**Viggen Release Information (27th)**

Cobra847

The key to all this is a very simple phrase again - "Pre-release" Try and take things in that context and don't hold them to such high, over ambitious standards.

Ok, now I see you totally missed what the complaints are about.

Reading ED webshop it says 27th on stable 1.5.5.

Bugs/pre-release/alpha/beta/tomJones/forestfires are not the case.

Seriously.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who said anything like that?

Very strange reaction to something totally reasonable and utterly beyond Leatherneck's control. I am sure I speak for everyone when I say how much we will miss you.

So is wrong communication between ED and Leatherneck or bad cooperation?

Seriously.

DCS: AJS-37 Viggen will launch on January 27th for $59.99. Pre-Purchase now for $47.99 and save 20%!

all this time you waste complaining you can switch over to beta i just did a full reinstall of beta and took 5 minutes....

ok edit i see this small print

This product can be downloaded and installed through the DCS World Module Manager. If you do not have DCS World installed, you can download the DCS World web-installer by clicking this link. If the product description does not have information about which DCS World version you should install, you only need to have the "Stable" version DCS World 1.5 installed on your PC.

so sure i can see the confusion for some.... either way this stuff is fluid and having been around since the beginning it is always changing. But to be clear what is above is on all modules as a disclaimer i assume

Edited by Enduro14
  • Like 1

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

You have not read the announcement:

there is no notice about the version on which they launched the Viggen first!

Yes, and exactly from this point is expectable that will be released in standard / stable version.

When will be wrote something like: "will be released first in beta version"

all is fine and I do not make pre purchase any unstable version where is need create any next install beta version ..

Edited by Magot

DCS: AJS-37 Viggen will launch on January 27th for $59.99. Pre-Purchase now for $47.99 and save 20%!

that is what it says, i dont see where it states its coming to 1.5.5 stable..... all this time you waste complaining you can switch over to beta i just did a full reinstall of beta and took 5 minutes....

Feel free to read the following lines too, unless you enjoy ripping things out of context.

--

$59.99

$47.99

STEAM Incompatible

Minimum system requirements: OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i3; RAM: 8 GB; Free hard disk space: 30 GB; Video: 2 GB RAM card, DirectX11 - compatible; requires internet activation.

Recommended system requirements: OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i5+; RAM: 16GB; Hard disk space: 30 GB; Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX780 / ATI R9 290 DirectX11 or better; Joystick; requires internet activation.

This product can be downloaded and installed through the DCS World Module Manager. If you do not have DCS World installed, you can download the DCS World web-installer by clicking this link. If the product description does not have information about which DCS World version you should install, you only need to have the "Stable" version DCS World 1.5 installed on your PC.

--

Even if they remove this text today it is still what they sold us despite any logfab tricks.

World isn't stopping due to this, all compaints are due to disappointments - no need for you defenders to make this so hostile and toxic.

Sith's little new year thread sure looks invalid today.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes, and exactly from this point is expectable that will be released in standard / stable version.

When will be wrote something like: "will be released first in beta version"

all is fine and I do not make pre purchase any unstable version where is need create any next install bete version more GBs etc .etc.. .

come on now its listed as early access like all other modules that come out, weather it releases on open beta or the stable branch makes no difference its still early access and considered not final product right???

All new modules, and especially one that also requires some changes to core DCS features (e.g. setting up missile waypoints for the RBS15 in the ME), are launched in the open beta release branch before going "stable". Potentially breaking the stable release branch for users who don't own the Viggen is not something worth risking.

I just read through this thread and I find the outrage unbelievable. How can people be upset about this? It's perfectly fine and normal that new stuff enters the beta first (to make sure it's in good condition) before it comes to the release branch. And it's really not a big deal for us players, because all we have to do is to enter the following line in the Windows CMD:

DCS_Updater.exe update @openbeta

It will change your DCS installation to the beta. It doesn't change anything for you, except that you will get the updates earlier. It won't even download anything, because the two branches are identical atm.

(More information can be found here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=114030)

So really, what's all the fuss about?...

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 4

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Feel free to read the following lines too, unless you enjoy ripping things out of context.

--

$59.99

$47.99

STEAM Incompatible

Minimum system requirements: OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i3; RAM: 8 GB; Free hard disk space: 30 GB; Video: 2 GB RAM card, DirectX11 - compatible; requires internet activation.

Recommended system requirements: OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i5+; RAM: 16GB; Hard disk space: 30 GB; Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX780 / ATI R9 290 DirectX11 or better; Joystick; requires internet activation.

--

Even if they remove this text today it is still what they sold us despite any logfab tricks.

World isn't stopping due to this, all compaints are due to disappointments - no need for you defenders to make this so hostile and toxic.

Sith's little new year thread sure looks invalid today.

Nothing stated on that page is incorrect though...

1.5 Stable = Caucasus map.

and the Viggen release will be on the Caucasus map (I.E everybody will be able to access compared to a 2.0 release where only those with NTTR could get it).

It does not Specify what 1.5 version (1.5.5 or 1.5.6) only that it will be a 1.5 release and that is indeed what it is So no Promise has been broken as we will still have a Caucasus release on the 27th...

And again To both you and to Magot.

Leatherneck has NO CONTROL OVER WHAT VERSION THE MODULE IS RELEASED ON FIRST!!!.

That is all up to ED so if you feel like you have to yell at somebody then yell at ED instead of Leatherneck since Leatherneck has no more say in this matter then you do...

Edited by mattebubben

Seriously.

We could go round and round in circles all day if you like. I am retired, I have the time.

Let me explain it in a little more detail if you are having problems understanding the situation, I replied to your first complaint by saying "everything is subject to change" - which is something that covers last minute changes to the format for release. With me so far?

Then you said - and I paraphrase here - "That's very unprofessional"

To which I added my final comments.

I would suggest I do have a firm grasp of the situation, and I definitely understand where you are coming from.

The fact is that you were taking a paragraph that talks in general terms...

"This product can be downloaded and installed through the DCS World Module Manager. If you do not have DCS World installed, you can download the DCS World web-installer by clicking this link. If the product description does not have information about which DCS World version you should install, you only need to have the "Stable" version DCS World 1.5 installed on your PC."

And then reading into it something that it never conveyed anyway. It is not stating "the Viggen will be released in 1.5.5 Stable" as you assume, so perhaps you might want to review it again anyway.

My suggestion still stands too. If you want an error free, hassle free, "not subject to change", version of the Viggen or any other module, then simply wait until it is out of Beta. That way, you won't have to concern yourself with any of these heartaches you experience at present.

I can absolutely see how this would be frustrating to people and I am loathe to blow that all off as "they are looking for something".

This announcement is an unexpected event for some who have pre-purchased one that involves the potential expenditure of more money and time.

Luckily switching between branches is relatively straightforward but it does consume more space which can leave those who are tight on SSD/HDD space feeling painted into a corner. I've had to install beta to my HDD instead of SSD - download limits and space are costly and tight so I'm not overly thrilled myself.

That said, this is an ED decision and not a Leatherneck decision. I applaud the guys for posting about this prior to release rather than after the fact.

Nothing stated on that page is incorrect though...

1.5 Stable = Caucasus map.

and the Viggen release will be on the Caucasus map (I.E everybody will be able to access compared to a 2.0 release where only those with NTTR could get it).

It does not Specify what 1.5 version (1.5.5 or 1.5.6) only that it will be a 1.5 release and that is indeed what it is So no Promise has been broken as we will still have a Caucasus release on the 27th...

And again To both you and to Magot.

Leatherneck has NO CONTROL OVER WHAT VERSION THE MODULE IS RELEASED ON FIRST!!!.

That is all up to ED so if you feel like you have to yell at somebody then yell at ED instead of Leatherneck since Leatherneck has no more choice in this matter then you do...

Seriously?

Amazing.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ok, so I wasn't expecting to have to load the beta but fine, that's easy enough by the looks of it. What surprises me more appears to be that it's been developed and tested on the stable branch. Why would you then release on a branch you haven't been using? New functionality? Bug fixes? Isn't it a bit late in the day for that switch?

Anyway, it will be what it is. I've paid my money.

I can absolutely see how this would be frustrating to people and I am loathe to blow that all off as "they are looking for something".

This announcement is an unexpected event for some who have pre-purchased one that involves the potential expenditure of more money and time.

Luckily switching between branches is relatively straightforward but it does consume more space which can leave those who are tight on SSD/HDD space feeling painted into a corner. I've had to install beta to my HDD instead of SSD - download limits and space are costly and tight so I'm not overly thrilled myself.

That said, this is an ED decision and not a Leatherneck decision. I applaud the guys for posting about this prior to release rather than after the fact.

How does it consume more space?? The beta is not bigger than the release branch...

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Ok, so I wasn't expecting to have to load the beta but fine, that's easy enough by the looks of it. What surprises me more appears to be that it's been developed and tested on the stable branch. Why would you then release on a branch you haven't been using? New functionality? Bug fixes? Isn't it a bit late in the day for that switch?

It's not a decision by LNS. It's just because it is the next update by ED. And there is no real difference between them, except that the beta branch gets an update earlier, which then comes to the release branch later.

Tornado3 small.jpg

Well my thought is their is some bugs that may affect the community in a whole hence why they are releasing on the open beta to get through some teething issues. Also is this not the first major ground radar being brought into the sim? I imagine this is allot more tech coming into the sim compared to a Spitfire?...

You don't need a separate beta install unless you have to have 1.5.5 for MP servers that haven't bothered with updating.

DCS_updater.exe update @release

updates your install to the latest release version, and

DCS_updater.exe update @openbeta

updates whatever version you have installed, beta or release, to the latest open beta version.

...and you can switch back to the @release if the @openbeta doesn't work as expected.

How does it consume more space?? The beta is not bigger than the release branch...

If you were looking to install 1.5 Beta as a total separate install and not using workarounds for worry about corrupting your current install.

In that circumstance you have an extra 30gb or so needed for installation. Not everyone is going to flick around their install between openbeta and stable branch.

In the end it's an issue of ED having 3 separate versions of the game always running.

Edit: personally i back up things to my external HDD so it doesn't particularly bother me.

If you were looking to install 1.5 Beta as a total separate install and not using workarounds for worry about corrupting your current install.

In that circumstance you have an extra 30gb or so needed for installation. Not everyone is going to flick around their install between openbeta and stable branch.

In the end it's an issue of ED having 3 separate versions of the game always running.

Edit: personally i back up things to my external HDD so it doesn't particularly bother me.

But even DCS gives you the option to switch from stable to OB, so how it would mess up the files?