Avionics and Systems Issues

AvroLanc

After one week with the Viggen, I'm still really impressed with what the team has achieved. However, there are a few issues that I haven't seen anybody mention yet. I'm sure the dev team are aware of most already, but I'll outline a few if I may.

1. Clock / stopwatch on main panel INOP - would be really useful for referencing against TOT and a general navigation aid.

2. Cabin pressure gauge doesn't seem to work - stuck on zero all the time. Does the oxygen get used up over time? I've not seen the Oxy gauge move.

3. Fixed sight doesn't seem to work. Using the TAKT input 211 should generate the fixed sight. For me it just clears to HUD completely.

4. The TAKT output pylon indicator doesn't work well. The rightmost number (pylon 1?) always shows 0, even with an AIM-9 loaded. After dropping weapons the numbers / status doesn't change.

5. In SPA mode I can get the RUTA recon square to work and the lines to show on the CI, but the waypoint numbers stay at B1, B2 etc. They should show R1, R2 etc I believe.

6. I can't get the boundary lines to show in BANA/GRANS. Inputting a course should show a flashing line on the CI. Rather like the flashing recon square. - This would be REALLY useful for flying the pre-planned track to waypoints. Hopefully this could be added.

7. TERNAV system ON/OFF - I can't seem to turn the TERNAV system off using TAKT input 581000. Doesn't seem to make a difference.

8. Using the illumination bombs is a little weird. The flashing red 'Last Bomb' light doesn't come on even after the bombs have dropped. After the toss this leaves you high and slow thinking the bombs are still to drop. Not good. The actual drop is always off target as well.

Otherwise, I'm really impressed. Haven't stopped experimenting all week. Reminds me so much of DI's Tornado from way back. What I wouldn't give for a leatherneck Tornado Gr.1.....

• 4 years later...
On 2/3/2017 at 9:50 PM, AvroLanc said:

After one week with the Viggen, I'm still really impressed with what the team has achieved. However, there are a few issues that I haven't seen anybody mention yet. I'm sure the dev team are aware of most already, but I'll outline a few if I may.

1. Clock / stopwatch on main panel INOP - would be really useful for referencing against TOT and a general navigation aid.

2. Cabin pressure gauge doesn't seem to work - stuck on zero all the time. Does the oxygen get used up over time? I've not seen the Oxy gauge move.

3. Fixed sight doesn't seem to work. Using the TAKT input 211 should generate the fixed sight. For me it just clears to HUD completely.

4. The TAKT output pylon indicator doesn't work well. The rightmost number (pylon 1?) always shows 0, even with an AIM-9 loaded. After dropping weapons the numbers / status doesn't change.

5. In SPA mode I can get the RUTA recon square to work and the lines to show on the CI, but the waypoint numbers stay at B1, B2 etc. They should show R1, R2 etc I believe.

6. I can't get the boundary lines to show in BANA/GRANS. Inputting a course should show a flashing line on the CI. Rather like the flashing recon square. - This would be REALLY useful for flying the pre-planned track to waypoints. Hopefully this could be added.

7. TERNAV system ON/OFF - I can't seem to turn the TERNAV system off using TAKT input 581000. Doesn't seem to make a difference.

8. Using the illumination bombs is a little weird. The flashing red 'Last Bomb' light doesn't come on even after the bombs have dropped. After the toss this leaves you high and slow thinking the bombs are still to drop. Not good. The actual drop is always off target as well.

Otherwise, I'm really impressed. Haven't stopped experimenting all week. Reminds me so much of DI's Tornado from way back. What I wouldn't give for a leatherneck Tornado Gr.1.....

ad 1.) seconds pointer starts and stops when pressing the push button -> OK

ad 2.) CABIN PRESSURE INDICATOR doesn't work -> NOT OK

ad 3.) after inputting 211 a simple ring is shown; if that is the correct indication to be shown, then everything is fine -> OK

ad 4.) TAKT OUT indications work -> OK

ad 5.) see below ...

ad 6.) Boundary lines work fine -> OK

ad 7.) TERNAV can be turned OFF -> OK

ad 8.) FÄLLD LAST indication works -> OK

ad 5.) The manual on RC2 page 254 says "2. Check the destination indicator (R1-R9)."

fact: R1-R9 is not shown in the destination indicator when pressing-and-holding any of the B-buttons, but at least the coordinates of that R-point are shown on the 6-digit display. -> HB needed to either check the manual, or the code. IMHO it makes no sense at all to show the R1-R9 indication on the destination indicator, since the pilot knows which B-switch he is currently pressing...

Edited by TOViper
  • Thanks 1

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

10 hours ago, AvroLanc said:

Although four years without a proper taxi/landing light and things like the cabin pressure gauge are still frustrating..... 

Just the other day on Hoggit Persian Gulf I tried to land at night at a base that refused to turn its lights on for me.  I had to do a low pass over the base at like 20 m altitude to get a visual on the runway, then go around and try to line up with where I remembered the runway.  The taxi light is completely useless until you put the nose on the ground.

• Like 1

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."