Feature request - Guard channel and few other things

grunf

Both radios installed in Hawk have the ability to simultaneously monitor selected frequency/channel and guard channel (243MHz UHF and 121.5MHz VHF).

On UHF radio this is done by turning the left knob to "BOTH" position. Turning the right knob to "GUARD" position allows transmition and reception of guard channel only.

On VHF radio this is done by turning the knob to "T/R GUARD" position.

UHF radio (AN/ARC-164, also found in A-10C and F-5E) has the ability to save any manualy selected frequency as preset. The button is located under the cover panel at the top left of the radio. BTW preset frequencies can be written on the cover :).

Also, the UHF radio has the frequency range of 225-399MHz, i.e. the first digit cannot display "1".

Would be nice if all this will be implemented. :D

Why would you want guard in DCS?

Because it is realistic and as such it adds to the toolbox available for mission designers.

Dunno, you are on a regular training flight and suddenly you receive a distress call from the other team ...

In short: "posibilities." :-)

Will look into it as per of re-coding.

For realism mainly. If the real plane has the functionality, I'd like to see it implemented in DCS too :). So far only few modules have the fully functional guard channel, I'd like to see it working on all modules that have the possibility.

I'm sure that it can be used by mission designers, for missions like downed pilot search and rescue, air policing, intercept, to name just a few. :D

Thanks for looking into it!

Question mainly as I don't know the answer; if you broadcast on guard in DCS, can other aircraft and combined arms vehicles hear it?

If they are set to guard frequency in mission editor, yes, they can hear you. I've tried JTAC, AWACS, and tanker.

A talented and creative mission designer can also broadcast soundfiles specifically on the guard channels as well. Things like other aircraft broadcasting emergency and distress signals. Intercepted (civilian) aircraft are typically also communicated with on the guard channel. So you could use the hawk to simulate a mock-up training intercept :P

As an example, I created a mission where I am broadcasting the Hawk menu music through the UHF guard channel, and use the A-10C to tune into the guard and listen to it.

the setup in the editor:

NjyA8vy.png

• Like 1

Check my F-15C guide

If you a recoding the Radios, can you please also add the possiblity to export the frequency of VHF correctly?

At the moment the radio doesn't have 25-50-75 kHz dueto DCS export limitation. Thats a problem for 3rd party radio plugins such as the popular UniversRadio by Tacno. So even if i set the radio to 130.250, UR does only get 130.200 as the selected freqency.

Please change that, so i can talk with the other flights on all frequencys.

Ryzen 9 3900X, GeForce RTX 2080 Ti GAMING X TRIO , 32 GB RAM, Valve Index

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Visit us on Facebook

We use Universradio extensively to recreate ATC and radio comms as real as it gets in our Multiplayer wing. It would be nice to see the guard frequency implemented on the Hawk.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

Ok will look at that too but pretty sure the real thing doesn't go up in 25khz.

If the following statement by the OP is true:

UHF radio (AN/ARC-164, also found in A-10C and F-5E)

The statement is actually true.

iMF1E1Y.png

The AN/ARC186 VHF AM radio behaves in much the same way. I'm not exactly sure what radio's are mounted in the Hawk, been a while since I flew her :)

Check my F-15C guide

I'm pretty sure the Hawk has AN/ARC-164 (UHF) and ARI 23259/1 (VHF) radios. In DCS they both go in 25kHz steps.

Chris, I can confirm all the above. 25kHz steps IRL too.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.

Plato

Back home today and I can confirm the Hawk does tune in 25khz steps with the last dial on the UHF radio.

So I'm mis-understanding what the issue is?

You're saying that if the radio is set to 25, 50, 75 that it only exports 00?

Screen_170119_185804.thumb.jpg.4fb2ac42cf53b08011ded1e67ff182ab.jpg

Edited by Ells228

Back home today and I can confirm the Hawk does tune in 25khz steps with the last dial on the UHF radio.

So I'm mis-understanding what the issue is?

You're saying that if the radio is set to 25, 50, 75 that it only exports 00?

That's how I understood it too, 25/50/75 exports as 00. But I don't use any radio mods and can't test it, hopefully the person who brought up the issue will chime in and clarify. :D

BTW, I'm just curious, how hard is it to implement the guard channel, is it just a matter of adding/modifying few lines of code, or is much more work required?