Getting started; looking for setup recommendations

Strike_Eagle

I purchased DCS Flaming Cliffs 3 and a few planes a while ago but I didn't bother starting it up since I didn't have all the hardware I wanted to use with it. I now have everything I need which includes:

PC with i4790k, GTX1070 (& GTX670 for PhysX?), 16GB RAM,

Oculus Rift CV1,

TM HOTAS Warthog, & Saitek rudder pedals.

My question is, is there a setup guide or lessons-learned type document somewhere to get me going with the least amount of hassle? For instance, I'm not sure if I need to instal the Thrustmaster software or if I can get by without it (would prefer to avoid installing it)? What graphical settings are recommended for the Oculus? Are there any "crucial" mods for playing in VR? etc. I started reading (mostly VR-related) threads but at this rate it will be 2018 before I get things running.

If you have hardware that's similar to this please let me know your thoughts. Much obliged and all the best for the new year!

Unfortunately, the guide you want is scattered among a thousand posts on the forum.

As for the TM Target software, it is not necessary, though I do use it and love it.

As for the Rift, everyone, even with similar systems seems to have different results. All I can say is start with medium settings for everything and tweak from there. Shadows will create one of the biggest hits so shift other setting up, and then if performance is still acceptable, shift the shadow setting up.

To the best of my knowledge, there aren't any VR specific mods. I will, however, suggest VoiceAttack or one of the other voice control programs. They are a godsend when you can't really see your keyboard.

Happy New Year and welcome to the forum.

We are a, generally, friendly and helpful bunch, so if you have any questions, please post them.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I purchased DCS Flaming Cliffs 3 and a few planes a while ago but I didn't bother starting it up since I didn't have all the hardware I wanted to use with it. I now have everything I need which includes:

PC with i4790k, GTX1070 (& GTX670 for PhysX?), 16GB RAM,

Oculus Rift CV1,

TM HOTAS Warthog, & Saitek rudder pedals.

My question is, is there a setup guide or lessons-learned type document somewhere to get me going with the least amount of hassle? For instance, I'm not sure if I need to instal the Thrustmaster software or if I can get by without it (would prefer to avoid installing it)? What graphical settings are recommended for the Oculus? Are there any "crucial" mods for playing in VR? etc. I started reading (mostly VR-related) threads but at this rate it will be 2018 before I get things running.

If you have hardware that's similar to this please let me know your thoughts. Much obliged and all the best for the new year!

There is now a VR specific preset, so start there. One think you want to play around with is the Pixel Density. I would try 1.5 or 1.7.

Some MFCD readability: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2878356&postcount=1

And A10 panel font size increase: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2882990&postcount=1

And how to change seat/head positions if needed: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2746202&postcount=1

Enjoy!

• Like 1

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your input. Will definitely follow your recommendations. Going to work on setting up the HOTAS tonight or tomorrow. Since I'm not really familiar with DCS yet I figure it makes more sense to do that first to get some experience with the title and then tackle the Oculus setup.

All the best to you both (and everyone else on here) for 2017!

I HIGHLY recommend Bunyap's On The Range series on YouTube. His A10 tutorials are fantastic. Others tutorial like Gerry Abbot are TOP notch as well.

And Charly Owl has great PDF tutorials to get you up and running quickly. Just search for his sticky thread.

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Finally got around to starting DCS up today (busy at work) and I'm having issues with the Warhog HOTAS setup.

I was hoping to significantly reduce setup time by using "Polaris & SchniX DCS TM WH Custom Profiles & Controls" guide but I think there must have been an update in DCS or there is something missing in the instructions. .... well, or I'm really having reading comprehension issues, which is a possibility.

1) I assume each of the profiles, based on whichever aircraft is being used, needs to be loaded before flying, after being copied over into the inputs directory.

2) Saitek Pedals were mapped to do some crazy things by default. Seems like DCS just copies over the mappings across controllers? I manually deleted all Pedal mappings and mapped those manually.

3) Toggle switches on the throttle are not acting like toggle switches (require to flips). I would have assumed this would have been resolved with the custom controls file being loaded but again, unless I screwed something up it seems like more adjustment is required. Looks like there's a modifier "Switches" window in DCS now, which no one seems to mention anywhere. Perhaps this is the answer but I've not been able to figure out how to properly use it.

4) When researching the toggle switch issue someone posted that the A10 controls are expertly mapped and toggle switches work like toggle switches. I do not appear to have this profile in the Steam version of the game (or it doesn't get loaded automatically when I select the aircraft) and I was hoping to use it as a starting point for the other aircraft (since it supposedly has properly working toggle switches).

Anyway, I'm looking for some advice... am I going about this the wrong way? Should I just start from scratch and map everything manually? If so, what's the simplest way to get the toggle and multi-position switches working properly (preferably without using any other 3rd party software).

Thanks and apologies upfront for my ignorance.

Edited by Strike_Eagle