**AJS-37 Viggen Released in Open Beta!**

Cobra847

My favorite thing about the Viggen is that it strikes a fantastic balance between capability and ease of use.

You can get a lot done, but you really have to stay on top of the aircraft. (For instance, the Rb 05 is very accurate but only if you practice with it a lot, Bk 90 is totally OP but only if you take care of the navigation system, etc)

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

Thanks, Cobra! This best aircraft in DCS!

CPU: i7-8700K @5200MHz / RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB @3500MHz CL15 / MB: ASUS PRIME Z370-A / GPU: ASUS STRIX RTX 2080 / DCS-Storage: Samsung 960Evo 500GB / Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog + T.Flight Rudder Pedals

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah, what movie is it from so I know to never bother watching it?

I think its Behind Enemy Lines from 2001.

Its soo stupid that Hollywood keeps doing stupid scenes like that...

When Top gun proved you can be more realistic when it comes to missiles and still have very intense combat scenes...

They could have that scene be just as intense (or more) by making it simply many Realistic missile launches (3-4 missiles forcing him evasive until one of the hit him etc) instead of that stupid chase scene...

Tactical missile :)

CPU: i7-8700K @5200MHz / RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB @3500MHz CL15 / MB: ASUS PRIME Z370-A / GPU: ASUS STRIX RTX 2080 / DCS-Storage: Samsung 960Evo 500GB / Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog + T.Flight Rudder Pedals

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I wondered how many would try to use this Self destruct feature as a impromptu Cruise missile xD.

It depends on what exactly the Self Destruct in the RB 15F is programmed to do.

If it would cause the Missile to Detonate mid air the yes this would be Do-Able and realistic.

If it would cause the missile to crash with a live warhead causing the warhead to Detonate yes this would be Doable.

If it would cause the Missile To crash after rendering the Warhead safe/inert then it would be less likely to work realistically.

Only question for me is the risk the radar would mis-identify something on land as a ship and hit it though with the modern nature of the Seeker of the RB 15 i assume that risk to be smaller.

If either of the first are true for the way the missile works then this is a fully valid / realistic use (though it might not be intended use / doctrine)

and will be interesting to see how people decide to use it.

My guess is it wont be too uncommon in MP to see ppl try to use it as an

Anti-Runway/Anti Airfield Cruise Missile by making it self destruct over an airfield as shown in this video.

Edited by mattebubben

Don't think that's how it's intended to work. Then again, I don't know the missile logic for not finding a group while Bx9 (self destruct point) is not defined.

Win10 x64 | SSDs | i5 2500K @ 4.4 GHz | 16 GB RAM | GTX 970 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pedals | TIR5

It depends on what exactly the Self Destruct in the RB 15F is programmed to do.

The self-destruct mechanism simply arms the warhead and pitches down with max possible control surface authority, so yes, the missile will slam into the ground/sea and trigger the impact fuze. SFI AJS 37 del 3, page 101 in the PDF.

Actually using it to attack ground targets is definitely not intended, though.

The thing is, it looks like there's an elevation in terrain right before they explode. Maybe it's just trying to sea skim and flies into the ground. The warhead arms 250 meters away from the target, and will detonate upon impact, so they would explode in that scenario.

Edited by Corrigan

Win10 x64 | SSDs | i5 2500K @ 4.4 GHz | 16 GB RAM | GTX 970 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pedals | TIR5

But if its possible to the same with Bx9 that would be correct.

This, and also adding the behaviour renhanxue pointed out - not impacting precisely on BX9 but pitching down after passing BX9 and then impacting randomly with the ground after that point

Regards

**AJS-37 Viggen Released in Open Beta!**

That one could actually be a feature - if the missile doesn't find anything it just crashes at the last pre-planned waypoint, it makes sense. Let see what's the opinion from the experts.

Regards

The Rb 15F MkI and MkII that the Viggen carries can't fly over land at all since the fusing AFAIK is not adapted for that and it doesn't have GPS to keep track of its position. Just like the Rb 04E it has a downwards facing proximity fuse that detonates when over flying the ship it locks onto. This means the missile (Probably) would detonate as soon as it started flying over terrain. That being said, the 4th waypoints of the Rb 15F is the self destruct waypoint, if no ship has been detected by its radar it will fly to this waypoint and self destruct. This MIGHT be what we see here. :-)

Edit: so I guess the fuse isn't armed until it detects a target or when reaching the self destruct point.

Edited by RaXha

Edit: so I guess the fuse isn't armed until it detects a target or when reaching the self destruct point.

Correct. It can most definitely fly over land, that's one of the big selling points. The SFI has several illustrations and example mission profiles that show this and it is explicitly stated that it will work.

Was planning to wait for the release into the stable branch, but I just couldnt wait anymore, so I installed 1.56 Beta, and downloaded the Viggen. And boy am I glad I did. You guys are absolutely insane. The level of detail in this bird is just mind bugling. I spent the last 1½ hour just flying around looking at the Viggen, inside and out, in different light. I was just quickly jumping in to map essential controls and buttons, but just couldnt get myself to escape out. I just had to fly around and look at this masterpiece, and flip switches with great anticipation to what might happen.

In all my years of computer gaming (and that is a little over 30 years now), I have never been this sucked into it. The amount of detail is jaw dropping, be it model, textures, light effects, material definitions, or sounds. I cant say much about the flight model, since that is not my strength. You could make it fly like a cardboard box in the wind and say thats how it flies, and Id believe you, hehe. But the art and sounds, well I have eyes and ears, and just wow.

Im tipping my hat for the Leatherneck's.

Thank you for this wonderful new toy :thumbup:

• Like 1

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Stupid Q, is this now released in the normal version not the Beta, just updated all 3 installs and was able to install viggen in stable 1.5.6

There is no stable 1.5.6, stable is still 1.5.5 and doesn't have the Viggen. :-)