Low pressure oil WARNING

Goa

Hi all,

Sometimes on startup procedure the low pressure oil warning is ON, so even tough I follow the start-up procedure the Gas producer will not go up and remains at 10% (throttle has been already moved from dentle position to iddle position as always) and the low pressure warning remain with lights ON.

What is the reason for that and how to solve the problem?

This usually happens when playing online ,is it something related to external temperatures?

Thanks a lot.

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

The oil pressure warning lights will remain on until the engine is running and pressures are within appropriate range. If you're not getting past 10%, you've probably forgotten to set the Main Fuel switch on or you have not properly set the throttle. You should rotate the throttle handle from "Cut-off" all the way up to full, then down to the idle stop. Then release the idle stop, go to cutoff, and raise it to full again. Finally, reduce it to the idle stop.

This does a couple of things:

1. Ensures the idle stop and release mechanisms for proper operation

2. I believe it also "primes" the fuel delivery system.

I may be wrong on that last point, but it seems to work better that way.

In any case, not progressing past about 10% on the gas producer indicates there is no combustion turning the engine. You may also have a weak battery if you've attempted more than one or two starts - depending on how long you've engaged the starter. In that case, you would need to engage the ground crew to connect the GPU for the start process. (Ask me how I know! :music_whistling:)

Hope this helps,

Highspeed

Thanks Highspeed1964 for your kind help but unfortunatelly I am still having the same problem, but for some reason I am still having the same proble, oil engine pressure still illuminated.

So about the throttle could you please explain your poing: 1. Ensures the idle stop and release mechanisms for proper operation

How am I supposed to do that? Usually I just move the throttle up, down then up then again down (bust not completely down).

What is the iddle position of throttle?

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

When moving the throttle down, you'll hit the Idle Stop which is a mechanism that prevents inadvertent closure of the throttle to the Cutoff position in flight. You need to press the Idle Stop Release button to move past this stop when shutting down the engine.

Having said that, I do not believe this is the problem with your oil pressure light. Are you saying that you get that when the engine is running? Or are you having trouble getting the engine running? From your earlier input, I believe you are not able to get it started if I understand correctly.

So first things first, we need to get the engine running as the oil pressure will be low until that happens. If it remains on with the engine running then that is definitely something that would require immediate attention.

Re-reading your original post, I also notice that you mentioned that it usually happens when flying on-line. In this case, the server you are connecting to may have failure modes enabled which might require external GPU (Ground Power Unit) to get enough electrical power to spool up the engine enough to "catch" and ignite the burners.

Three things are required to get the engine turning under its' own power:

1. Sufficient electrical power (battery/external GPU, generator, etc.)

2. Fuel flow

3. Intake air

The electrical power is needed to start the spooling operation as well as to operate the igniters. Once the igniters fire off, they need fuel to burn and generate the operating power. As this happens the intake air properly flows through the combustion chamber to mix with the fuel and provide the remaining component of the 3 requirements for combustion: Fuel, Oxygen and Heat.

So if you're not getting past about 10% on the gas generator, you're missing one or more of those components. When spooling, are you hearing the igniters "clicking"? Have you verified fuel controls are in the proper position? (Don't forget that Main Fuel switch.) Also, check the DC Voltmeter when spooling. Is it above about 14V DC? If not, you will not gain sufficient RPM to produce combustion.

Finally, check your DC Circuit breaker panel located on the overhead panel and make sure no breakers are popped. If failure modes are turned on, this could be one of the failures that are enabled and if a breaker that affects the ignition system is popped, you'll never get the engines started.

So the short of it all is that there are many things to check and an understanding of the fuel, ignition, electrical and even the governor systems will help. You may want to give a good read in the flight manual, particularly pages 14 - 19 (Engine and Related Systems) and Chapter 6 - Helicopter Systems. Knowing how it all works (or should work) will help in troubleshooting.

Hope this helps,

Highspeed

• Like 1

When moving the throttle down, you'll hit the Idle Stop which is a mechanism that prevents inadvertent closure of the throttle to the Cutoff position in flight. You need to press the Idle Stop Release button to move past this stop when shutting down the engine.

Having said that, I do not believe this is the problem with your oil pressure light. Are you saying that you get that when the engine is running? Or are you having trouble getting the engine running? From your earlier input, I believe you are not able to get it started if I understand correctly.

So first things first, we need to get the engine running as the oil pressure will be low until that happens. If it remains on with the engine running then that is definitely something that would require immediate attention.

Re-reading your original post, I also notice that you mentioned that it usually happens when flying on-line. In this case, the server you are connecting to may have failure modes enabled which might require external GPU (Ground Power Unit) to get enough electrical power to spool up the engine enough to "catch" and ignite the burners.

Three things are required to get the engine turning under its' own power:

1. Sufficient electrical power (battery/external GPU, generator, etc.)

2. Fuel flow

3. Intake air

The electrical power is needed to start the spooling operation as well as to operate the igniters. Once the igniters fire off, they need fuel to burn and generate the operating power. As this happens the intake air properly flows through the combustion chamber to mix with the fuel and provide the remaining component of the 3 requirements for combustion: Fuel, Oxygen and Heat.

So if you're not getting past about 10% on the gas generator, you're missing one or more of those components. When spooling, are you hearing the igniters "clicking"? Have you verified fuel controls are in the proper position? (Don't forget that Main Fuel switch.) Also, check the DC Voltmeter when spooling. Is it above about 14V DC? If not, you will not gain sufficient RPM to produce combustion.

Finally, check your DC Circuit breaker panel located on the overhead panel and make sure no breakers are popped. If failure modes are turned on, this could be one of the failures that are enabled and if a breaker that affects the ignition system is popped, you'll never get the engines started.

So the short of it all is that there are many things to check and an understanding of the fuel, ignition, electrical and even the governor systems will help. You may want to give a good read in the flight manual, particularly pages 14 - 19 (Engine and Related Systems) and Chapter 6 - Helicopter Systems. Knowing how it all works (or should work) will help in troubleshooting.

Hope this helps,

Highspeed

Thanks for your promt reply.

So to reply to your questions I would like to be more accurate as I've noted on my previous post I missed importat details

In order to start up my engines this is what I do:

1) I follow up the procedure as indicated in the manual/official tutorial for cold engine start

2) battery is on, ac phase, governo to auto, main fuel switch to on, trim on etc etc,

3) I move the throttle to full (as it started closed/dented ), then move it back untill stop position then I move it up again just a few millimeters above stop postion --> is that the right procedure for the throttle?

4) Yes i can hear sometimes the "clicking" of the ignitors , they keep cicking for a while and then the engine just dont's stop.

This "clicking sound" of the ignitors occures usually at the 2nd attemp of engine startup.

To be more clear this is what happens:

- I startup the engines soemtimes it reaches about 10% then stopp that without going upper, so go through an "apparently" wrong stop engine proedure, so I retry to re-start the engines and this times the gas procedure doest not even go beyong 1-2 % and I can hear the ignitors and of course failure engine startup.

And about this /quote If failure modes are turned on, this could be one of the failures that are enabled and if a breaker that affects the ignition system is popped, you'll never get the engines started / unquote

so what is causing the igniton to brake??

I think this is the reason why at 1st or sometimes 2nd attempt there is no way at all to start the heli.

Yes, the battery is usually only good for one or two attempts at starting.

As for the start procedure, it sounds like you're going through it pretty completely. However, the throttle should be at the idle stop when engaging the starter. I don't think having it slightly above this would break the startup, though.

Also, I would be concerned if failure mode causes startup issues so easily ore frequently but I would check with the server admins if they have failure modes turned on.

For troubleshooting beyond this, would you be able to post a track file showing the startup? A lot of it at this point (even in the real Huey) would be visual to determine where the failure is. Even a screenshot of the caution panel may help as it could show other warnings that are more pertinent to the startup of the engine.

We'll help you get to the bottom of this hopefully.

Highspeed

P.S. If you're able to duplicate this in single player mode that would be helpful as well.

Edited by Highspeed1964

It seems I have managed to fix the problem, it was related to a "non idle stop" position of throttle, so it's working great.

As for the startup yeah the battery seems to be able to perform only 1 attempt to startup, is that normal?

3) I move the throttle to full (as it started closed/dented ), then move it back untill stop position then I move it up again just a few millimeters above stop postion --> is that the right procedure for the throttle?

Goa, based on your latest post it sounds like you got things sorted out.

I would add add, however, that the appropriate startup throttle position for the Huey is on the CUTOFF side of the Detent by just a smidgeon.

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS