doesn't, unless I'm missing something, appear to be able to utilize any form of beacon nav, with the exception of TILS.

No biggie I'm loving the Viggen but I just wondered about it.

I freely admit I'm only starting to get my head around the Nav and have not read the manual in detail.

The reason for asking here is not laziness but that there are some guys who have intimate knowledge of the type and even more who are more informed about aviation in general than me (although that would be nothing to boast about)

I'll probably get dog's abuse for asking this but it struck me as odd.

Thanks RaXha

That put's that to bed then. I spent a while cruising up and down the manual trying to find where the beacon nav was. I just could not believe it did not have any.

You Swede's certainly do things differently and that is in many ways a good thing.

Long before flight simming the Draken, Viggen and laterly the Grippen were my fave aircraft

Thanks RaXha

That put's that to bed then. I spent a while cruising up and down the manual trying to find where the beacon nav was. I just could not believe it did not have any.

You Swede's certainly do things differently and that is in many ways a good thing.

Long before flight simming the Draken, Viggen and laterly the Grippen were my fave aircraft

Well, the earlier aircrafts (Tunnan and draken for example) i think were pretty heavily controlled by ground controllers, the Viggen of course was too in some sense but it was designed, i believe, to be more autonomous but they always flew along a pre planned route using the radar assisted inertial navigation system, so there was really no need for beacon navigation. Most likely a system like that would not work in wartime anyways, being sabotaged by pre invasion special forces and what not, so why implement it in an aircraft design to operate during full scale war. :P

The Gripen of course is a different beast with GPS and all the other modern bells and whistles. :P

Edited by RaXha

The difference in the mentality in some ways is more alien than East-West designs and this is the beauty of the module in that it surprises by teaching you something you can't really relate to a conventional aircraft you are familiar with.

I'm finding the ADR with TERNAV to completely reliable though, all you need is a map with coordinates and entering waypoints is MUCH easier than the French Mirage coupled with the no alignment required, just plan a fix point well and you are golden.

What is interesting is that this system, modelled to all intents and purposes as identical in result to the real thing, is now being used over different terrain than Sweden, in different combat uses online, for circumstances that the Swedes didn't plan for in the design. And that's a really cool thing where the community can get imaginative and you can see an organic change in combat use occur.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Most likely a system like that would not work in wartime anyways, being sabotaged by pre invasion special forces and what not, so why implement it in an aircraft design to operate during full scale war. :P

The Gripen of course is a different beast with GPS and all the other modern bells and whistles. :P

I figured that the reason for its omission would be that beacons would be taken down and the design philosophy would be to have the Viggen as an autonomous strike delivery vehicle.

It was coming from the MiG-21, F-5 etc: which feature beacon nav embedded that I found it a little odd. I was surprised it was not an implemented option into the nav arsenal. Not least to have the possibility to obtain a fix and correct drift in the inertial nav.

The Viggen is just so different in so many ways. It would appear that SAAB started with a design specification and a clean sheet of paper. Went back to basics and ignored all historical precedents.

The cockpit just oozes Scandi style with its clean functional ergonomics and design. I'm loving it!!!!

You'll find the nav-beacons that is used by other modules are available as pre-programmed navigational points in the CK37 so you are able to coordinate with those other aircrafts. Look in the kneeboard under reference points.

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

You'll find the nav-beacons that is used by other modules are available as pre-programmed navigational points in the CK37 so you are able to coordinate with those other aircrafts. Look in the kneeboard under reference points.

This kinda thing is why you're the best.

IRL, there was a large number of reference points stored in the CK; tips of islands, lighthouses, that kinda thing, spread out over Sweden.

Win10 x64 | SSDs | i5 2500K @ 4.4 GHz | 16 GB RAM | GTX 970 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pedals | TIR5

Yep, the manual has a couple of pages that are just long lists of four-digit numbers that map to certain geographical reference points (lighthouses and geographical features were common as Corrigan says, especially along the coasts, but other landmarks such as bridges, road intersections and towns were also used). When I posted it in the Viggen FB group it immediately turned out that a number of old pilots still knew a lot of them by heart, 15 or 20 years later...