Manual flap extension/retraction

jowl

Any plans to implement manual flap operation? For some reason I'd understand if not :)

Might be hard to see, but the flap actually got it's own leaver interconnected to the landing gear. However by pressing a lock button you can operate the flap leaver individually.

• Like 1

Any plans to implement manual flap operation? For some reason I'd understand if not :)

Might be hard to see, but the flap actually got it's own leaver interconnected to the landing gear. However by pressing a lock button you can operate the flap leaver individually.

Hmm, honestly I think that is for technical maintenance purposes only.

It looks like that mechanism will normally be hidden under a panel, not like something that is set up for the pilot to use.

It would make sense that the mechanics on the ground could lower and retract the flaps without the gear collapsing. ;) :)

But thanks for the video, very interesting to see. :)

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

Hmm, honestly I think that is for technical maintenance purposes only.

It looks like that mechanism will normally be hidden under a panel, not like something that is set up for the pilot to use.

It would make sense that the mechanics on the ground could lower and retract the flaps without the gear collapsing. ;) :)

But thanks for the video, very interesting to see. :)

It's actually not hidden under a panel, quite easy to maniuplate. Haven't checked SFI but IIRC the first pre series Viggen had manual flap operation.

A friend that flew the JA says the levers could be split in flight by using some force. It was absolutely not standard procedure but he also indicated that it could give a slight advantage in slow speed dogfights, which wasn't something the Viggen was built for.

• Like 1

It's actually not hidden under a panel, quite easy to maniuplate. Haven't checked SFI but IIRC the first pre series Viggen had manual flap operation.

A friend that flew the JA says the levers could be split in flight by using some force. It was absolutely not standard procedure but he also indicated that it could give a slight advantage in slow speed dogfights, which wasn't something the Viggen was built for.

Nice, I didn't know that. :)

Just seemed to be too low for practical use.

Always love the knowledge spread here. :) :thumbup:

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

I don't think it was very practical...

More of "a guy did it once". But it was evidently possible.

Agree, never herd about it being used.

But hey, it's a cool "what if" feature! Got to keep the devs on the AJS so they start doing a SF version :)

I don't think it was very practical...

More of "a guy did it once". But it was evidently possible.

I know that the JA pilots were very much aware of the possibility, and according to a couple of "my" pilots in the early nineties, it was even tested during practice over the baltic sea...

Edited by Pocket

I know that the JA pilots were very much aware of the possibility, and according to a couple of "my" pilots in the early nineties, it was even tested during practice over the baltic sea...

Yes, it's evidently possible to set just flap. But I doubt anybody but the JA drivers ever tried it, and they didn't want to be that low on speed and energy in a fight for flaps to be practical.