HOTAS Cougar software on a modern Windows

Rudel_chw

I try to get your profile into my DCS. ..What am I doing wrong?

Hi Dick,

You don't say which aircraft's profile are you using, but let's say it is the one for the F-16 .. on every one of my profiles I include a text file that says if any specific binding is needed .. for example, for the F-16 the document says:

11.- DCS keyboard bindings:

Please define the following keyboard bindings on DCS -> Options -> Controls for the F-16C

HDG Set Knob - CCW/Decrease = LCTL + h

HDG Set Knob - CCW/Increase = LSHF + h

CRS Set / Brightness Control Knob - CCW/Decrease = LCTL + k

CRS Set / Brightness Control Knob - CW/Increase = LSHF + k

MAN RNG Knob - CW = LALT + r

MAN RNG Knob - CCW = LCTL + r

Countermeasures_Management_Switch-Aft = LCTL + m

Countermeasures_Management_Switch-Fwd = LALT + m

Countermeasures_Management_Switch-Left = LSHF + m

Countermeasures_Management_Switch-Right = RCTL + m

CAMERA/GUN_Trigger-FIRST_DETENT = LCTL + l

Expand/FOV_Button-Depress = LCTL + f

Paddle_Switch-Depress = LCTL + p

Transmit_Switch-IFF_IN = {LCTL i}

Transmit_Switch-IFF_OUT = {LCTL o}

Throttle Cutoff Release - Depress = LCTL + a

I do try to use the standard module's bindings, but sometimes there are command for which the developer has not provided any key-binding ... on those cases I've to make up my own .. those are the ones that I state on the documentation.

Best regards,

Eduardo

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Another thing which is important if things don't work: check keyboard versions!

An AZERTY board generates different keys compared to a QWERTY, only a few keys are involved but a lot of signs are organized differently which may result in different actions if pressed.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

With it you can at least check if the radar cursor axis are not (electronically) broken, otherwise going TUSBA will be wasted money.

AGREED!

I plan to load Foxy at my earliest convenience and try it out.

Right now my next major purchase is going to be the F-14 Tomcat. Summer discount plus have a bunch of miles to use with it.

When I loaded up and activated the TARGET software it caused problems when I tried to fill in the rest of the keyboard controls on the DCS control window. I't kept adding the mouse button 1 to the profile when I used the mouse button to click the OK button at the bottom right corner.

So I had to shut down TARGET and restart DCS. As soon as I did it went away.

Guess they don't play well together.

Having said that can you use Foxy combined with DCS or will I have the same conflicts?

Foxy is not a GUI (Graphical User Interface) like the TARGET GUI is.

You use it to write profiles which can then be downloaded into the Cougar through the CCP (Cougar Control Panel which is acessable from within Foxy). After the installation of the Foxy software you will also have a direct link (desktop icon) to the CCP so you don't need to open Foxy to download different profiles made for different aircraft. If you have made them, you can select them from within the CCP. After the download of the profile into the Cougar, you can close and the CCP and Foxy, no need to keep that running in the background when you run DCS. Also, the downloaded profile will stay in the Cougar, even after a reboot.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

This SW-22 chip was for make the old F22PRO - predecessor of Cougar, work in digital mode instead analog.

Since F22PRO was a gameport joystick, with or without this chip upgrade is not usable in modern computer and Windows after XP. A piece of museum. ;)

Damn!! Not another museum piece...lol.

Foxy is not a GUI (Graphical User Interface) like the TARGET GUI is.

You use it to write profiles which can then be downloaded into the Cougar through the CCP (Cougar Control Panel which is acessable from within Foxy). After the installation of the Foxy software you will also have a direct link (desktop icon) to the CCP so you don't need to open Foxy to download different profiles made for different aircraft. If you have made them, you can select them from within the CCP. After the download of the profile into the Cougar, you can close and the CCP and Foxy, no need to keep that running in the background when you run DCS. Also, the downloaded profile will stay in the Cougar, even after a reboot.

If you used Foxy for your DCS aircraft instead of DCS control panel wouldn't you have to set up a separate file in Foxy for each aircraft you fly in DCS and then wouldn't you have to go into Foxy and apply that format to the controls before you could use it?

If you set up your controls in Foxy for emulate the F-15 but then wanted to fly the F-5E wouldn't they conflict with other?

Edited by msmith301

If you used Foxy for your DCS aircraft instead of DCS control panel wouldn't you have to set up a separate file in Foxy for each aircraft you fly in DCS and then wouldn't you have to go into Foxy and apply that format to the controls before you could use it?

Yes but you don't need Foxy to do that each time, you can select these from the CCP once you made them in Foxy.

There are 3 ways to use a Cougar HOTAS in DCS.

1: DCS Control Panel (DCS CP) where you assign a button action to a certain control (DX button).

2: Through a Foxy profile, downloaded into the Cougar where you define macro's which corespondend to the keyboard combination you find in the DCS CP and then assign those macro's to the desired button on your HOTAS.

3: A combination of both, with HOTAS buttons directly in DCS CP, macro's in your Foxy profile or assign DX buttons directly in your Foxy profile (and make al of sorts of combinations and action with it). This last one is the most powerfull one.

Tip: There's an Excel file which transforms all DCS CP actions directly into macro's so you don't have to type in everything manually. Also, only use those action in macro's you really want to program. Makes everything small and tidy.

If you set up your controls in Foxy for emulate the F-15 but then wanted to fly the F-5E wouldn't they conflict with other?

It depends on the keyboard assignments.

If DCS CP F-15 has keyboard "g" for Landing_Gear_Toggle and F-5E has also "g" for Landing_Gear_Toggle, it works just fine for both.

It does not work if both have a different keyboard action.

And, if using DX buttons, you have to set them up in the DCS CP anyway, for each aircraft individually.

PS: Using Foxy makes your Cougar HOTAS a lot more powerfull tool then assigning your stuff just in the DCS CP.

A little example, nothing powerful but just easy: Folding the wings of an F/A-18C.

Folding requires: Pull Leaver (mouse wheel), turn leaver left (mouse click), turn leaver left (mouse click). 3 actions programmed with a little delay in between, just one button click with a Foxy profile. Not possible in DCS CP.

PPS: Foxy has quite a good help manual with lots of examples.

Edited by Lange_666

If you used Foxy for your DCS aircraft instead of DCS control panel wouldn't you have to set up a separate file in Foxy for each aircraft you fly in DCS

Yes, I have one profile for each aircraft, like this:

4fQHh8P.jpg

and then wouldn't you have to go into Foxy and apply that format to the controls before you could use it?

Yes, but the Cougar stores the profile in its memory and you won't have to download it again until you change to another aircraft. If you are one of those DCS users that fly a lot of different aircrafts, then having to download a profile each time you change planes can be quite annoying.

That's why I mostly fly a single aircraft for several weeks, it suits me well since I'm not good at remembering in detail more than one or two aircrafts at a time.

They don't conflict, but the commands generated by the Cougar won't correspond with those used by that DCS module.

In any case, you are not forced to use Foxy at all .. you can ignore it and configure your Hotas using DCS alone .. the microstick problem should be solved on the Cougar Control Panel, no need to use Foxy for that.

Best regards,

Eduardo

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

That's why I mostly fly a single aircraft for several weeks, it suits me well since I'm not good at remembering in detail more than one or two aircrafts at a time.

Hehe, same here, why can't we all be Ralfidude?

Is there anything with the Cougar HOTAS that should be loaded up before loading Foxy V4.0

Drivers, etc..?

All I ever did was just plugged in the controllers and started using them. Never installed any basic software for them.

Also should I install the HOTAS Cougar Foxy V4.0 Flight Sim Support Pack?

Does it have anything worth while or are they older sims that are no longer used?

Just start on page 1 of this topic (https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=181049) and work your way through Rudel_chw's steps, you need nothing more.

Rudel chw;

Question: On page 3 of your download you say the installer will copy driver files into the default folder C:\Program Files(x86)\HOTAS

However when I look into the Program Files (x86) there is no HOTAS folder present.

Should this folder already be present or does the installer create the HOTAS folder for you?

Just want to verify a few things before I start this process.

It's not there by default.

The installer creates one for you.

If you select to install in another location then C:\Program Files (86)\HOTAS, your files will be in that chosen directory, not in C:\Program Files (86)\HOTAS.

It's not there by default.

The installer creates one for you.

If you select to install in another location then C:\Program Files (86)\HOTAS, your files will be in that chosen directory, not in C:\Program Files (86)\HOTAS.

Got it

thanks

On Eduardo's behalv (because i'm borred atm...héhé):

That's self invented (by putting DCS in front you can keep everything nicely together).

But... if you make one and save both (macro (.tmm) and joystick (.tmj) file) one takes the name of the other, just with another file extension. Makes things easy.

Dear everyone and of course our Eduardo.

I found out that I don't must place a question that fast.

RTFM ..... that's the most common thing in my problem.

I had a lot of "problems" created by myself.

First this:

Yes it was for the F16

I did a mismatch with some programming ....

AND ... I had to read all the manuals before doing something.

First I saw that the Spanish keyboard is the same as we use in the Netherlands (QWERTY), so that was oke.

Then I saw that I had some different settings in my buttons. That was because I had configure another file via Foxy from someone else.

So swapped to the right file in Foxy and then carefully made all the extra settings Eduardo wrote to me to do as in his manual. After this I still did not got a chaff or flare..... but that was "stupid I".

What is happening when you realy think that the button you push is the right one, but you have selected always that button inb another FS for this action? Right.... you will never release any chaff or flares.

So ... today I saw a Youtube lesson from someone and there was my self created problem.

I did not push the CMS fwd but S2.

I am realy adicted to my first name ;-)

But ... I am not that kind of guy that won't share my stupid mistake.... I share this with you.

I was realy surprised by all the answers of my question and have learned a lot these two days.

Hope to see you in the air..... of course with chaff and flares ;-)

Dick

... and there was my self created problem.

I did not push the CMS fwd but S2.

:thumbup: Glad to see that you have sorted out your issue :)

Cheers!

Eduardo

I was going thru all the steps.

I didn't get the error message about the "STTubedevice203.dll" file needing to be copied and pasted into the Window/Wow64 file because somehow it was already in there without me actually putting it there.

However I can't open the CCP panel because I'm getting this error message:

And then it gets even more frustrating when you can't even get the damn error message you screen shot onto your computer because of the damned Google security crap!!!

The simplest things to do always seem to be the most frustrating, aggravating and baffling.

Anyway the message says:

HOTAS Cougar control panel version 3.01

"Your current firmware does not support the latest calibration features."

"Please launch HotasUpdate.exe to be able to use this CCP"

Edited by msmith301

And then it gets even more frustrating when you can't even get the damn error message you screen shot onto your computer because of the damned Google security crap!!!

The simplest things to do always seem to be the most frustrating, aggravating and baffling.

Anyway the message says:

After digging around in the files I found the HotasUpdate.exe file and was able to update the drivers, version, whatever..sheesh!!

Was able to swap out the microstick Y and X axis for the toe brakes but still no recognition in any of the software calibration or setups.

I can only assume they must be broken.

Now I need to load Foxy....Saving that for tomorrow night.

I'M DONE FOR TONIGHT!!!

All I wanna do is fly!! :cry_2:

LOL, don't fight Google, you'll never gonna win. Just use anything else then Google to upload screenshots. Snipboard, Imgur, etc are all options.

Anyway the message says:

I guess your Cougar still has the original firmware installed. To use the latest software, you need the latest firmware. That is what HotasUpdate.exe will do.

Flashing the firmware: http://cougar.flyfoxy.com/foxyflash.php

PS: There's a warning in RED, read it before flashing!!!!

Update: you found it...;)

Was able to swap out the microstick Y and X axis for the toe brakes but still no recognition in any of the software calibration or setups.

I can only assume they must be broken.

Did you calibrate your entire setup through the Cougar Control Panel?

No response there?

Also, in the Foxy installation folder there is a file called HOTASCleanse.exe

With it you can clear your Cougar of any leftovers that might interfere with the microstick axis (it's possible that you need to reflash the firmware after that) and then start fresh with a new calibration.

Another thing: does the button on the microstick respond?

Did you calibrate your entire setup through the Cougar Control Panel?

No response there?

Also, in the Foxy installation folder there is a file called HOTASCleanse.exe

With it you can clear your Cougar of any leftovers that might interfere with the microstick axis (it's possible that you need to reflash the firmware after that) and then start fresh with a new calibration.

Another thing: does the button on the microstick respond?

Yes. Button 29 works for the microstick on everything I've tried it on, DCS control panel, TARGET, and HOTAS CCP just not the axis controls.

Was using the calibration routines in CCP last night but while everything else responded to the controls nothing from the microstick axis controls.

The entire clean sweep sounds a little involved. Have to look into this tomorrow night.

It's hard keeping up sometimes being in such different parts of the world creating different hours of being on the internet.

But I seriously appreciate the help and input.

Thing I'm starting to get this narrowed down.