[FIXED] Viggen RAT ?

Elefant1301

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Here it comes:

New: RAT (Ram Air Turbine)

This little spinny boi can help keep you alive in a pinch! This has actually been active in our simulation since launch, but we've been lagging behind on implementing the visuals.

Cute, isn't it?

Click to enlarge

RAT1_Thumb.jpg

RAT2_Thumb.jpg
RAT3_Thumb.jpg

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 3 months later...

Is the RAT model visible now? I have tried to set a main generator failure and/or to deploy manually the backup generator but I don't see any external RAT.

I also find the user manual a bit confusing:

Extension of the RAT occurs automatically when the nose wheel is depressed, and is retracted automatically on landing gear retraction, but is not connected as a power source unless required.

On loss of power from the generator due to a failure, the RAT is automatically extended.

The RAT can be manually extended with the RESERVSTRÖM (Backup power) switch.

So it is only extended when the nose wheel is "depressed", so on the ground? Or do we have to extend the landing gear in the air, between 300 and 700 km/h? I'm afraid none of this is clear to me, even though I'm familiar with such devices, to me they're only useful in the air and deploy automatically on generator failure, or have a switch to manually extend them (like in most airliners), and it's generally not related to the landing gear whatsoever.

In any case, I don't see it when the landing gear is extended either. :confused: Could anyone clarify?

EDIT

Since then I saw a video showing the RAT was visible during ground operations, and a similar comment in the announcement thread. Still it's not visible (neither on ground or on generator failure) so I assume there was a regression or they finally decided not to release it in August.

Edited by Redglyph

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

It's one of the most expected features and they know it! Like the functional mi-8 cockpit fan

I saw that. Perhaps anything that turns and looks similar to a propeller stirs something deep in our subconscious? ;)

Anyway, I don't need to see it, but it was not clear at all in Heatblur's communication.

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

• 2 weeks later...

Viggen is the one of the most truly completed modules , I will happily wait for the visuals of the RAT few more weeks and hope I will never need it until :thumbup:

"These are not the bugs you are looking for..":pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My YouTube channel

SPECS

-AMD FX8370 8 Core Processor 4.2 ghz

-GIGABYTE 970A-UD3P

-GTX 1050 TI Windforce 4g

-16 GB RAM

-Saitek X 52

-FaceNOIRtrack - 3 point clip Red Led

Today's patch was a copy from 2.5.3 with small maintenance fixes. Bigger changes coming with the next pointpatch in 2.5.4

Isn't today's patch 2.5.4? :huh:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 11 months later...

Finally the model of the RAT is here, yipieehh :)

I have a question, after looking at 2 different situations:

Situation 1 (manual usage):

- Fly at 550 km/h

- Manually turn on RAT with RESERVSTRÖM switch; it extends like planned

- Nothing changes in the cockpit

- Turn off the GENERATOR

- HALL FUNK and CK amber caution lights come on

- ELFEL red warning light come on

- SPAK went away, manual trim necessary

Situation 2 (automatic usage):

- Fly at 550 km/h

- Turn off the GENERATOR

- RAT doesn't turn out automatically

- RHM FEL, HALL FUNK and CK amber caution lights came on

- ELFEL red warning light came on

- SPAK went away

- Manually turn on RAT

- no change at all

Does it really deliver power?

Side note: only forward emergency pitch trim is possible (which is another bug reported long time ago)

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

I was confused by the description of the function. It extends when there is weight on the front wheel? I thought it was for redundancy during landing if the engine died. Should it be weight OFF the front wheel?

Exactly. Should provide elec power in flight in case the engine or IDG dies.

Yes it's seems like a absent minded conscript flight engineer put the wires from the RAT into the battery instead of the main line. Fix is in our internal build. Thanks for the reports!

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

Yes it's seems like a absent minded conscript flight engineer put the wires from the RAT into the battery instead of the main line. Fix is in our internal build. Thanks for the reports!

LOL :megalol:

Damn electrics. I know why I hate this ATA chapter so much ...

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

When you turn on "reservström" while in the air is the RAT supposed to deploy?

MY SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel pentium 3 @ 800 MHz, 256 Mb RAM, Geforce 2 64Mb, Dell screen 1024x768 + Microsoft sidewhiner joystick + TrackIR 2 + TrackClitPro SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 98, Noice Attack & VIASAT PRO, SnackView

When you turn on "reservström" while in the air is the RAT supposed to deploy?

I guess so.

A few more questions come up:

.) Is there an overspeed protection (above 700 km/h ... is the device extended)?

.) What if the generator dies at 1000 km/h?

Edited by TOViper

my computer:

AFAIK there is no overspeed protection on the real aircraft. The manual simply says that there is a risk of damaging the generator, and that use of the generator at speeds above 700 kph should be limited to emergencies only. Why you would extend the RAT while airborne at all while not having an emergency is beyond me. :-)

But should you lose the generator and be at speeds above 700 kph and don´t want to deploy the RAT, I guess you just reduce throttle and let the air bring you down to under 700. Meanwhile you´ll have to live on battery power. However the battery only powers the DC circuit. It is enough to restart the engine, if that is the reason for the generator being offline.