Dirty Canopy?

Bulldog_1

During my first flight I rolled through the sunlight and I saw what appeared to be ...... a "Dirty Canopy!" or am I mistaken? No self respecting Aggressor Crew Chief (or any crew chief) is going to let his aircraft launch in that condition. Fine scratches are acceptable, but not a dirty canopy or windscreen. However, it is a good simulation of a dirty canopy.

Digital Storm Lynx: i9-10850k (5.2 GHz): 64GB RAM (3200 MHz): 2TB SSD M.2 Samsung 970 EVO: 2TB Samsung HD: GEFORCE 2080 TI: Thrust Master WartHog (modified): TM F-18C joystick: Saitek Rudder Pedals: HP Reverb PRO: Volair Sim Cockpit: Current Stable Version of DCS :thumbup:

IRL Retired Maintainer of the AT-38B: F-4E/G: F-15A/B/C/D: and McDonnell Douglas/Boeing Technical Advisor for the F-15C/D. I drive trains now. :yawn:

• 2 years later...

Seriously, what is on the inside of the canopy and wind screen? I tried turning on the canopy defog, but that did not help. I also noticed that it is also on the cockpit gages too! Does this aircraft not have a Crew Chief? As a Crew Chief I polished the inside and outside of the canopy and windscreen and gages every morning prior to flight.

Digital Storm Lynx: i9-10850k (5.2 GHz): 64GB RAM (3200 MHz): 2TB SSD M.2 Samsung 970 EVO: 2TB Samsung HD: GEFORCE 2080 TI: Thrust Master WartHog (modified): TM F-18C joystick: Saitek Rudder Pedals: HP Reverb PRO: Volair Sim Cockpit: Current Stable Version of DCS :thumbup:

IRL Retired Maintainer of the AT-38B: F-4E/G: F-15A/B/C/D: and McDonnell Douglas/Boeing Technical Advisor for the F-15C/D. I drive trains now. :yawn:

Myea, a bit of a trend in DCS sadly. A lot of filthy greasy canopies around.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

And no, it doesn't have a crew chief, ED has that slated for 2028 after stable game engine, landing lights that work like the real world, and a carrier deck that isn't an Ice Rink.

Oh and after 4 more graphic engine rebuilds from scratch.

• Thanks 1

And no, it doesn't have a crew chief, ED has that slated for 2028 after stable game engine, landing lights that work like the real world, and a carrier deck that isn't an Ice Rink.

Oh and after 4 more graphic engine rebuilds from scratch.

Judging by the sarcasm, I'm guessing that maybe you were a crew chief.

No, just poking at EDs bizzare and distracted development priorities. The canopy looks filthy because the lighing system was carelessly changed. Nothing designed before it tends to look right and you get dumb things like hazy canopies, afturburners illuminating the inside of the cockpit, and lights that in broad daylight are illuminating at the intensity of the middle of the night.

Anyway to get a clear canopy mod? Didn't see one in the DCS user files.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

@kdrum: God bless the working man!

Gives me a giggle thinking about a chief flying with a dirty canopy. I can see him staring at the smudge the entire flight wanting to "polish" it off and it drives him crazy. :megalol:

So no disrespect and only respect for maintenance personnel, but I prefer the not so perfect canopy.

Here is a recent pic in a VFC-13 F-5 flying over the Clan Alpine Mountains SE of Fallon. Despite the best efforts of "Adversary" maintainer.

IMG_0929-Reduced.jpg IMG_0929.JPGhttp:

Fight to fly, fly to fight, fight to win.

Callsign: Need

Shu-Ha-Ri

No self respecting Aggressor Crew Chief (or any crew chief) is going to let his aircraft launch in that condition. Fine scratches are acceptable, but not a dirty canopy or windscreen. However, it is a good simulation of a dirty canopy.

(please read in the most sarcastic tone possible)

This real life video with dirty canopies as so unrealistic, that never happens :smartass::doh:

When the sun hits this canopies, there is no water spots at all

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Here is a recent pic in a VFC-13 F-5 flying over the Clan Alpine Mountains SE of Fallon. Despite the best efforts of "Adversary" maintainer.

Sure, nothing against bug splats and other spots of dirt, but a general problem in DCS is this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=201053&d=1546266570

attachment.php?attachmentid=200608&d=1545734388

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Roger that K-K. That is excessive. Maybe flying/looking directly at the sun you might see that.

Perhaps it is a graphics engine lighting evolution in development that will change - lets hope.

A couple of things for fun -

- One thing that does not seem to be visually modeled - I suppose would bring computers to their knees - are interior reflections (mainly helmet reflections) can be distracting.

- Another would be cool "if" would be dynamic bug splats. LOL

Based off of time of year and altitude. Ok carried away here - more splats flying low over rivers and farms like IRL - I crack myself up.

Neither of these ideas is a real game idea just fun "what ifs".

Fight to fly, fly to fight, fight to win.

Callsign: Need

Shu-Ha-Ri

Roger that K-K. That is excessive. Maybe flying/looking directly at the sun you might see that.

Yep, its mainly a problem when you have shadows switched off (performance thing in VR), but the real kicker is, its not when facing the sun, its when facing away from it. In both these shots I have the sun somewhere under my butt. So you roll in on a ground target or something, and eeew. And many modules suffer from it. F-5 has it worst though.

- One thing that does not seem to be visually modeled - I suppose would bring computers to their knees - are interior reflections (mainly helmet reflections) can be distracting.

They have the static now, but they only really work on monitor when not overdone. In VR they are really annoying cause they have no depth and look painted on. Actual dynamic reflections, yea that'll force most systems to their knees.

Also, with these digital representations, be it VR or monitor, we arent able to focus beyond it, which we can in real life. So imo its a no no to make the reflections (fake or dynamic) as strong as in real life.

- Another would be cool "if" would be dynamic bug splats. LOL

Based off of time of year and altitude. Ok carried away here - more splats flying low over rivers and farms like IRL - I crack myself up.

That would actually be pretty cool and I dont think it would be hard to do. Most racing games have that or similar, like dust/rubber kick up that sticks to the windscreen.

Sure, nothing against bug splats and other spots of dirt, but a general problem in DCS is this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=201053&d=1546266570

attachment.php?attachmentid=200608&d=1545734388

This always happens to me, I do not know what to do anymore, I tried to change all the settings and still I still have this problem.

[DCS: F-5E BRASIL]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This always happens to me, I do not know what to do anymore, I tried to change all the settings and still I still have this problem.

Looks like your canopy is fogging up. I have not played the DCS F-5 for a while, but are you turning the aircond to hot before descending?

I dont think defogging has any impact on this. Its there, no matter what, when the sun hits up under the canopy. The only way to limit it, is to enable shadows (flat is not enough).

- Or edit the textures, but then it wont pass IC, except if its made as a custom cockpit, but for that we need to know all the material names for the description lua.

• 3 months later...
There is also a big difference between what a camera can see and what a pilot would see looking outside his/her cockpit.

Nope. Not really.

Also that's not fog. It "crazing". Granted its a bit over done, but it's what happens when little microscopic scratches pretty much cover a windscreen over time. I have seen that in real life when the sun is at the right angle. A good coat of some kind of wax polish (we used pledge...lemon) works great.

Edit. And the pledge keeps the bugs off...and smells lemony

@need-to-know..... If they did the bug splat thing it would be awesome and realistic. What pilot has not looked at a bug on the windshield and thought it was another plane? But then there would be such moaning and gnashing of teeth from the gamers....then there would be a clean windshield mod....and so on.

Edited by Zeagle

In RL, with depth perception and lots of other visual cues, you can "see through" the obstructions if there are any on the canopy in most situations. In DCS, with a 2D screen in front of you, this is not the case. Videos of crazing and bug splats therefor are meaningless.

This is an old discussion here, and it is very tiring honestly. ED's approach on simulating realism in this respect is way over done and just handicaps you more than you already are just by virtue of it being a sim with only a 2d screen and some audio for cues on what's happening around you. The way they've "baked in" obscuring textures in the FC3 aircraft is especially egregious since you can't even try to move your head around to get a different angle on the reflections.

OP: I have gone in a edited most of the worst offending textures manually to reduce or eliminate the effect, so that is an option albeit one you shouldn't have to do. You can search for how to do that.

Only reason I'm commenting at all is just to give a +1 to the requests for ED to tone it down, or give an option or something.

IIRC, you can remove the dirt by editing F5E-CPT-CNPY-02_RoughMet.dds. I think green channel was dirt and blue was cockpit reflections, but don't quote me on that

Simply add it to your liveries (either the plane or the cockpit ones) with this line:

{"F5E-GLASS-CNPY", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC, "F5E-CPT-CNPY-02_RoughMet", false};

And it will pass IC without any issue.

To remove the scratchs, edit the texture F5E-CPT-GLASS-NORM.dds (make a 256*256 uncompressed 8.8.8 dds, filled with gray 128,128,128 )

And add this line to the description.lua :

{"F5E-GLASS-CNPY", 1, "F5E-CPT-GLASS-NORM", false};

(posting from mobile, I hope I'm right...)

Intel 9900KF @ 5.1GHz / RTX 2080S OC @ 1.93GHz / ASUS Prime Z390-A / 2x16Gb DDR4 @ 3333 CL16 / Corsair TX850M / Samsung NVME 970 EVO+ / TM warthog Thr. / VKB Gunfighter mkIII + MCG / MFG Crosswind mk3 / Valve Index