Rift image distortion Stretching/squishing

trigen

So i got my rift today and sadly the image squishes and stretches when i look around and the god rays are awful in this headset. The squishing and stretching is everywhere, so its a headset fault or software.

Anyone else have this image distortion and have been able to fix it? Vive seems to be miles ahead here, i dont have any of these issues but the Rift wins on the clarity, much better. But if the image gets distorted and severly squished (especially in the edges but thats not related) it unusable. IpD is set etc. Can get it reasonable well with head position but still quite distracting

Other than that, no doubt the Rift for sims. better tech, sim is butter smooth at 90 or 45

Edited by trigen

1080 ti, i7700k 5ghz, 16gb 3600 cl14 ddr4 oc

So i got my rift today and sadly the image squishes and stretches when i look around and the god rays are awful in this headset. The squishing and stretching is everywhere, so its a headset fault or software.

Anyone else have this image distortion and have been able to fix it? Vive seems to be miles ahead here, i dont have any of these issues but the Rift wins on the clarity, much better. But if the image gets distorted and severly squished (especially in the edges but thats not related) it unusable. IpD is set etc

Strange. I don't experience this. Am i lucky? Reinstall oculus or repair, maybe a repair to DCS. Oculus Beta? I hope for you that it helps.

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Are you sure your sensor is identified and tracking?

If it is not you should have a message regarding it in the Oculus Home screen.

On one of my flights I launched yesterday everything was really strange, if I moved my head the cockpit moved with me rather than my head moving independently, I checked it out in the Oculus software and my sensor was not being detected. I kept trying to get it to detect but it would not, ended up restarting my PC and then all was well... I think my sensor I have plugged into my Innatek USB 3.0 card may have gone to sleep...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Everything is setup correctly as far as i know, resetted and tried again several times. I can get it reasonably well if i move the headset to say the perfect position. Problem is then im a tad high compared to the line vertical calibration in the IPD setup (not a huge deal) . Dont think there is much i can do about it at this point, it will squish and move a bit when i move my head. Will see if there's a beta or something i can try that compensates for it. Thankfully i dont notice it that much in the pit but looking down at the blanket in Oculus desktop and view from side to side is not great, it shrings and bends

This is ASW. Some people experience, some don't. With Num Lock on, hit Ctrl and Num Pad 1 at the same time. (Ctrl and Num Pad 4 turn this system back on.) Its messy Occulus SDK stuff that seems to be glitchy to some and double frame rates for others.

Thanks but its more a lens alignment/tracking issue . If its not perfectly aligned it will be messed up. Lets say a square, the top will move left while the bottom will move right or be stationary unless perfect on the vertical setup. I can solve that. Also when you are correct vertical but not width you can get a squish and stretch effect when you pass over the square.

Maybe my eyes are just in the worst spot they can be for this who knows. I get none of this on the Vive regardless of where i put the HMD, it might be there but perhaps you wont notice at all since the FOV is a tiny bit bigger. So its mainly my face but ill play around until i can get it as close to good as i can

the only time i have experienced anything that sounds like that is if i look around while i am pressing the zoom key.

zoom always ends when i lift off the button, but i wonder if it can somehow be latched and in need of being deactivated again?

That does not sound normal to me either, granted I have only had my Rift for a few days but can't say I have seen anything like is being described.

I have several hours in it now.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Lens alignment issue chaps, thanks for the inputs but this one can be put to rest. Rift VS my eyes isnt perfect and leads to small distortions. Hardly ever notice in the pit unless i look for it now anyway :)

To sum it up. Rift, clearly the better and smoother tech for flight sims. Sadly plagued by geometric distortions, pupil swim and smudging god rays, who knows what they were thinking. Drives you crazy in games with squares and walls etc. lots of people reporting and lots just ignoring it i guess. Not an issue for Sims thankfully and the lenses are nice and clear. Sweet spot is very small if you add in the distortions though, i need mm precision.

Vive good marks for all, no noticeable pupil swim, never seen any distortions. Sadly much harder on the hardware and much less clarity outside the sweet spot. If you play a lot of other games id go for the Vive. Wish i could keep both. Sims the Rift still wins but so many headaches.

Thats how it is for me anyways.

No clue what you are taking about with all these distortions and such. You sure you don't have a defective Rift?

I sure hope so but seeing as a Oculus tech told me it sounds like what you're describing might be the normal operation of the rift i dont have high hopes. Just have to ignore it as best i can. Then again im getting none of this on the Vive and so many claims not to have any at all so you never know. Depending how the discussion with Oculus goes i may RMA to be sure.

From this post : https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/36380/lens-distortion-on-my-app-in-cv1-also-notice-on-other-apps-now-too

"Thanks for the idea, unfortunately it was a no-go. I actually just got a message from Doc_ok on reddit and it seems like it's probably an issue with the CV1 not having eye relief and me not in the "optimal range" with my face type/eye position, here is the comment:

"My best guess is that you're seeing a physical/virtual FoV mismatch. If your eyes are closer to the screen than what the software considers "normal," you are seeing a smaller FoV because the lenses magnify the screen image slightly less. You can see the magnification difference in the images in my FoV article: in Figure 29 (5mm eye relief), the lower-right corner of the screen is 50° from the center; in Figure 30 (10mm eye relief), it's 55° from the center.

If the software uses the same rendering FoV in both cases (and since it doesn't know your actual eye relief, how could it not?), you'll get a mismatch. The symptoms of FoV mismatch are exactly what you describe: the world warps as you rotate your head while fixing your eyes on a fixed point in the environment. The extreme case are desktop FPSs where rendering FoV is vastly greater than screen FoV.

Pupil swim also plays a role, but I think it's not the main issue here."

Looks like back to DK2 and the Vive I go for now, I find the warping when looking around at things to be intolerable personally :neutral: "

Its quite a big issue for me anyway and ive tried with no padding, some padding, lots of padding etc, just cant get it right. And when close to perfect the image still moves a slight bit, more than enough to ruin the experience sadly.

If they could just give us a tool to override and set fov for all games it would be great. Live for speed looks much better at 89 FOV than it does at 90 for me. The rift is set at about 89,7 at least in the SDK demo but its on a 2440x1598ish res so i may be wrong there.

Edited by trigen

Its a fov mismatch and nothing in the debugger tools for that sadly. If one use the ingame VR zoom and look around you will get a fov mismatch and the world moves,thats whats happening to me at all times, subtle but highly annoying. Is there any way for me to set a different fov trough the setting files in DCS?

What i really need of course is a tool from Oculus but they seem to have adopted the end user is an idiot and need everything spoonfeed while being shit scared of any sort of liability. May be hard to get anything out of them . Thats the trend nowdays i guess.

If you guys don't have any movement when looking from side to side using the Vr zoom there must be something seriously wrong with my unit. My image shifts wildly if I got full vr zoom and look around

If you guys don't have any movement when looking from side to side using the Vr zoom there must be something seriously wrong with my unit. My image shifts wildly if I got full vr zoom and look around

I can understand that you may get distortion when using zoom and moving your head around, your only meant to use zoom to check instruments or a quick look at an area outside to spot targets etc , not use it all the time!! I thought you were getting this problem when in normal view as your first post suggests, that's why i said it wasn't normal.

I can understand that you may get distortion when using zoom and moving your head around, your only meant to use zoom to check instruments or a quick look at an area outside to spot targets etc , not use it all the time!! I thought you were getting this problem when in normal view as your first post suggests, that's why i said it wasn't normal.

Using zoom was just an example to illustrate the effect I'm always having, it's not exactly the same but you get the idea. But there's no fix for it other than different eye relief or fov calculations that I can't get without a lot of mask mods or software, and it has to be half a mm accurate. I just choose to ignore it now. Annoying g as it is the pic quality far out weights the use of the vive where the eye relief is just right

Using zoom was just an example to illustrate the effect I'm always having, it's not exactly the same but you get the idea. But there's no fix for it other than different eye relief or fov calculations that I can't get without a lot of mask mods or software, and it has to be half a mm accurate. I just choose to ignore it now. Annoying g as it is the pic quality far out weights the use of the vive where the eye relief is just right

If I’m understanding you right and you’re getting this in normal view I stand by my comment before it’s not normal, you need to have a go with another rift to check but I think yours is faulty

If I understand what you are saying with this image shift then I don't really have that while zoomed in. As per everything else you have written it sounds like a defective unit. I would RMA it and if you have the same issues with a new unit then maybe this FOV and other stuff you've mentioned is a thing.