Always stalling

Hi bit of advice required

When flying the spit (or the P51) and i pull hard on the stick (normally while banked for a turn) the plane always goes into a stall. Is it a case of you can not input full back on the stick and have to play with it so you are just above the stall (which is about half input) or is there something else??

Thanks in advance

---------

System: i7-8700k @ 4.9GHz; Nvidia RTX 2080ti; 32GB (2 x 16) DDR4 @ 3333Mz Ram; ASUS ROG Strix z370-E; SSD Drive; Oculus Rift-S; Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog

• ED Team

HI

Just like a real aircraft you have to fly the numbers, pulling hard on the stick like in war thunder will induce a reduction in speed and lead to a stall.

if you think it maybe something else attach a short track showing the issue and we will take a look

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Spitfire elevator is very powerful and you can induce a stall with partial stick throw. Easy to do if at low speed and even easy to induce a high speed stall if you just haul away on it. The perfect advert for a force feedback stick if I ever saw one!

Chris

It's a matter of how quick you turn and the motion of your plane. Think of it this way: The plane is moving in a direction and it wants to keep moving that way unless forces act upon it (newton says hi). If you now deflect the elevators hard (and remember, they have alot of authority on the spit), the plane swings up but it's still trying to move in the old direction. The result is that you throw alot of wing surface into the wind. Too much surface and angle and you break the airflow over the wing which means stall. So you have to visualize it like "guiding" or "slipping" the plane into the tight turn, gradually but quickly increasing the turnrate so you don't smash your wings into the airflow and stall yourself but instead get a smooth transition into the tight turn.

Hi bit of advice required

When flying the spit (or the P51) and i pull hard on the stick (normally while banked for a turn) the plane always goes into a stall. Is it a case of you can not input full back on the stick and have to play with it so you are just above the stall (which is about half input) or is there something else??

Thanks in advance

ok think of it this way,

you are flying along wing leading edge into the airstream, then you bank 90 degrees and yank on the elevator, which makes the airflow direction actually move to the top or bottom of wing instead of the leading edge creating loss of airflow over the wing(the plane is moving sideways instead of nose on to direction of flight). creating stall. try giving the elevators a small curve(10-15) and see if that helps

We are Virtual Pilots, a growing International Squad of pilots, we fly Allies in WWII and Red Force in Korea and Modern combat. We are recruiting like minded people of all Nationalities and skill levels.

http://virtual-pilots.com/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

HI

Just like a real aircraft you have to fly the numbers, pulling hard on the stick like in war thunder will induce a reduction in speed and lead to a stall.

if you think it maybe something else attach a short track showing the issue and we will take a look

In War Thunder stalls are more vicious and easier develop into a spin than in DCS. Also way harder to recover from. DCS has mild plane behaviour in comparison.

Edited by Solty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

Thanks all.... so seems like I just need to be more delicate at first so the leading edge, direction of flight and air flow all have time to adjust.

thanks for the descriptions - helps a lot

---------

System: i7-8700k @ 4.9GHz; Nvidia RTX 2080ti; 32GB (2 x 16) DDR4 @ 3333Mz Ram; ASUS ROG Strix z370-E; SSD Drive; Oculus Rift-S; Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog

I'm currently reading "Sigh for a merlin" by Alex Henshaw, brilliant read by the way, and in it he discribes carrying out a full throttle dive in a MkV and the controls locked solid. He had to use the elevator trim to pull out! but it did recover to controlled flight no problem.

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

In a turn, keep the ball in the middle with your feet, keep the stick as neutral as possible to achieve the turn you want, and remember that you are not flying an F-16. The best way to gain altitude is to pull back on the stick; the best way to lose altitude is to CONTINUE pulling back.

You can stall an airplane at any speed, and at any attitude. If you pull hard enough, you will pass the Critical Angle Of Attack. The Spit CAOA is quite generous. The Pony's? That's another story. It departs if you look at it funny. Very narrow CAOA modeled into it in DCS.

V