New vid card with older rig? Anyone?

Sorry to plug up the forum with another thread but has anyone tried using a GTX 1060 or 1070 with an older system yet? I still have my P5Q (Core 2 Quad) system and want a newer card. Buying a whole new computer just to use a newer card is out of the question :)

Will an older system running Win 7 x64 access all of the VRAM on a newer card, say, 6 or 8GB? Or is there some kind of video card RAM limitation on older non-UEFI systems?

Thanx

Ian

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

One of the first things to check would be if the motherboard has a PCI-E 3.0 x 16 slot.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

I still have my P5Q (Core 2 Quad) system and want a newer card. Buying a whole new computer just to use a newer card is out of the question :)

Will an older system running Win 7 x64 access all of the VRAM on a newer card, say, 6 or 8GB? Or is there some kind of video card RAM limitation on older non-UEFI systems?

The new cards use PCI-e 3.0; but they are also compatible with the PCI-e 2.0 of your Asus P5-Q ... so, the new card will work, even tough it may be somewhat limited on transfer bandwidth.

Windows 7 will be able to use all the VRAM on the card, since that is the function of the nvidia driver, and nVidia still supports Windows 7 x64

I see no problem in using the new card for a while, but DCS will be cpu-limited until you can upgrade the rest of the system (motherboard-ram-processor).

:)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

The new cards use PCI-e 3.0; but they are also compatible with the PCI-e 2.0 of your Asus P5-Q ... so, the new card will work, even tough it may be somewhat limited on transfer bandwidth.

Windows 7 will be able to use all the VRAM on the card, since that is the function of the nvidia driver, and nVidia still supports Windows 7 x64

I see no problem in using the new card for a while, but DCS will be cpu-limited until you can upgrade the rest of the system (motherboard-ram-processor).

Very cool, thanks so much everyone, Imma bite the green paper bullet today. :)

Peace

Edited by Aluminum Donkey

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

Transfer bandwidth isn't too big a deal with 8GB on the card :) I just hope to heck it will all be recognized on my non-UEFI system. My computer is actually decently fast, but aching for VRAM...

Kit:

Just a suggestion but why not to consider updating the motherboard, CPU and RAM instead of GPU. With current prices for a good 1070 card, cost wise it should not be such a big difference. From the performance perspective 760 should be fine for the time being especially in Full HD resolution while changing mobo/CPU/RAM would be much better investment for the future as also leter on it would allow to run a new GPU to its full potential.

I was running DCS in high settings and 4xAA in 1080p with 660 Ti (more or less comparable 760), i5-3570k and 16GB RAM. In DCS 1.5 usually with min ~30 FPS on the ground and 80-120 or even more when flying high in the air. Nevada was also mostly ok, apart of flying low within Vegas center area which was too much for that config.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Just a suggestion but why not to consider updating the motherboard, CPU and RAM instead of GPU. With current prices for a good 1070 card, cost wise it should not be such a big difference. From the performance perspective 760 should be fine for the time being especially in Full HD resolution while changing mobo/CPU/RAM would be much better investment for the future as also leter on it would allow to run a new GPU to its full potential.

I was running DCS in high settings and 4xAA in 1080p with 660 Ti (more or less comparable 760), i5-3570k and 16GB RAM. In DCS 1.5 usually with min ~30 FPS on the ground and 80-120 or even more when flying high in the air. Nevada was also mostly ok, apart of flying low within Vegas center area which was too much for that config.

That's what I was thinking, but my 760 2GB does not cut it anymore. I'm thinking of getting a used 1150 or 1151 mobo with DDR3 or 4, just 'cause it's cheaper than trying to stuff 16GB of ddr2 into my box :)

Everyone says a 1060 or 1070 will work, and my Q9650 runs at 4.0 GHz or more, so it's not an issue... just trying to keep everything cheap. Even used unlocked i5's are not cheap! :)

Kit:

There's nothing stopping you from getting a 1070 now. Your system might not be able to use it to it's full potential, but it will still be a big improvement over your current graphics card, and you can always upgrade the rest of the system later.

A word of caution though: Now is not a good time to buy high end PC parts. Intel and Nvidia has a monopoly on the high-end segment right now, but AMD have both an high-end CPU and GPU coming out soon, and even if you're not interested in AMD, it still affects you because Intel and Nvidia will have to drop their prices. I expect prices to drop significantly in the coming 3-6 months.

There's nothing stopping you from getting a 1070 now. Your system might not be able to use it to it's full potential, but it will still be a big improvement over your current graphics card, and you can always upgrade the rest of the system later.

A word of caution though: Now is not a good time to buy high end PC parts. Intel and Nvidia has a monopoly on the high-end segment right now, but AMD have both an high-end CPU and GPU coming out soon, and even if you're not interested in AMD, it still affects you because Intel and Nvidia will have to drop their prices. I expect prices to drop significantly in the coming 3-6 months.

Maybe I should hang on until DCS 2.5 comes out. I bet the new Caucasus scenery will be a system-killer :)

I'm thinking about getting a new mobo, DDR4, and CPU combo instead of a new card, but holy smokes are good CPUs ever blinkin' expensive!! Oh, man!

And LGA 1150, 1151, 1155, 2011... who the heck can decide. I got tired of all that years ago, that's why I stuck with my 775! :)

DDR4 and the mobos that use it are mercifully cheap, though.

Edited by Aluminum Donkey

Kit:

I recently bought a GTX 1070 and performance is great in 1.5 and 2.0. My processor is a i7 920 at 4 GHz. No problems at all.

I bet it is, I'm just wondering if my ancient box would detect all 8GB of VRAM, that's all. I'm looking into a new mobo, RAM, and CPU, but geezuz those dang CPUs are expensive! (Especially if you want a good one!)

Kit:

I upgraded my system recently from an ancient one to a little more modern. At one point I had GTX 1060 installed with an old AMD Phenom II 965. You could clearly see that the old CPU was holding the GPU back. The performance wasn't any better than it had been with my previous GTX 750Ti and in some cases it was even worse. :D

So I don't really recommend mixing old CPU and new video card together.

I bet it is, I'm just wondering if my ancient box would detect all 8GB of VRAM, that's all. I'm looking into a new mobo, RAM, and CPU, but geezuz those dang CPUs are expensive! (Especially if you want a good one!)

I have been reading your posts and I think a system upgrade is your best bet and mine I reckon. If you saved money by getting a 970 instead of a 1070 your getting a good card at half the cost of a 10 series and the saved money will almost cover the cost of a new MB bundle:)

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have been reading your posts and I think a system upgrade is your best bet and mine I reckon. If you saved money by getting a 970 instead of a 1070 your getting a good card at half the cost of a 10 series and the saved money will almost cover the cost of a new MB bundle:)

Problem is, 970 only has 4GB of VRAM, 1070 has 8GB :)

I'm glad they're finally putting enough VRAM on viddies these days, but I'm still somewhat in the dark as to whether my older system will detect and use all of it.

If I knew for a fact that it wouldn't, I'd just get a new mobo/RAM/CPU bundle and forgo the vid card for a while.

Kit:

and my Q9650 runs at 4.0 GHz or more, so it's not an issue..

I can assure you it is. Going from a QX9650 to a 4790K with that same GTX760 was a massive increase in performance for me.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

PCIe bandwidth is a huge non-issue in single card configs, especially when the card isn't at the very highest end. The IPC of a Core 2 chip is certainly a huge bottleneck for a game like DCS though. I'd imagine at 4.0Ghz, its probably about as good as my old Fx8350 at 4.5Ghz, which isn't great compared to the 4th gen i Series and up.

this

I'm currently running a Phenom II X6, overclocked to 3.7ghz all cores, and was running a 750Ti until I recently upgraded to a 1060. I'm clearly CPU limited now, but I saw frame rates go from the 20s to high 50s, then after going to pretty much max settings I am still seeing 30-40fps (though I've turned down some of the CPU intensive settings such as traffic). For the $150 the card cost me, it was worth it.

I am waiting for the new generation of AMD chips, and Intel's reaction to them, before I decide what platform to build my new system on. Until then, my current system is holding its own, the new card helps immensely.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

OK everyone, I just scored an Asus Z170-P mobo, an i5-6600k, and 2 X 8GB GSkill DDR4 3000 MHz 15-15-15-35 RAM modules.

The new CPU runs cool and OC's to about 4.4-4.5 GHz at stock voltages (about 1.2V). The RAM happily runs at it's rated speed, I haven't tried overclocking it yet and probably won't need to :)

My ancient GTX 760 is really performing well in 1.5--around 180 FPS with all details *maxed* where I used to get 30 or 40, and with the same old vid card! I gotta try it out in Nevada soon and try to figure which card I'll get to replace it.

Looks like I'll hafta change my sig now :)

Peace and happy warfare!

Kit:

Well, technically you are already over-clocking the memory since the memory controller in the i5-6600K only officially supports up to DDR4-2133. Keep that in mind if you start getting random mysterious blue-screens of death at some point.

http://ark.intel.com/sv/products/88191/Intel-Core-i5-6600K-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz

Happy flying with the new rig! :)

Good decision going with mobo/cpu/mem. Good luck with the new rig!. Be careful with overclocking though. The fact that it runs now doesn't mean that it's healthy for CPU/mem in long term perspective.

Well, technically you are already over-clocking the memory since the memory controller in the i5-6600K only officially supports up to DDR4-2133. Keep that in mind if you start getting random mysterious blue-screens of death at some point.

http://ark.intel.com/sv/products/88191/Intel-Core-i5-6600K-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz

Happy flying with the new rig! :)

I know, but I just used the XMP setting in BIOS and it happily runs at 3000 MHz @ 1.35V as it says on the package, no problems. System seems rock solid.

All CPU cores and CPU Cache run at 45 multiplier (4.5 GHz) at 1.28V, no problems at all. I'm still sorting out all the new functions in Asus AI Suite 3, looks like there's lots of them... I might be able to get it going faster. It runs *really* cool, barely hitting 50C on all 4 cores at 4.5 GHz. Looks like I got a good CPU. Whew! :)

Peace

Kit:

Good decision going with mobo/cpu/mem. Good luck with the new rig!. Be careful with overclocking though. The fact that it runs now doesn't mean that it's healthy for CPU/mem in long term perspective.

The RAM is running at package-stated speeds and timings: 3000 MHz, 15-15-15-35.

CPU is going 1 GHz faster than stock (45 multiplier). No voltage increase was needed; seems to be good the way it is. It starts to crash when I go up to 46 though :) Might need 1.3V or more to get close to 5 GHz; doesn't seem like it needs it though.

Now I need a decent vid card. Any recommendations? GTX 1060 6GB sounds good to me, a little pricy though, I wish I could find one used.

Kit: