Viggen nav system

OperatorJack

I just pulled the trigger on my pre purchase and I'm wondering about waypoints in the Viggen

Seeing as the more popular servers (Looking at Blue Flag) generally don't have pre set waypoints, will Viggen pilots be able to use the data entry panel or INS in another way to make a set of waypoints, even if it's just a couple for IP, target and home plate/

/да бойз/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I just pulled the trigger on my pre purchase and I'm wondering about waypoints in the Viggen

Seeing as the more popular servers (Looking at Blue Flag) generally don't have pre set waypoints, will Viggen pilots be able to use the data entry panel or INS in another way to make a set of waypoints, even if it's just a couple for IP, target and home plate/

You can just enter them before Taking off.

Alongside with M Target points, L runways up to 2 if I remember correctly and also interest points and/ or reconaissance points.

In brief:

1) set data selector to REF/LOLA (LOngitude-LAtitude, always a visual reminder that the coordinate inputs are reverse of what you're used to!)

2) switch to INPUT,

3) type in longitude, 6 digits; the display goes blank

4) type in latitude, 6 digits; the display now flashes between lon/lat to show you what you're submitting to the computer

5) hit the waypoint button of your choice (B-whatever)

edit: As ever when finished with input, set AKT POS and switch to OUTPUT.

Waypoints for the Rb-15 (Bx) are a bit different. You can also make target and popup waypoints, so all you're asking for can be done using lon/lat while you're on the ramp. You can promote a movement waypoint to a target either directly, or by adding a popup vector to it. That happens with the data selector in TAKT mode, see manual, p. 184f.

For waypoints, from the manual, pp. 178-9:

IzBD4KR.png

ZugSVmJ.png

editedit: congratulations on the purchase. MUDSPIKE! c;

Edited by scaflight
  • Like 1

I'm wondering: as the onboard navigation system allows only two digits for degrees input/output, how will AKT POS coordinates appear on the data panel when flying over Las Vegas ( LO -115.17 E, LA 36.16 N ) or Iwo Jima island ( LO 141.32 E, LA 24.78 N)?

Shall we see ( 151700 / 361600 ) for Vegas, and ( 413200, 247800 ) for Iwo Jima?

...or shall the CK-37 internal computer crash? :D

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

I'm wondering: as the onboard navigation system allows only two digits for degrees input/output, how will AKT POS coordinates appear on the data panel when flying over Las Vegas ( LO -115.17 E, LA 36.16 N ) or Iwo Jima island ( LO 141.32 E, LA 24.78 N)?

Shall we see ( 151700 / 361600 ) for Vegas, and ( 413200, 247800 ) for Iwo Jima?

...or shall the CK-37 internal computer crash? biggrin.gif

Been asked before, and answered: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3005508&postcount=59

Thanks, mate. :thumbup:

I wonder if there will be reference numbers in place and/ or if we will be able to create them?

Yes, the manual mentions them several times. Airbases will each have a reference numbers.

Thanks, mate. thumbup.gif

I wonder if there will be reference numbers in place and/ or if we will be able to create them?

Yes, the manual mentions them several times. Airbases will each have a reference numbers.

I'm pretty sure we won't be able to create our own reference numbers, though.

Edited by Flappie

Neither. I don't know what the technology is called and I don't think I've ever seen it used anywhere else - it's pretty clunky. Here's how it works: each digit uses eleven separate lamps mounted behind a film with numbers cut out in it. The resulting light then passes through some focusing optics to form the visible part of the displayed digit.

TDg2iRm.png

Neither. I don't know what the technology is called and I don't think I've ever seen it used anywhere else - it's pretty clunky. Here's how it works: each digit uses eleven separate lamps mounted behind a film with numbers cut out in it. The resulting light then passes through some focusing optics to form the visible part of the displayed digit.

TDg2iRm.png

That's a very SAAB way of doing it i may say so myself. :lol:

For the KA50, Gazelle and A10C, I use the xx°xx.xxx, reason why I set my F10 map in this format too. To change the map, you have to go in the options, so not doable while in game (SP or MP)

The Viggen seems to use the xx°xx'xx'' format. Can we change it ?

i9 9900k, 64 Go RAM, RTX 4090, Warthog HOTAS Throttle & Stick, Saitek Combat Rudder, MFD Cougar, Trackir 5 Pro, Multipurpose UFC and Oculus Rift S (when I want some VR),

http://www.twitch.tv/zarma4074 /  https://www.youtube.com/user/Zarma4074 

Copy-of-DCS-A-10C-User-Bar-CMR-ConvertImage.jpg

For the KA50, Gazelle and A10C, I use the xx°xx.xxx, reason why I set my F10 map in this format too. To change the map, you have to go in the options, so not doable while in game (SP or MP)

The Viggen seems to use the xx°xx'xx'' format. Can we change it ?

Probably not being as the computer uses 6 digits, and that format uses 7

LAlt + Y changes the coordinate system of the F10 map in game.

TDg2iRm.png

Thanks! I have been searching for this information for a while.

It would be nice to have some detailed information about the optics.

And as soon as there is a DCS Bios support for this bird it should be possible to replicate (more or less accurate and complicated of course).

I had something like this in mind: http://www.decadecounter.com/vta/articleview.php?item=1093 before I did know about this "Sifferindikator" solution.

Edited by BravoYankee4

That's a very SAAB way of doing it i may say so myself. :lol:

I second that. It is amazing how many technical solutions swedish engineers built that are totally different from the rest of the world (50's to 80's).

And the SAAB engineers being the true masters of doing things in an odd way. Sometimes ingenious, but mostly just plain odd :)

Does the system use decimal at and long like the mirage?

No, it uses the Degrees - Minutes - Seconds format.

Lat 41° 45' 11'' N
Lon 41° 29' 07'' E

The coordinates above have to be entered into the navigation system like this:

It is important to remember to start with LONG first and then LAT after that.

That is why the rotary position is called LOLA.

Check out my YouTube: xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled

In brief:

1) set data selector to REF/LOLA (LOngitude-LAtitude, always a visual reminder that the coordinate inputs are reverse of what you're used to!)

2) switch to INPUT,

3) type in longitude, 6 digits; the display goes blank

4) type in latitude, 6 digits; the display now flashes between lon/lat to show you what you're submitting to the computer

5) hit the waypoint button of your choice (B-whatever)

edit: As ever when finished with input, set AKT POS and switch to OUTPUT.

Waypoints for the Rb-15 (Bx) are a bit different. You can also make target and popup waypoints, so all you're asking for can be done using lon/lat while you're on the ramp. You can promote a movement waypoint to a target either directly, or by adding a popup vector to it. That happens with the data selector in TAKT mode, see manual, p. 184f.

For waypoints, from the manual, pp. 178-9:

IzBD4KR.png

ZugSVmJ.png

editedit: congratulations on the purchase. MUDSPIKE! c;

You are completely awesome for taking the time to help out. I just can't state enough how your post made my day and I already know this nav stuff. You are a credit to this passionate hobby! Reps inbound.

I second that. It is amazing how many technical solutions swedish engineers built that are totally different from the rest of the world (50's to 80's).

And the SAAB engineers being the true masters of doing things in an odd way. Sometimes ingenious, but mostly just plain odd :)

Perhaps it wasn't that SAAB'ish after all. I have been digging a bit and found out that the general english term for this seems to be "One plane readout" displays.

FZ1_Zeichniung_805px.jpg

Pretty common during this time period as it seems, used in anything from aircrafts to volt meters.