Oculus and getting back to desktop + pop-in

deanbrh

Does anyone know a way to alt+tab or something to virtual desktop or 'bigscreen' so you can browse/Spotify whilst flying. Once you're in DCS you feel abit stuck there and have to remove the headset frequently if you need to access the PC. I'd like to stay immersed in VR but seem to be locked into DCS all the time when it is running.

Also, does everyone else get a fair amount of 'pop-in' quite close up when in VR or is it just me?

Many thanks

I just use Ctrl-Shift-Esc to jump out. I think I've used ALT-TAB as well, but I don't recall.

Not sure what "pop-in" is reference to, though.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Thanks.

Pop-in, is visual objects suddenly appearing in your view from nowhere at quite close range. Eg; A lamp post suddenly appears, whereas it should have been rendered further back to avoid breaking the immersion.

It doesn't do this for me in 2d but does in 3d, or perhaps i'm just noticing it more now

Virtual desktop does not play nice with DCS it seems. I can alt tab once or twice but if I keep doing it then I get stuck in DCS and cant alt tab out of it.

Finally, upon closing DCS virtual desktop needs to be restarted because its not working.

Its really a shame because this is the only way we can "look at another monitor" without taking off the headset (to see maps, charts, flight plans, checklists, etc).

I'm also starting to wonder if having virtual desktop running is eating a few FPS from DCS.

Virtual desktop does not play nice with DCS it seems. I can alt tab once or twice but if I keep doing it then I get stuck in DCS and cant alt tab out of it.

Finally, upon closing DCS virtual desktop needs to be restarted because its not working.

Its really a shame because this is the only way we can "look at another monitor" without taking off the headset (to see maps, charts, flight plans, checklists, etc).

I'm also starting to wonder if having virtual desktop running is eating a few FPS from DCS.

Oops, can you explain? I have virtual desktop and offcourse DCS. Can i switch in rift? Help me... :D:thumbup:

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Virtual Desktop + DCS

You are in DCS and want to switch to Virtual Desktop: you have to Alt+Tab directly to Virtual Desktop. Just Alt+Tab to Desktop or whatever other program is open does not work well.

Your are on the Virtual Desktop and want to switch back to DCS. You have to have Virtual Desktop active and then switch with Alt+Tab directly to DCS.

If you switch to antoher programm for example browser and then try to switch back to DCS it does in most cases not work. You have to peek out of the VR headset to see that you hit the programs exactyl with the little Alt+Tab icons.

Quote Vedexent: The technical term for an over ambitious ground attack pilot is "dead".

Quote SiThSpAwN: I figure 1.5 will have to buy some roses and chocolates, take 2.0 to a nice restaurant, and if it opens doors and is a gentleman, 1.5 and 2.0 might just get to merge one day.

Virtual Desktop + DCS

You are in DCS and want to switch to Virtual Desktop: you have to Alt+Tab directly to Virtual Desktop. Just Alt+Tab to Desktop or whatever other program is open does not work well.

Your are on the Virtual Desktop and want to switch back to DCS. You have to have Virtual Desktop active and then switch with Alt+Tab directly to DCS.

If you switch to antoher programm for example browser and then try to switch back to DCS it does in most cases not work. You have to peek out of the VR headset to see that you hit the programs exactyl with the little Alt+Tab icons.

Thank you. :thumbup:

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

So you have to think of it like this: To switch VR applications you have to switch from the active VR application directly to the next VR application to get the headset to switch the view.

Just pushing Alt-Tab like we are used to on the monitor, not minding which program is active, doesn't work in VR.

So it's still far from perfect with Virtual Desktop + DCS. But it works 80% of the time. And after a longer session Virtual Desktop will still sort of crash. But its better than nothing.

I only tried Virtual Desktop via SteamVR not via the Oculus store.

Quote Vedexent: The technical term for an over ambitious ground attack pilot is "dead".

Quote SiThSpAwN: I figure 1.5 will have to buy some roses and chocolates, take 2.0 to a nice restaurant, and if it opens doors and is a gentleman, 1.5 and 2.0 might just get to merge one day.

• 2 weeks later...

I find SteamVR to be a bit of a resource hog.

it loads on top of the already running oculus runtimes, slows down many games,

games i have for Steam, instead of SteamVR, I re-do the shortcuts to launch the game directly and bypass SteamVR entirely.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Has anyone tried VD via oculus store instead of steam to see if its any different?

Yikes, you can get VD in the Occulus Store!!! Blimey, best keep an out out for that VR experience, I've heard of immersion but theres a line buddy! ;)

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.