Thermaltake-cant wait:)

If you guys have heard me complaining about my processor overheating and locking up over hyperlobby, well I think I am about to fix my own problem :-P. I just purchased a Thermaltake Heatsink+Fan for my system and I sure as hell hope it will lower my temps from Full load of 162 degrees to 140-150 or more :). If you guys have any other opinions on what I should get to keep my computer running cool, I am ears open:thumbup: . No I am not getting water cooling, mostly because it is pretty expensive and a pain in the butt to me. I just need better Front panel fans(currently got a fan blowing on the motherboard cause of poor airflow) lol. Yeah I kinda broke 1 out of the 2 fans and the second one is going bad way too fast.

Picture of my new product I just bought:

35-106-606-02.JPG

My advice will be to check the airflow in the case in general, and to put money into a GOOD thermal goop for your CPU-fan (Artic Silver has some very good thermal paste). Also get hold of something to clean the old goop off the CPU before putting on the new one. I use a degreaser that doesn't leave any residue, together with a non-linting cloth. You can also use regular tissues, but be certain that there's no lint left on the CPU since this can ruin thermal conductivity =) Just be very careful, as some degreasers might damage the mainboard and/or components. You should be able to use Isopropanol or a similar alchohol-based fluid together with Q-tips and tissue-paper to get the old goop off. Remember, use NO metal tools to scratch old goop off!! (can't stress that enough).

When thinking about airflow, your comp should have as little obstruction to it inside your case as possible. Which means place cables so that they don't interfere with the airflow. I use small plastic "bricks" with holes to loop plastic strips through and then tie off cables to ensure this (most new cases come with a few of them, and you should be able to pick up some more bricks at your local geek-store).

Much depends on what type of computer case you have. Some of them look cool, but are as well suited for good airflow and thermal management as a fully laden C130 is to dogfighting. Also always remember that you'll probably want to maximize cooling and minimise sound, so filling your case with ultra high-speed 4cm, 6cm or 8cm fans might cool it, but it'll sound like a chainsaw on methanol/alcohol fuel while it's running. If you can, fit 12cm fans, or 8cm that are silent but move a lot of air. Fan-regulators can also be used, although most newer mainboards has functions for automatic fan-speed regulation.

Also look at where your computer is currently standing. Does it have enough air moving around it? Is the intakes and vents obstructed? Which way is the airflow into and out of the case going etc. All are things that might help you lower your temp and thus ensure more system stability. My case pulls air in at the lower front and blows it out the back, both through 12cm fans. Got a 12cm fan in the powersupply as well, which helps a bit too. I would also not have the computer placed directly on a carpet, as that has a nasty tendency to result in a dustbunny-invasion/party inside your case.

Here's a few cases that I know have good airflow inside of them, and enough space to satisfy most people:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811119110 <-- have this one myself, and can highly recommend it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129017 <-- a bit expensive, but very good in terms of airflow and cooling.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811119116 <-- Also nice, built on a base Centurion.

Lastly, look to invest in some quality fans for your computer. The bigger a fan is, the more cubic feet of air it can move even at lower speeds (and thus lower soundlevels). Preventive maintnance of your computer case is also a good thing. It's handy to have a few cans of compressed air to clean dust and such out of your case, fans and CPU-heatsink every now and then, as a heatsink with a dustbunny-party in it does just the opposite of what it SHOULD do.

Regards

Fjordmonkey

Clustermunitions is just another way of saying that you don't like someone.

I used to like people, then people ruined that for me.

I had solved my cooling problems with anything but subtile aproach.

thermaltake Silent tower:

1003.jpg

It is not very heavy, the only problem is the space to the PSU wich is usualy the limiting factor.

Its aluminum version of the cooler on the right.

Dscn1364.jpg

This is a size comparion to a "regular" cooler like yours.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

That's one sweet piece of cooling, Pilotasso =) I'm looking at going either for a Noctua-cooler for my next system, but the thought of a Reserator 1 Plus from Zalman has also been on my mind. There's some mad overclocking to be done on the Core2Duo's :D

Regards

Fjordmonkey

Heat Is BAD BAD BAD!!! :)

That thermaltake will do well to lower that cpu temp!

It seems we have some Coolermaster fans on the forum! Here's a link to my case... Praetorian 730 http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/Products.aspx?pid=1121

And heres a pic of my heatsink and mother board from last week. I was lapping the heatsink... I'm a geek

Thermalright Si-120 with panaflo ... keeps it rather frosty

ss1_P1010061.JPG

Somehow I dislike the complexity that water cooling brings to a system. I preffer conventional air cooling. As long as temps dont go over 60º Im not worried, those chips can hangle almost 90º. And it doesnt garauntee silence, todays water gadgets are as noisy as air cooling.

mine is 40º idle and 49º under load, except in summer but then my country is hotter than most of yours anyway.

My PC specs below:

haha thanks shadow. i like your "local geek store" and "dustbunny-invasion/party inside your case" :)

This is my case- RaidMaxScorpio668SilverNeonCase_000.jpg

Its got pretty good airflow, but right now bad fans :-P. Oh yeah looking at my case, can you tell me what way I should have my fan blowing on the chasis, I currently have it blowing outwards into a space an inch wide, and fear to make it blow inward because its got dust all along the side of the desk. hehe

Anyone know of a site that talks about the metallurgical differences (i know they're extremely slight) between aluminum, copper, and nickel? Between copper and aluminum I think the difference is that Copper "grabs" heat better but Aluminum dissipates more quickly... dunno

Copper conducts the heat better than aluminum. Heat conductivity is one of the propeties that defines metals. The differences are not that negligeble. They are observavble and do influence results. Design nonsense may prevent that from hapening though.

My PC specs below:

I use this

p10104570qi.jpg

No noise and very low temperature for a overclocked (from more than one year) A64 from 1,8GHz to 2,2GHz (39C idle 45-46 on load)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

I recently bought a bigger tower case nothing special..Jeantech £50 with two 120mm intake fans on the front and one 120mm outake fan at the rear & 80mm side case fan..dropped my CPU temp's by 10C..now idle's depending on room temps from 30C-34C

I reccomend a big case for good airflow and those large 120mm fans sure make a difference..when i put my hand by the rear fan you can feel the cool air blowing out.

Be Good..Be Strong..:drink: ;)

haha thanks shadow. i like your "local geek store" and "dustbunny-invasion/party inside your case" :)

From the looks of it, it's a Raidmax-modded Chieftec-case. It should have, if memory serves me, two or three slots for 8cm fans in the front, and one or two in the back. Personally I would have it pull air through the front and out the back, as you then get the best airflow and moving of hot air inside the case. The cool air coming in through the front will create a vortex which will draw heat down from the top of the case and pull it out the back as well.

What kind of a powersupply do you have?

Regards

Fjordmonkey

Corsair... are you asking which direction the side fan should blowing? I'd say inwards...most side fans blow in and onto the CPU. What I would do is make sure your cables are nice and neat (it's an art, dont tell me it isnt (lol)) and have a good idea of cubic feet per minute being pumped in and out of your computer, check your case specs.

I just remembered from the picture I posted... Replace your stock chipset fans with an improved one... chipset fans are like 8 bucks and it's good fun, lets you clear out the bunnies as well.

Zaelu... nice HS

Guest IguanaKing

Corsair, that looks like a Tt Volcano. Good HSF solution, but man is it noisy as hell!!! I highly recommend a Tt Big Typhoon. The thing is HUGE and looks like something which belongs on a 428 Cobra Jet, but it works. Its a 120mm fan on top of copper heat pipes and fins. Its virtually silent at full speed, and keeps my Conroe in the mid-30's C under load...a temperature even I could deal with on a summer vacation. :D

If your temps are going as high as 162 F, something is wrong. Before you replace that fan, clean the HSF and processor with a xylene-based cleaner such as "Goof off", then follow-up with rubbing alcohol before applying your heat-sink compound (I use Arctic Silver 5). Take care not to touch any of the mating surfaces with your bare fingers, finger oil will INSTANTLY break down ANY heat sink compound and pretty much render it worthless.

Good luck. :D

Ive got the Thermalright xp-120 (similar to the HSF in Fudd's picture)

Slap a 120mm fan on top of it and a few more in the case (I like the noise - it sounds like a jet! adds to the immersion ;) ) and my 3500+ stays lovely and cool (30-40C under load) even during a hot 40+C aussie summers day.

Corsair: That Tt Volcano will serve you well - I used to have one on my last rig, does its job well but as IK says it can be a tad noisy (especially with the fan at full hammer!) Lotsa good advice in here - nothing else that really needs to be added except maybe good luck in sorting out the overheating :thumbup:

vvs504sig.jpgvvs504sig.jpg

BomberWing, VVS504 Red Hammers -

http://www.vvs504.co.uk

Somehow I dislike the complexity that water cooling brings to a system. I preffer conventional air cooling. As long as temps dont go over 60º Im not worried, those chips can hangle almost 90º. And it doesnt garauntee silence, todays water gadgets are as noisy as air cooling.

mine is 40º idle and 49º under load, except in summer but then my country is hotter than most of yours anyway.

That's all true. More complex -yes. Noisy (powerfull watercooling) - yes. Chips can handle higher temps- yes. BUT: The colder the stone, the higher the FSB -> more candy for lockon :D . And that's the reason for water cooling!

And actually, those ain't so complex in these days anymore. Those huge heatpipe coolers can be allmost as tricky as waterc. to install. Also true: water and electronics don't mix... But that's just my opinion, everybody uses what suits best for them!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AMD 4000+ @ 3000 ::: ATI X1950 XTX @ 702/1044 ::: 2G Corsair TWINX2048 3500LLPRO @ 500 ::: 21" Sony ::: Saitek X45 & P8000 ::: TrackIR 4 Pro

http://www.355stalkingtigers.com

I use the Zalman 9500 here. Idle is mid to high 20's and full dual core load upper 30's. This is on a dual core 170 that runs stock at 2.0Ghz and I have it overclocked to 2.9Ghz. It is quiet also. Great cooler for air.

ATI Manta (Sapphire PC-A9RD580)

Opteron 170 @ 2.91Ghz

Mushkin XP4000 2*1G @264Mhz(3-3-2-6)

HIS X1900XTX IceQ3

TrackIR3 Pro