Problem with SPAK?

zerO_crash

There are two things I noticed with SPAK:

- Flying straight or turning, the plane will pushed off course heavily, as if rudder pedals were pushed, even though they are not. I usually fly with windy conditions, but tried even without and no turbulence too. Same problem. Again, it happens sometimes, fairly often. Must be a problem.

- This I am not sure of, but even with the newest patch, giving the plane even tiniest rudder input makes it want to roll and go instable very rapidly. Now I`m not inferring that this is incorrect behavior, but compared to the other planes we got in DCS, it`s rather heavy. Is it supposed to be that pronounced? Tried both above and below 350km/h.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have also noticed wierd behavior after the patch if you are in SPAK and fly straight and level. Even the smallest amaount of right rudder and back to center(confirmed with contol input window) the aircraft will bank heavy to the left. To stop that you need to input left rudder once and back to center.

If in the left bank and disconnect SPAK it will also stop and you can fly straight and level again.

Win10Prox64, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro, Intel i7-9900K@5,1GHz, 32Gb DDR4 GSkill TridentZ@3900GHz, Gigabyte RTX 2080ti Xtreme 11Gb, Game on Samsung M2 960 Pro, TM WH HOTAS, TM TPR , HP Reverb Pro G1, TM MFD

Never had such a problem before, nor do I currently have. I seriously doubt it`s anything on my side. I have rebound the rudder axis and done a recalibration, and to no avail.

Alright, fair enough, sounds like a bug then!

Win10 x64 | SSDs | i5 2500K @ 4.4 GHz | 16 GB RAM | GTX 970 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pedals | TIR5

Anybody have had trouble with the autopilot with uneven load? For example I had 2 mavs, kb, u22a - and everytime I trimmed the plane, engaged the autopilot (path & alt or just path) it started turning right completely disregarding the trim I just made. Tried couple of times and ended up flying manually the mission.

Anybody have had trouble with the autopilot with uneven load? For example I had 2 mavs, kb, u22a - and everytime I trimmed the plane, engaged the autopilot (path & alt or just path) it started turning right completely disregarding the trim I just made. Tried couple of times and ended up flying manually the mission.

Yes noticed that too. Done with 2x RB05 + 1 AKAN + 1 KB.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Also, just did more testing, and indeed the plane is living its own life. After a sortie now, upon extracting landing gear and lining up on final, I again noticed a series of small departures from my heading, this time I looked at the pedals, and noticed that with absolutely no input of mine, and pedals in the middle, the rudder pedals in the plane were moving when these departures happened. Having flown all day Mirage yesterday, now I am certain it must be something with the SPAK.

Could it be that the aircraft engages rudder automatically when rolling over a certain degree? Does it maybe account for wind and tries to adjust? RagnarDa, or anyone from LN care to elaborate?

Notice in the track, when I get back to base, and just before landing. I did not use any rudder at some 4-5 min before landing, but I`m sure you can see that from inputs. Notice how the aircraft does it`s magic with the rudder.

EDIT: Flew again a different mission, this time even worse. Rudder kept working while cruising around, and no input of mine was given.

server-20170205-110121.zip

Edited by zerO_crash

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I had no wind at the time that happened, and only flew that single mission once (with uneven load). But that's not all, even when even load / clean - autopilot doesn't stay on course I put, I always have to adjust the course tens of times a flight.

Reason I'm dragging AP to this, I think they are closely related anyway.

Edit: aaaand before anyone starts again, when I fly manually and trim the plane it flies straight and level with no problems even to the moon.

Edited by Hydrox

There is a course hold mode (ATT engaged when bank angle is less than 7 degrees IIRC) but there should be nothing like that with only SPAK. Could this mode be engaging via a bug?

Win10 x64 | SSDs | i5 2500K @ 4.4 GHz | 16 GB RAM | GTX 970 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pedals | TIR5

I put a very small dead zone on my pedals and haven't had it since. Have you tried mapping your rudder again?

Well, I have never had problems with curves, and with my MSFFB2 it`s pointless to add curves. I just hope they manage to fix this soon. But thanks for your suggestion :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There is a course hold mode (ATT engaged when bank angle is less than 7 degrees IIRC) but there should be nothing like that with only SPAK. Could this mode be engaging via a bug?

Funny enough, it could be the case, as I usually fly right at the waypoints.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

We're looking into it. :)

Keep on our case if you don't hear anything for a while.

Thanks much :thumbup:

I might have figured it right now, went ahead and took off. Went then into controls and unbound my rudder. It didn`t happen anymore. This would point at the default rudder needing a little bit of dead zone possibly? I cannot do much with FFB and curves. Would it be fair to say that dead zone need an increase considering other modules aren`t sensitive to wind blows on the pedals?

Edited by zerO_crash

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 years later...

In the track one can see even half rudder input be handled satisfactorily by the autopilot.

Rudder inputs above ~2/3 deflection will lead to a yaw induced roll.

I consider this issue as "input device related" (might be defective), and thus I request to close it @RagnarDa

Anyway, I think this thread might make its way to a FAQ section whenever such would be created for the Viggen as well (Tomcat has one), just to have new pilots take care of their input devices before flying.

2021-02-27_Viggen_Autopilot_with_Rudder_input_OK.trk

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1