No gazelle mission/campaign in DCS 2.0?

mch_zh

Hi. I am new to DCS and installed DCS 2.0 with Nevada and Gazelle.

However, I do not find any really interesting missions or campaigns included for the heli? (besides the 3 training one: cold start, static truck and improve piloting skills) Really, I spent 100USD but get no mission/campaign content???

Thanks for advice

PS1: on youtube I've seen campaign missions, but I guess this is only available in 1.5?

PS2: I found 3 missions in the user files sections

Hi. I am new to DCS and installed DCS 2.0 with Nevada and Gazelle.

However, I do not find any really interesting missions or campaigns included for the heli? (besides the 3 training one: cold start, static truck and improve piloting skills) Really, I spent 100USD but get no mission/campaign content???

Thanks for advice

PS1: on youtube I've seen campaign missions, but I guess this is only available in 1.5?

PS2: I found 3 missions in the user files sections

AFAIK, DCS 2.0 is very much in alpha. Lots of fun can be had, still, but content is limited.

You probably want a parallel installation of DCS 2.5.5 as well for the full experience, as most folks do.

There is very little training in DCS 2.0.x I wish there was a "Free Flight"mission for the Gazelle like there is fr the Huey.

For the Gazelle I just create a "Fast Mission" remove the enemy forces in the advanced setup page for the mission. Being blown out of the sky by a Mig whilst learning to fly the Gazelle is just an added complication that I'd rather not deal with. :music_whistling:

Doing this at least allows you to get some hours up learning the Gazelle. As others have said you will need to install 1.5.5 and you should also be able to register your models in both versions. Depending on you PC you'll find DCS 2 to perform better than 1.5.x but remember DCS 2.0.x is a beta release.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

• 11 months later...
@vracan: nobody said so ?

And if, this will take some quite some time, till it is accessable again. The campagne for 1.5 was made for 1.5 exclusivly and was never intended to be made for 2.5 2 years ago.

2.5 is the successor of 1.5 and newer versions of DCS are meant to be backwards compatible. That is why also everyone expects the Gazelle (and any other module) to be working in 2.5, as any other DLC like campaigns ...

But that said, I can understand that adjustments and work is needed and that this may take time.

@Flagrum:

I understand the expectations fom a customer base, but if I take that argument into the flight enviroment, the expectations would be the same way true for the backwards compatibilty from a F16c block 52 avionics down to a F16a block 10, which it is not?

The F16c was the successor of the F16a too, so theoretically the belgians and dutch would not have to buy new F16c just upgrade the F16a they have ;)

2.5 is technically a new software and all the teams that are in the DCS niche work hard to make 2.5 happen as flawless as possible.

2.5 also is a new 3d mesh of the enviroment, which means not any single mission can be easily convertd from 1.5 to 2.5

I wish it would be that easy.

Reworking a campaign in 2.5 will be something like having "n" mission into nevada and converting them in "SoH". Terrain is completely different exept for few areas: mesh changes, AI pathfinding changes, trees areas are extremely increased and trees are collidable, building and object may have different shape. That said the 2.5 caucasus map will be brand new and that could mean that something may be broken and therefore every thing needs to be verified (i.e. a group crossing a bridge.. that might not work anymore as previously).

For A2A exclusive mission might be easier, cause everything happen in the air or in airports, where many things are pretty strightforward. But for ground-oriented missions it won't be so easy... you need to verify every group and unit placement, every working trigger, every AI path for ground movements and relative timings, etc etc. This not taking into account scripts or coding.

And to be honest, I don't think that this kind of work should be completely gratis: how a SH is supposed to pay own re-work in this situation?

That said I completely understand this situation, but what I am curious is why the campaign developer can't start working on it now and might take weeks or more to be done. Probably some other developer might be in the same situation also?

• Like 1

ChromiumDis.png

Author of DSMC, mod to enable scenario persistency and save updated miz file

Stable version & site: https://dsmcfordcs.wordpress.com/

Openbeta: https://github.com/Chromium18/DSMC

The thing is, helicopters are different from planes. An airplane by it's nature wants to fly, and if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in this delicate balance the helicopter stops flying; immediately and disastrously.

Plus One here.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

but what I am curious is why the campaign developer can't start working on it now and might take weeks or more to be done. Probably some other developer might be in the same situation also?

Because I didn't get the access to 2.5 dev. (To be honest and transparent with you). It's not because of Polychop team, lack of communication or stuff like this. I am not technically anymore part of the Polychop team, i simply make myself sure that when fixes are needed, I can transmit them to Sven or Pat. But it's on my free time, I delivered a product on contract, got paid, now I simply ensure the maintenance. And so, I hadn't any real possibility to get the access, as long as I am not so different from any customer, I don't own my company or anything, and as I am student in High degree at University, well, I don't have time to spend in creating one.

I will do my best guys, really, I wouldn't accept that this work may end badly. Give me one to two monthes after 2.5 release. There will be a lot of work from what I understood, and I may even have to update the pdf maps... What a pleasure . . . I will try to release the first chapter as fast as possible. (7 first missions)

Nicolas

Edited by dimitriov

@dimitriov ...thats fine, of course, take your time. I have post poned the campaign for 2.5 until now, couple months more doesn't bother me. Although i'd be interested to know whether the conversion for 2.5 (this is mainly aimed at Polychop) is contractually mandatory for 3rd parties or simply ''good form'' as a developer...so to speak good advertisement for your brand so that customers know they won't be left in the dust. I would imagine there are some contractual clauses that specify how a module's upkeep costs are shared?

Buying modules for DCS kinda goes with a promise (at least thats the expectation i reckon) that modules, with everything that accompanies them, will be kept in playable shape pretty much for as long as DCS is commercially available.

And i do get it: the beauty of DCS is its constant development and that things you buy today will be more awesome couple of years down the line, or at least the overall experience of a module in it's environment that is. And these upkeep costs, that are probably significant when such a big change/advancement like Caucasus 2.5 hits, are not easy to calculate beforehand.

Again, take your time. Better have a properly transferred version later than a poor one now!

dimitriov mine wasn't a complain of any kind. I was asking cause I'm a mission designer myself and I understand how difficult is going to be this process. That is why I said that it shouldn't be free of charge... and this is more important if the work is done in your free time but the delivered quality is the same as a sh product.

I was guessing if other teams also might have the issue... but if you don't have access to the beta is perfectly understandable that it might take more time than who has access since weeks or months.

thank for the answer and best luck in updating the campaign :)

ChromiumDis.png

The thing is, helicopters are different from planes. An airplane by it's nature wants to fly, and if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in this delicate balance the helicopter stops flying; immediately and disastrously.

From what I can see it will be most a replace & verify issue, triggers aren't that much different than 2.2. But I almost don't use them (I prefer a full-scripting way) so I could be wrong on that side.

ChromiumDis.png

I have, it happens, but most of the time is due to something strange with the AI behaviour.

ChromiumDis.png

• 1 month later...

I do not want to download 2.5 open beta and then have a whole new download and whole new copy in my HD(I have limited HD space) when 2.5 officially is released, so anyone know when 2.5 official release happens(or is it going to be like 2.2 open alpha which never got released)??