Airbrakes

zxrex

This seems correct to me.

They were known to not be very effective and were said to have almost no effect at low speeds.

I mean just look at how small the airbrakes are in relation to the aircraft size/mass.

The Viggen is easy enough to slow down as it is,

just use the inherent drag of the Delta and canards to slow her down.

And the Landing gear can be brought down safely at speeds below 600 and with the Air brake / Flaps out she will slow down quite quickly to landing speeds etc.

From what i can find the primary area of use for the Air Brake might have been during formation flying where it was often quicker to adjust the speed to maintain station on the lead aircraft using the air brake then constantly adjusting the throttle.

For slowing the aircraft down significantly the fastest way would be to just throttle down and maybe do some slight maneuvering to bleed the speed to below 600 kph and at that point lower the gear.

Edited by mattebubben
  • Like 2

The Viggen is easy enough to slow down as it is,

The airbrakes were notoriously ineffective.

Coming out of afterburner made you feel like you had stopped, according to a Viggen pilot I know. ;)

And, as mentioned, they weren't used on the JA...

So, I think they are close enough in the module.

Airbrakes

The holes are there because there were vibrations in the dorsal fin without them, the holes had a small reduction of the brakes, and the upper air brakes won't open very much, you can see that if you look in external view. That is because if the were opened more they caused pitch instability.

According to a book I've read.

• 1 year later...

About the airbrakes, manual says the following:

"When the landing gear is deployed, the airbrakes will automatically retract. In order to

extend the airbrakes, the switch has to be held in an open position."

That doesn't seem to be the case in the game - I can toggle the airbrakes on & off as I please whether I have landing gear down or not. Which is not correct, I presume?

A-10C Warthog | AJS-37 Viggen | F-5E Tiger II | Mig-15bis | MiG-19P Farmer

The manual is indeed contradicting with how it works ingame. I don't know which is correct though, but I assume it is the manual.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg