trying to understand all the USB connection options

My current computer has USB ports 1.1 and 2.0 very simple...total compatibility forward and backward.

My new system will have:

(6x) Hi-Speed USB2.0 | (1x) Display Port | (1x) SuperSpeed 10Gbps USB 3.1 Type-C | (1x) SuperSpeed 10Gbps USB 3.1 Type-A | (3x) SuperSpeed USB 3.0

Does someone have info on these connections they can share as I'm a bit confused. Actually I'm also concerned I might put the wrong plug in somewhere and cause damage.

Thank you.

You won't break anything by plugging something into a USB port. The 'type' identifies what the connector looks like. The wrong cable just won't fit. You will also be able to tell the USB 3.1 type A from the USB 2.0 connectors, even though they are identical in form, because the inside 'key' (bit of plastic that orients the cable) of the connector is blue for USB 3.x and black for the USB 2.0.

This wiki page might help a bit. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

EDIT: Btw, Display Port is just a different kind of video connection, like DVI or HDMI (and just like the USB connectors, you can't plug an HDMI cable into a Display Port socket). It just means you need a different cable, or an HDMI to Display Port adapter. At one time Display Port (DP) connectors were only found on Apple devices, but now they are common on many video cards.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

You won't break anything by plugging something into a USB port. The 'type' identifies what the connector looks like. The wrong cable just won't fit. You will also be able to tell the USB 3.1 type A from the USB 2.0 connectors, even though they are identical in form, because the inside 'key' (bit of plastic that orients the cable) of the connector is blue for USB 3.x and black for the USB 2.0.

This wiki page might help a bit. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

EDIT: Btw, Display Port is just a different kind of video connection, like DVI or HDMI (and just like the USB connectors, you can't plug an HDMI cable into a Display Port socket). It just means you need a different cable, or an HDMI to Display Port adapter. At one time Display Port (DP) connectors were only found on Apple devices, but now they are common on many video cards.

Thanks cichlidfan for the info and link. So basically connecting different USB version cables won't cause any issues but will lower the transfer rate if I put a 3.0 into 2.0, etc.?

... or an HDMI to Display Port adapter. At one time Display Port (DP) connectors were only found on Apple devices, but now they are common on many video cards.
Dispay port - VGA adapters are also available.

=WRAG=345

R7 5800X @ 4,8 GHz; DDR4 32Gb RAM (+32Gb swap); Radeon RX 6800 16Gb; 3840x2160; Win10-64

Thanks cichlidfan for the info and link. So basically connecting different USB version cables won't cause any issues but will lower the transfer rate if I put a 3.0 into 2.0, etc.?

Correct, the port defines the transfer rate. If you plug a USB 3.x flash drive into a USB 2.0 port, Windows will actually remind you that you can get better performance if you plug it into a 3.x port, but it will function just fine.

You may, on a rare occasion, find a USB 2.0 device that just doesn't like being hooked to a USB 3.x port, but most things work fine.

@milit Yes, they exist, but I hope that most here are no longer using monitors that have a VGA connection as the only option.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Correct, the port defines the transfer rate. If you plug a USB 3.x flash drive into a USB 2.0 port, Windows will actually remind you that you can get better performance if you plug it into a 3.x port, but it will function just fine.

You may, on a rare occasion, find a USB 2.0 device that just doesn't like being hooked to a USB 3.x port, but most things work fine.

@milit Yes, they exist, but I hope that most here are no longer using monitors that have a VGA connection as the only option.

The port defines the transfer rate, but a 2.0 cable going into a 3.0 port won't produce a transfer rate of the 3.0 port...would it be the transfer rate of the 2.0 cable or possibly something in the middle?

Also, common sense would dictate that older devices shouldn't waste the high speed data rate of a 3.0 port if there is a 2.0 available.

Thanks cichlidfan for the follow-up.

Edited by fitness88

I misspoke. A more accurate statement is that the lowest performance item in the chain, from the mobo to the device, defines the transfer rate.

Of course, this only matters when you are pumping data (i.e. using a flash drive or some other type of external storage device, or a USB Wifi dongle). I have yet to see a USB 3.x game controller or mouse, though I do have one or two keyboards that are USB 3.x devices.

As for the common sense part, yes, if you have a 2.0 port available then using it would make the most sense. The PC I am using, this second, is located about 15 feet away from the desk I am sitting at. I have run cables for a USB 2.0 hub, as well as a 3.0 hub, to the desk for just that reason.

Edited by cichlidfan
  • Like 1

I misspoke. A more accurate statement is that the lowest performance item in the chain, from the mobo to the device, defines the transfer rate.

Of course, this only matters when you are pumping data (i.e. using a flash drive or some other type of external storage device, or a USB Wifi dongle). I have yet to see a USB 3.x game controller or mouse, though I do have one or two keyboards that are USB 3.x devices.

As for the common sense part, yes, if you have a 2.0 port available then using it would make the most sense. The PC I am using, this second, is located about 15 feet away from the desk I am sitting at. I have run cables for a USB 2.0 hub, as well as a 3.0 hub, to the desk for just that reason.

Got it and thanks.

• Like 1