Black Shark or MI8?

Mr_sukebe

I won't repeat what the others have already said about flying and fighting, instead I'll draw your attention to another aspect - navigating. Both helicopters have a wider array of aids than the Huey and can solve more complex navigational problems, but in the Hip the process is quite a bit more involved.

The Ka-50 has the ABRIS satnav set and the PVI-800 inertial navigation system, both very capable. You will be able to effortlessly follow the flight plan from the mission editor, but also store targets, points of interests and better coordinate with other pilots if you fly in MP. It can be a little boring when "just flying" but in a fight you will appreciate the extra flexibility.

In the Mi-8 you will be relying primarily on the DISS doppler navigation system, which is much more "hands on". It will only determine your distance flown along a manually set heading and your deviation from that heading. No waypoints, no map view, have fun getting back on course if you set 227 degrees instead of 272 degrees 78km ago ;). You will probably want to spend a few more minutes in the mission planner and maybe write a few things down before you hit "Fly". Both campaigns available for the Mi-8 will test your ability to follow fairly complex flight plans.

Other than that, both helicopters have ADF sets and radios with VHF/UHF homing function - the Mi-8 is even a little bit better equipped in this area.

So I guess in a way again it comes down to whether you want to fly more (in this case I recommend the Mi-8 because of a bigger challenge) or fight more (here the flexibility of the Ka-50 will make it more fun).

Edited by lmp

if you have spent hours shooting tanks with vikhrs and staring at the shkval CRT screen, in the su-25t.

then be prepared to do it all over again in the ka50 as it has basically the same weapons load and battlefield role.

one of the things that put me off the ka 50, having flown a lot of the su 25t.

now the mi8 is as different to the huey as the a10c is to the SU-25t..

so just different enough to be really interesting :)

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

My deepest thanks for your thoughts guys.

In the end, went for the Mi8 as I tend to spend most of my time flying, as against shooting and wanted the additional challenge of what appears to be a flying brick.

Promptly crashed it multiple times whilst getting the hang of l.a.n.d.i.n.g v e r y s l o w l y.

One question, is there a way to have the control panel legends in English instead of Russian?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Black Shark or MI8?

Yes there is !

Check in the DCS DL section for Devrim and his excellent work.

Iirc it is even embedded by default now, check options Mi8 first tho devrim is worth looking for what he got for us.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Great choise with Mi-8. As for the english cokpit if I recall correctly it can be selected in the special options for Mi-8. If it's not there by default here are the mods:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/668712/

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/1053263/

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=114166

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=DirtyFret&set_filter=Y

The last one may be a bit more performance heavy.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Awesome, thanks again guys.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

• 9 months later...
I already fly the Huey, which I really enjoy.

I fancy buying one of the Russian choppers. Not sure whether to go with the BS or the Mi8.

Any thoughts and recommendations on the differences between them?

If you can fly the Ka-50 with precision like a dead still hover from coming in fast in a minute or so, then flying the other copters should be an easy transition.

In Multiplayer I see a lot of guys flying the various helicopters DCS offers. Few fly them well!!

Only problem is with me, at age 66, now, I am a one aircraft guy; can't remember horse-crap!!

I have most of the inventory. But switching back and forth there is always a re-learning curve.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mi8 would be my choice it's about the same weight as the KA50 and doesn't mind being thrown around and handles surprisingly well, it's got the best view ever, I have the KA50 but it's just not cup of tea.

Also don't write the Gazelle off so quickly it's been getting a lot of luv from the publishes and is really starting to feel very nice.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Nothing like reviving a dead thread,.. :thumbup::D

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.