Gun sight still WIP or am I a Terrible shot?

ruddy122

Hi everyone

Curious to know if the gun sight on the Mirage 2000 is a WIP or final?

I'm not real good in using the gun and waste my 150 rounds real quick

I'm guessing I need more practice

Any thoughts on making my aim better?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LUCKY:pilotfly::joystick:

Computer Specs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz| GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 6Gb | RAM: 32 GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz | OS: Win 10 64 bit | HD: 500 Gb SSD

PS Read both Chuck's Guide and the flight manual just looking for any additional advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LUCKY:pilotfly::joystick:

Computer Specs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz| GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 6Gb | RAM: 32 GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz | OS: Win 10 64 bit | HD: 500 Gb SSD

A2A or A2G, the gun sight should show a unwinding circle. It should move counterclockwise. The the circle is at 3 o'clock, the target is in range.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

In A/A, the way the sight is working is much different than say an F-15 or a SU-27.

With Mirage sight, what you need to do is predict when the piper and the target will meet, and fire a second or two before that (time of flight of the shell).

Make sure to check out the manual ;)

And practice, practice (with mission editor or quick action), it takes a while to get used to it.

Here are some old posts of mine that describe how to use it

Actually, the snake represent the history of your gunshot if you were shooting continuously it takes maneuvering in account.

When you have radar lock the piper will represent where the rounds would have been after travelling the same distance that separate you from your target.

To use it accurately you must be in stable flight, however it is not necessary to put the piper exactly on the target.

What you need to do is to make sure the target meets the piper after you shoot. What I usually do is place my piper in a position I anticipate the target will be on, and I time my shot so the target passes on the piper just when the bullets arrive there.

I have attached a track, replay worked for me, I hope it will for you, don't use time acceleration and make sure to run the track from a fresh run of DCS (to avoid radar bugs) (typo in the track name, just noticed biggrin.gif).

The replay worked one out of three/four times actually (if the MiG-29 is hit two passes and RTB it means it's replaying OK)...

Here are a couple of screenshots from the latest kill (against Su-27), the one that you're more likely to not see, first image is taken when shooting starts, second image after the shells hit.

On first pass the target is above the piper and is sliding downwards as I'm pulling some Gs, so I fire early and the target is hit right after.

On second pass, the Su-27 was not destroyed, it is now below the piper and I'm letting it slide upwards, I fire a bit before he crossed the shell path, on left wing.

The point I want to make is that you shouldn't try to use the sight as you would for an F-15 or Su-27 sight, because those are also taking the target motion into account where this one is not.

If you try to keep your target inside the piper while firing you'll have a lot of miss. Instead, use the snake and the piper to predict where your shells will be and try to make them meet your target.

attachment.php?attachmentid=132602&stc=1&d=1452476103

attachment.php?attachmentid=132603&stc=1&d=1452476103

Yep, probably if you could have several simulatenous Sabre sights set at different distances it will look like a snake.

Yes, I'm trying to "walk" the piper on the target at a fixed rate to be able to estimate the moment of firing.

However the purpose of firing early isn't to walk the target into a stream of bullets, the purpose is to time the shots so the piper ends up on the target at the time the bullet have traveled the distance.

If I'm unsure of the time of flight, which can be difficult to estimate at long range or if the target is traversing at high rate, I might fire a little earlier with a little longer burst, which actually would end up in walking the target into a stream of bullets (but this is not the initial intent).

I find this method easier than trying to do a pure tracking shot (no apparent target motion), because I can fire almost immediately, rather than wait to be stabilized.

Also this tracking shot opportunity may never appear because if the target is maneuvering or changing speed, you'll have to constantly adjust, not getting that tracking position. Or worse, if you think you are tracking (piper on target, no apparent motion) and the target maneuvers - which is more likely if it was stable for a while - your shot will miss and be wasted.

This is why I suggested not to try firing with target exactly on the piper, because it requires more time to settle and is more likely to miss.

Those "mini-snapshots" are far more effective IMO.

P.S.: I put the track at half speed to take those pictures wink.gif

Edited by PiedDroit