[RESOLVED] Yaw instability or SPAK is not my friend...

Goblin

To me there is a bug with the rudder: any value different than zero seems to saturate 100%. It acts like Flaming Cliffs' Z and X rudder command.

Also, something strange but maybe true-to-the-airplane? Left and right brake axes make the exterior ailerons move (!).

i7-7700K@4.8GHz, 16Gb-3200, GTX-1080Ti-Strix-11Gb, Maximus IX Hero, Oculus Rift, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C, Logitech G940 Pedals.

Also, something strange but maybe true-to-the-airplane? Left and right brake axes make the exterior ailerons move (!).

Make sure you haven't mapped the brake axes to roll. This is often a problem in DCS because it automatically maps any controller you have connected.

Make sure you haven't mapped the brake axes to roll. This is often a problem in DCS because it automatically maps any controller you have connected.

I assure you I'm well aware, but I triple-checked following your comment. :thumbup:

I went back to the sim and I can reproduce the issue. I further determined that it only happens when the airplane is not moving at all: the outermost ailerons droop when either left or right brake is applied.

I stand by my observations about the rudder too. The nose wheel moves proportionally to the rudder pedal input, the rudder does not. :joystick:

i7-7700K@4.8GHz, 16Gb-3200, GTX-1080Ti-Strix-11Gb, Maximus IX Hero, Oculus Rift, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C, Logitech G940 Pedals.

Experiencing the same stability issue. Using CH rudder pedals. Issue starts from about halfway to take off speed until take off.

I have the same issue with my CH Pedals, when I move pedals to either left or right the rudder on the AJS 37 Viggen sticks in either left or right position does not return to centre position.

I stand by my observations about the rudder too. The nose wheel moves proportionally to the rudder pedal input, the rudder does not. :joystick:

Actually I think this is correct or could be correct behavior.

Before I go on, check in-game, you'll see rudder output is proportional to rudder input as long as SPAK is OFF.

But with SPAK ON, while standing still, the rudder will deflect to maximum with even the slightest input. And this I think could be correct.

SPAK is trying to make the A/C turn using the rudder, but is not succeeding, since there is no air moving over the control surface. So it progressively (quickly) adds more and more output to do its best. After a certain amount of time (quickly) it will be at maximum deflection.

Ragnar Da, I have a theory that partly can explain the behavior during take-off.

It goes something like this:

When you start rolling, the nose wheel steering is in fact "OK". It's once you get above a critical speed that the aircraft gets erratic and starts swaying. I think that happens at/after the cross-over point when the rudder control surface starts getting really effective (around 100 km/h it seems). Once you get to that speed, the rudder input will generate a rotational output in the from (NWS) as well as a twisting motion in the rear (rudder). This would really make the AC unstable.

Of course changing NWS sensitivity to radians etc will help, but the question is this: Shouldn't SPAK try to keep the AC aligned during runway operations using the rudder control surface? So in fact, once the rudder gets effective, if the pilot inputs a slight right rudder, thus turning NWS slightly right; shouldn't SPAK add a small amount of *left* output to keep the AC stable?

This should be theoretically possible, since SPAK in fact (stated in SFI and manual) tries to keep the AC aligned during reversed landings (failing at this time).

This bring me on to a question (I can report this as a bug if you want to): The manual and SFI state the AJ has a sort of ABS. So why do I get severe (up to) three wheel lock-ups all the time?

With SPAK on, it tries to achieve a certain yaw rate proportional to pedal input.

I don't know if this is realistic or not, but it makes the rudder ridiculously sensitive in flight because it takes a LOT of rudder deflection to create any steady yaw rate. Either the real thing uses lateral acceleration as opposed to yaw rate, or the desired yaw rate is much too high per inch of pedal movement.

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

Is it really? Good! I discovered another problem with the SPAK that I fixed in this update when on the ground and that is the yaw-damper needs to apply rudder into the the turn while in a bank (otherwise the damper would counteract the turn: the yaw movement would be interpreted as uncommonanded nose drift and neutralized). This should only be active when in the air and this was fixed now.

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

Yeah, I'd say the ground rolling yaw instability is fixed now... Will of course test it some more.

I have a regular 15% curve on the rudder axis. i normally set a curve of 10-20 on all axes.

Positive yaw control without overcorrecting or entering PIO.