AJS 37 Viggen Nose wheel lock

EliteKatze

because you know that 'cause you've flown one in real life for sure

No, but because I served in the Swedish Airforce as a mechanic on the Viggen, and I know how to read ;)

:doh:

On the topic, which would be a better workaround, set a curve or decrease the sensitivity (saturation) of the rudder to make it closer reassemble the real thing?

Also during the flight I'm starting to suspect that the rudder wants to kill me :lol: Actually, should the rudder be used during the flight or the AP manages it?

Sorry for maybe a basic question, I've just finished to go through the manual for the first time. It's a really complex beast :)

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Just don't get too comfortable with any curves you set up. The devs are bound to be fettling it soon.

OT: Anyone else feel the need for a Nice shiny Saab Draken to do the shooty stuff? If we do get one, we will have to wear special soft shoes so we don't scuff the high speed finish ;)

I noticed that when I step on the rudder it stays where I put it and doesn't return to center when I center my pedals(CH). If, for example, I use left rudder on the ground I have to step on the right rudder to bring it back to center. I've started to go to F2 view and center the rudder after getting lined up for takeoff. I then just use differential braking for directional control during takeoff.

I noticed that when I step on the rudder it stays where I put it and doesn't return to center when I center my pedals(CH). If, for example, I use left rudder on the ground I have to step on the right rudder to bring it back to center. I've started to go to F2 view and center the rudder after getting lined up for takeoff. I then just use differential braking for directional control during takeoff.

That's known issue. :-)

Hi!

Before you enter the virtual cockpit of your brand new mud-mover there are a number of things we just want to let you know we unfortunately weren't able to fix in time for the initial release.

- There is currently an issue with twist stick rudder controls. Moving the rudder-control (twisting the stick) seems to be working in a relative way instead of a absolute so when you twist it one way you have to twist it the other way to cancel out your command. This issue does not affect all twist joysticks-- and we're trying very hard to find the underlying cause. This is a priority fix for us.

As a temporary workaround if your stick is affected, you can use keyboard commands for the rudder.

When taking off, go full burner and pull back a little. It will keep the damn nosewheel from messing things up for you. See how I did.

I've read that if you apply brakes while using the reverser you should pull aft stick to unload the nose wheel as the instability increase with high pressure on it.

But if there is too much pressure on the nose weel at take off, could that be the cg being much forward? I mean, if the aft stick decrease the instability.

i cant take off the plane without nose wheel lock, what should i do now?

You can try using the brakes (left and right if having pedals) The Viggen is a bit hard taking off in I noted myself :/

Will try setting up a softer curve on my pedals :thumbup:

Using the keyboards rudder buttons works pretty well too :D

For now I recommend a deadzone and curve for rudder.

That solved most of my problems with instability and that the rudder/nosewheel got stuck in the outermost position.

(It still can get stuck, but it happens further out.)

LN has announced that they solved the problem, so after next patch these measures should not be needed any more.

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

On the topic of the engine, the Mirage has a very unconventional thrust curve. The engine reaches nearly full mil thrust at a relatively low throttle setting.

The Viggen, like most other a/c, is the other way around. Between 20-60% throttle the engine is basically in flight idle, above that thrust picks up quickly.

Also the Viggen is horribly underpowered compare to modern aircraft in full MIL.

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

The Viggen Will outrun both the Mirage 2000 and Mig-29 on the deck as it is today (not tested with F-15 or Su-27 yet) been doing Drag races against both and after a few seconds of afterburner the Viggen starts to pull ahead (if both aircraft are clean or lightly loaded).

So its Certainly not slow =P.

The engine in the Viggen is of a different type from the engine in a Mirage 2000

so the performance levels at different RPMs are different.

The Engine in the Viggen is the Volvo RM8A

(Based on the Civilian JT8D engine but with modifications and a Afterburner section from Volvo added)

It gives out 65.6kN Static Thrust at Military power and 115.6kN Static Thrust with Maximum Afterburner.

In comparison the Snecma M53-P2 delivering 64.3kN Static thrust at military power and 95.1 Kn at full afterbuner.

So while the Viggen has a very slight thrust advantage in MP the Mirage due to significantly lighter weight will be faster in MP.

But in full after burner its a whole other game as you can see the Viggens After burner providers significantly more thrust giving it

better acceleration in full afterburner.

They are different engine types with different advantages (The Viggen engine is also significantly older).

But depending on loadout you should be able to cruise at speeds between 700-900 KPH+ using just MP.

But Mill power is only really used for cruising if you need speed just jump into one of the Afterburner modes and you are incredibly quick.

Unless you are light and have a long runway use Afterburner on takeoff

(Stage 2 is a good medium but if you want minimum take off distance use Stage 3)

stay in afterburner untill you are gears up and around 500kph+ then you can either go to MP or Stage 1 Afterburner (Stage 1 will let you keep accelerating at a faster rate rate while burning less fuel then Stage 2 or Stage 3).

But this aircraft Certainly is not slow once you punch in the afterburner =P.

As for the nose Wheel Steering.

Are you using a Twist rudder Joystick? since there is apparently a know problem with some Joysticks with Twist rudder atm.

If you are using Rudder Pedals then simply set up a little bit of a curve and there should be no problem taking off.

And on how to crate a Curve.

Go into Controls then Axis assign then you select the Yaw/Rudder Axis device and then Tune Axis.

And then you adjust the curvature and try it out to see how it is ingame and if you need to adjust it further.

Start buy making a curvature of 10 for example and you can adjust further if you need it.

Isn't Engine on MIl power bugged atm?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Youtube

Reddit

On the topic of the engine, the Mirage has a very unconventional thrust curve. The engine reaches nearly full mil thrust at a relatively low throttle setting.

The Viggen, like most other a/c, is the other way around. Between 20-60% throttle the engine is basically in flight idle, above that thrust picks up quickly.

Also the Viggen is horribly underpowered compare to modern aircraft in full MIL.

Though that Afterburner more then makes up for that!

(since while it had weaker Mil power even then some of its contemporary aircraft with a similar role the AJ 37 had a more powerfull afterburner then any of them)

Since while in MP its weak but in Afterburner it has a tonne of thrust.

(20kN more then the Engine in the Mirage 2000)

Which is quite decent for a 1960s Engine/Afterburner combo =P.

And even then there were some aircraft from the same time frame with similar roles that were significantly more underpowered then the AJ 37 was,the Sepecat Jaguar for example.

And in my opinion its better to have that extra power / performance when you really need it then to have a slightly higher Mil power cruise speed ^^.

And even then there were some aircraft from the same time frame with similar roles that were significantly more underpowered then the AJ 37 was,the Sepecat Jaguar for example.

^^.

That made me laugh and took me back to series shown here in the UK a looooong time ago

It was about RAF trainees undergoing training to get qualified as fast jet pilots.

One of the quips I remember when one of the guys got assigned to Jaguars was "Jaguars? You need reheat to taxi"

Isn't Engine on MIl power bugged atm?

At sea level, no. As you go higher the engine throttles back due to a bug in the fuel control code, which can be mitigated by turning on manual fuel control.

Though that Afterburner more then makes up for that!

I probably should have been a bit more specific about what I meant, I was referring solely to the performance in MIL power compared to, say, the Mirage or F-15.

Ask any of the guys I fly with and the'll tell you I can't stop bragging about the glory of Zone 3.

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.