Bug with TILS ?

flo57100

Hi all,

Here is something I noticed with the TILS:

I configure my system to follow the TILS signal for my destination base, everything is set correctly, I follow the indications of my flight director, but it brings me on final approach 100-200 meters parralel on the right of the runway centerline. At first I thought it would be caused by navigation system drift, but I read the drift is auto corrected by the TILS itself. Is it a bug ? Something I'm missing ?

To elaborate a bit:

Normal ILS: you have the localizer in the end of the runway, and the glide path approximately 300m from the runway threshold, offset ~100 from the runway centerline.

TILS: everything is located at a single site, roughly equivalent to where a normal GP would be placed. I've never seen one in person, but I assume it's all mounted on a Scania truck or equivalent for rapid deployment.

Side note: there are also some regular ILS sites with offset localizers. Sumburgh on Shetland is a good example, where the localizer for RWY09 is located next to the GP antenna for RWY27. It's the only place I've seen a LOC and GP (and maybe a DME if memory serves me right) in the same equipment shelter. And you also have IGS systems like the infamous checkerboard approach to Kai Tak, or the really strange one in Innsbruck.

You can watch that at the end of this video, where the final starts at about 46:00. The approach looks very odd if you're used to normal straight-in approaches (as most of us sim pilots are; on my first two TILS landings, I thought I was doing it wrong).

Black Shark, Harrier, and Hornet pilot

Many Words - Serial Fiction | Ka-50 Employment Guide | Ka-50 Avionics Cheat Sheet | Multiplayer Shooting Range Mission

I also thought that it was an error with the TILS when I tried it from the beginning.

But there is 2 quite good pictures in the LNS viggen manual that describe what will happen.

As the other said the transmitter is offset from the runway on the left side.

It´s pointed so it cuts the runway centerline at 900m out. So the actual guide beam TILS is using is almost always to the right of the runway. At 10-20km out from the airfield you will be quite far off to the right side.

Also depending on how you do the aproach you can get a 45 deg steering command to get to the guide beam.

Page 143-144 has these pictures in the manual that comes with the game.

246148902_TILS1.thumb.jpg.c126730828c7b221a5b491630f03ddfe.jpg

1359244983_TILS2.thumb.jpg.2a14e4b2fb129c73ee427f73b1ea4e43.jpg

Win10Prox64, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro, Intel i7-9900K@5,1GHz, 32Gb DDR4 GSkill TridentZ@3900GHz, Gigabyte RTX 2080ti Xtreme 11Gb, Game on Samsung M2 960 Pro, TM WH HOTAS, TM TPR , HP Reverb Pro G1, TM MFD

Thanks for your answers, now I know there is nothing I'm doing wrong. But it seems odd is to me, may be there weather conditions that limit Aircraft opération especially if the plane is designed to land on roads. I don't know but I'm really curious about that unsual system