Alternate Data Cartridge Lua?

Krinje

I'm making the suggestion and wondering if there is any possibility (can it be achieved technically within DCS's framework, and is there any dev willingness?) that the Viggen data cartridge could have an alternative to the .miz via a .lua file? This would allow a pilot to create (and share with his flight) his way points prior to wheels up easily, and the ability to create a functional 3rd party map or mission planning utility.

While a well crafted single player, or even coop mission may not need this, they can still benefit from different pilot approaches, strategically and literally. Multiplayer, especially PvP, missions are notorious for poor way points, with incomplete information, or simply used as "markers" for general areas. Even if this isn't the case then the field changes greatly over time in many of the more open and sandbox like environments that great map designers have made. An externally accessible Lua would enhance the experience greatly.

While this idea could work well for all DCS aircraft (with WP navigation systems) The Viggen especially could really demonstrate how effective a tool like this could be, and could affect change in other and future modules. Thanks for any consideration given. I can't wait for the Viggy!

I'm making the suggestion and wondering if there is any possibility (can it be achieved technically within DCS's framework, and is there any dev willingness?) that the Viggen data cartridge could have an alternative to the .miz via a .lua file? This would allow a pilot to create (and share with his flight) his way points prior to wheels up easily, and the ability to create a functional 3rd party map or mission planning utility.

I made a thread pertaining somewhat to the capability to perform pre-mission planning for the Viggen and other aircraft already here and in the future that use a data cartridge loading system for the same reasons you've stated. But I must say that being able to share a .lua file with wingmen and other flights of Viggens would be a really cool idea! :thumbup:

Link to thread: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=178101

We actually started a tool like this of our own, but we haven't had the time to bring it to fruition.

It's a great idea! We'll investigate. :)

BMS has something similar to this in the form of the Weapons Delivery Planner program. It's invaluable to the mission planning process and it really adds to the immersion.

It's definitely something worth considering if you had plans to create one, I'm sure it'd be extremely popular. In fact I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't mind paying a little for an extra feature like that. I know I would.

BMS has something similar to this in the form of the Weapons Delivery Planner program. It's invaluable to the mission planning process and it really adds to the immersion.

It's definitely something worth considering if you had plans to create one, I'm sure it'd be extremely popular. In fact I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't mind paying a little for an extra feature like that. I know I would.

I talked a little about the BMS pre-mission planning system and DTS programming stuff on my thread too. I'm sure it would be welcome in the DCS community whole-heartedly. (I too would even pay money for a system like that.) :smilewink: