1st Civilian Owned Su-27

X_Man

Looks like the asking price was $6,000,000 each. Wow...

Some neat info I'm just copy pasting from a diff website on the sale of these aircraft:

Since the hard points have been removed, does that mean the option to mount external fuel drop-tanks has also been eliminated?

With the hard points removed there is no accommodation for extended range drop tanks.

Why the restriction on flying outside the US? I’m guessing that this is because the planes in and of themselves are classified as weapons and export rules apply?

They’re not restricted from flying outside the US, they’re restricted from being sold to any non US buyers – for obvious export reasons.

Any idea what the requirements are for a pilot wanting to fly these?

As for the training required to operate them, the guys at Pride indicated that you’d have to have a minimum of 1000 hours PIC and experience in high G conditions. They said that anyone who had been flying something like the L-39 would easily be able to transition into the Flanker. There is no type rating required to go faster than the speed of sound, you would have to go out into international waters. There is apparently a restriction on Mach if you have a US Pilot Certificate unless you receive special permission from the FAA – not a type rating, but “special permission”. I assume that if you did go faster than sound over international waters and didn’t have special permission, you would be violated when you got back into US airspace.

Edited by Sulaco
  • Like 1

Su-27 owner: "Today I'm going to do a flight"

Me: "Hm, interesting, what aircraft are you going to fly? Cessna 172, maybe a Skylane?"

Su-27 owner: "Ahhhh... nope, I'm going to fly a Su-27 Flanker"

Me: What the heck!?

By the way, I would like to know what kind of avionics this aircraft has? maybe the standard Su-27S avionics? And the radar?

That may be a stupid question but I really want to know...

..Some neat info I'm just copy pasting from a diff website on the sale of these aircraft:

Since the hard points have been removed, does that mean the option to mount external fuel drop-tanks has also been eliminated?

With the hard points removed there is no accommodation for extended range drop tanks.

LOL....neither Q or A seem to realise that the Su-27 never had that option in the first place(as if that was a problem).

This Su-27 was bought by the united states department of defense.

I don't think this is the Flanker operated by the USDoD. The one recently sighted wasn't a UB and there's two of these, N131SU and N132SU.

Both of which are registered as property of Meridican Inc. Leasing them to the DoD seems like a likely outcome.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

These Aircraft have been in the states for almost a decade.

they were de-militarized prior to shipping, and when they got here, they were re-fitted w/ western components.

And they have on multiple occasions been used by Private Company in an Aggressor Role w/ US Military.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Be nice to put DCS inside that and fly a mission while cruising atlantic...

Sent from my SM-T231 using Tapatalk

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.