E6600 - will overclock loads i hope

965P DS3

Sapphire x1900xt

580W hiper

1GB 675Mhz DDR2 - will buy another Gig when got some extra cash

1440x900 samsung monitor

250GB HDD - but will buy plenty more of that when have the money for it

Anyone run lomac on something similar?

just ordered it after weeks of choosing and reading up so SHOO if you're gonna complain to me about it :P

will let you know how things go when i get it up and running later this week

I just bought a system somewhat similar to the one you ordered. I have the exact same motherboard, but my processor was only E6400. My graphics card also is considerably less than your card (mine is an ATI x800 GTO). I have been running Lomac with everything on high except water, and I haven't been below the 30's FPS since I got my system. I have only flown training missions and quick start missions. I have yet to challenge it on a really active campaign mission. So far though, it blows my P4 2.4 out of the water! I got the x800 card because I kept hearing that the game is usually limited by CPU and not graphics card. If the game does bog down on me, I will upgrade my graphics card. I love my system so far!

Half the PC arrived today - the other part is being shipped still

All looking good so far - my only question is --- is CPU paste worth bothering with? seeing as i never bothered to get any and dont want to have to delay the entire PC for paste?

thanks

If you want to overclock, then DEFINATELY invest in some goop for your computer. Get some Arctic Silver 5, which is probably the very best cooling-goop you can get. It costs a bit more than normal, but since you're aiming to overclock, you really should dish out on it. You might also want, in the future, to keep a close eye on your CPU-temps. If they start to go over acceptable levels under full load, you'll want to get a custom CPU-cooler. Also remember than when you apply goop, don't use too much and not too little. I'll see if I can dig out a few links for proper application of goop (unless you already know this, of course) and on some overclocking-tips/tricks.

Regards

Fjordmonkey

Clustermunitions is just another way of saying that you don't like someone.

I used to like people, then people ruined that for me.

Links would be nice if you can spare the time - I bought an arctic cooler 7 but no paste.

Would it be ok to apply the paste later when i get some and leave the CPU stock in the mean time (i.e. no overclocking) ?

this is my first build so not sure how much it would mean to have to dismantle the entire motherboard just to put paste on the CPU - sounds quite a hassle though :P

thanks again

If there is a Thermal-pad underneath the new heatsink, then yes, you can wait with the goop. If there is not, I would NOT (can't stress that enough) assemble or turn the system on, as your thermal transfer from the CPU to the heatsink would be about as good as the flight-characteristics of your average hippo. Not very good, and you might end up with either damaging or outright frying your CPU. Bad thing to do with a new CPU, I would say.

Some heatsinks come with a small tube of goop, though. If it does, use that for now. But serious overclocking should NOT be done until you have some high-quality goop in place.

Regards

Fjordmonkey

Its no problem anymore - am just ordering the gloop now - total price just over £12 bit of a bummer not just adding that to the overall package earlier - just another mistake to learn from though

The CPU is in the shipment still to come so no idea if it has any thermal protection.

The motherboard manual said to apply paste to both the underside and the front.

Thanks for the quick advice

About applying paste on the underside of the CPU....well...I'm not sure. The paste is there to help with thermal conductivity, i.e. heat-transfer from the CPU's heatsink and the main heatsink/fan assembly of the CPU cooler. True, the underside of a CPU can get hot as well, but NOT as hot as the top. Another thing to think about is that many types of cooling-goop contains minute metal/silver particles. Which are electrically conductive. Which will then be situated directly onto the pins of the CPU, which MAY just cause a short, which agan can fry your CPU. I would be extremely careful with doing this. The fact that there is no real reason to have heat traveling from the underside of the CPU and down onto the CPU slot and/or motherboard since there is no cooling to those areas, also makes me curious as to why the MoBo-producer says that you should put goop on the socket/underside of the CPU as well.

There is a great debate about whether or not to have paste/goop on the underside of the CPU. True, it is needed if you are going for a Ultra-high-end Vapochill LS-system (Damn nice, but both noisy and hideously expensive) just since the LS won't allow the system to start before the CPU is pre-chilled to -10c, but that's about it.

To sum it up: There's no real reason to do it, but if you do, follow Fudd's advice: Be VERY careful.

• Like 1

Regards

Fjordmonkey

Now i actually know why you would need paste it seems sensible enough - my only theory was that it was there to stop dust and foreign objects touching the CPU heating up, burning and leaving scorch marks on it. guess no then.

My guess is i probably read it wrong in the excitment :P

I'll definitley do a lot more thorough reading tomorrow when the rest hopefully arrives.

thanks again guys

Guest IguanaKing

DO NOT apply the thermal compound to the underside of the CPU. Even the simplest heat-sink compounds are filled with electrically conductive silicates. If you put ANY of them on the pin side of the CPU...well...you now have an expensive paperweight. Line the arrows up on the CPU and the socket, gently set the CPU in the socket, then lock it down with the ZIF lever. After that, take a cotton swab, dipped in rubbing alcohol, and carefully mop the heat spreader surface on the top of the CPU. Take the thermal paste and apply a small spot to the heat speader surface of the CPU. This spot of paste should be centered on the heat spreader, and NO BIGGER than about half the size of a grain of rice. Set your HSF straight down on top of it, and evenly tighten the screws...a little bit of torque on each one at a time.

If this is your first rig build, the Intel processor is extremely forgiving of cooling f ups, but it'll die immediately if you apply that paste on the pin side. Good luck. :D

the goop is placed like butter on top of the processor in a thin layer. then mount the heat sink on top of it. Thats it.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

I don't want to steal the topic or open new & same one so:

I'm getting similar rig:

Dell 2407WFP

E6400 (will be OCed to 3200)

2GB of DDR2/ 800MHz

Asus P5B Deluxe

Seagate320GB/16MB SataII

and now my doubt:

Which graphics card should I buy; 7900GTO or save money with X1950PRO and wait for 8800GTX to drop. Will be these two cards sufficient enough to run LOMAC smoothly on my Dell, or not?

mt-2003-sun-corona.jpg

the goop is placed like butter on top of the processor in a thin layer. then mount the heat sink on top of it. Thats it.

Not neccesarily... I would follow Artic Silver's reccomendations to keep that chip frosty! The reccomendations do vary by chip type

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

Damn you, EscCtrl!! :D

You've inspired me to go out and buy me a new system as well. Close match to yours, except that I'm going for the EE6300 and an X1950PRO from Powercolor. My old P4 2.4ghz Socket 478 AGP-system with a massively overclocked Radeon 9550 256mb will be phazed out once and for all, as it's served me loyally for close to 5 years now.

Also looking at getting a Reserator 1 Plus from Zalman, just because I know that the EE's are overclockable to high heaven. Have a friend that's running an EE6300 at close to 3.5ghz stabile on the GA-965P-DS3, with watercooling. It'll have to wait until December, though....

/salute

Regards

Fjordmonkey

Hope your system runs well - for someone with knowledge on computers you have you deserve it!

Just overclocked my 6600 to 3.0GHz its not much but for me its a start.

Means I can run LOMAC with full clouds at the peak of the sunrise with full setttings and AA and AS at 20fps - probably couldnt do it if there was 'action' occuring as opposed to a solo flight.

might overclock other components too but for now just need to slowly decrease my core voltage :S

enjoy your system!

Recieved and built my new system yesterday evening. The Vidcard is simply HUGE! Have not tested Lock On yet, but will do that tonight. Tried Oblivion and Dark Messiah of Might & Magic, ran both at 1600x1200 with every option set to high, and HDR activated. Both ran smoothly.

It will be interesting in the extreme to see how Lock On runs on it :D

Regards

Fjordmonkey

Ran into a bit of a problem with the stock CPU-cooler, as it stopped during the night. Have ordered a Noctua NH-F12U as a stopgap until I get the Reserator 1 Plus, which should keep things happy for a while.

Still haven't dug my Lock On-disk out of the archives, so I'll have to get that done this weekend to test things.

Regards

Fjordmonkey