Wheel Brakes: Helpful tip for X-56 Owners

Schwarzfeld

So, I recently added an X-56 (I also have an X-55 which is on the workbench getting #2 throttle re-wired right now, alongside a pair of Saitek Combat pedals also getting re-wired) to my Obutto R3volution Cockpit over the Holiday, as I'm kind of a junkie for trying all the peripherals money can buy.

While I learned real life taildraggers in a Piper Cub, the DCS spitfire is HOLY LORD difficult when it comes to the lack of tailwheel lock.

Given the pneumatic brakes on the Spit, I did what I always do for the MiGs/L-39, and at first I assigned one toe brake axis as the stick brake lever so I can modulate the brake as an axis during taxi/rollout braking etc.

The X-56 - talk as much smack as you want about it - has these two little thumb sticks, one on the stick and one on the throttle, which are actually X and Y axes that can be discreetly mapped and despite gripes about Saitek's recent quality assurance fails, are quite good.

As such, I figured out a way to map my X56's Joystick thumb stick as a pneumatic brake "lever", and it works BEAUTIFULLY, as it is the closest you're going to get to the actual stick lever in a Spit. This same method should work for all the MiGs, and the L-39 etc - here's my mapping - I HUGELY recommend you try this if you use an X-56, as this allows you to issue very fine and modulated brake inputs with your right thumb as you steer with your feet.

Now when I taxi and rollout on landing I look alot less drunk!

493651029_X56example.png.461d9f5dfba602837ad8ca1832b51798.png

So, I recently added an X-56 (I also have an X-55 which is on the workbench getting #2 throttle re-wired right now, alongside a pair of Saitek Combat pedals also getting re-wired) to my Obutto R3volution Cockpit over the Holiday, as I'm kind of a junkie for trying all the peripherals money can buy.

While I learned real life taildraggers in a Piper Cub, the DCS spitfire is HOLY LORD difficult when it comes to the lack of tailwheel lock.

Given the pneumatic brakes on the Spit, I did what I always do for the MiGs/L-39, and at first I assigned one toe brake axis as the stick brake lever so I can modulate the brake as an axis during taxi/rollout braking etc.

The X-56 - talk as much smack as you want about it - has these two little thumb sticks, one on the stick and one on the throttle, which are actually X and Y axes that can be discreetly mapped and despite gripes about Saitek's recent quality assurance fails, are quite good.

As such, I figured out a way to map my X56's Joystick thumb stick as a pneumatic brake "lever", and it works BEAUTIFULLY, as it is the closest you're going to get to the actual stick lever in a Spit. This same method should work for all the MiGs, and the L-39 etc - here's my mapping - I HUGELY recommend you try this if you use an X-56, as this allows you to issue very fine and modulated brake inputs with your right thumb as you steer with your feet.

Now when I taxi and rollout on landing I look alot less drunk!

Hmmmmmm.... My G940 joystick has an X and Y axis stick for the thumb that I might could set up the same way. I hated the Spit for the first ten minutes cuz I couldn't get the thing to track straight down the runway. Then I realized it had the same weird brake setup as an L-39 and I had to set up something to operate the brake handle.

Anyway, I'll give it a try.

I7 4790K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z97S SLI+, 32GB HyperX 2400 DDR3, GeForce RTX-3060ti 8GB DDR6, Rosewill 80plus Bronze 1000w, Corsair Hydro H100i, Intel 160GB SSD for OS, Seagate Barracuda 2TB, Intel 1TB SSD for DCS, P3D, Star Citizen, Sound Blaster Zx, Thermaltake Overseer RX-I, Logitech G940 FFB stick, dual throttle & pedals, TrackIR 5, Surround Speakers & Subwoofer, Oculus Quest 2 VR.

:joystick::pilotfly:

Genius!!!! And a Fellow Texan. Even more excellent! Thanks very much for this. I love my X56

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]1000 miles of road will take you around town, a 1000 feet of runway can take you around the world...unless your in a Huey, you can go anywhere with no runway in a Huey!

multiplayer name ''DustOff=3=6''

Wheelbrake solution for Warthog owners ;)

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160749

That is an insanely ingenious piece of engineering sir!:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]1000 miles of road will take you around town, a 1000 feet of runway can take you around the world...unless your in a Huey, you can go anywhere with no runway in a Huey!

multiplayer name ''DustOff=3=6''