Engine overheat

Reflected

put throttle fully back when going vertical up, before stalling and you're engine will keep running

Not always. And you think that's the way real Spitfires were flown in WW2? I've read countless books written by Spit pilots and none of them ever mentioned this. I refuse to believe.

Not always. And you think that's the way real Spitfires were flown in WW2? I've read countless books written by Spit pilots and none of them ever mentioned this. I refuse to believe.

I wasn't refering to real life, but to DCS

Maybe something about this is in the manual?

Also, i can imagine that that vertical maneuver was pretty rare in WWII just because of the fact to overheat your engine

I dont think the chandelle as a common combat manouver .. you will be a sitting duck once you roll your wings level. Also, I don't recall reading anywere that it was a prohibited manouver for the spid though. Snap-rolls where not allowed, but chandelles ...

Will try doing a chandelle with it when I arrive home, but you shouldn't be stalling the plane on a chandelle ...

How much boost and RPMs are "half throttle" (to have a reference point)?

from the manual:

Chandelle

1. To perform a chandelle, the motor must be set to maximum continuous power, and airspeed pushed to its maximum (at altitudes of 21000 feet above ground – 310mph IAS) after which the control stick must be smoothly pulled back and in the desired direction,

DCS [spitfire IX]

144 PRE-FLIGHT CHECKS

combined with rudder movement in the same direction. This sets the aircraft to climb in an upward spiral with a roll up to 50°. 2. Complete the maneouver at an IAS of 140-150mph while the motor is running at maximum power. The aircraft will have gained 1900 feet of altitude. 3. Performing this maneouver with excessive bank will cause the aircraft to quickly lose speed and gain less altitude from the maneouver.

hmm, with maximum power at 140 mph seems a bit like you should immediately after maneuver calm the engine a bit down

what was your outside temp?

what was your oil and engine temp before the maneuver?

with which RPM and Boost were you flying for how long before you entered the maneuver?

• ED Team
Try 2800 RPM and +9 Boost.

Could you please make a video with your chandelle (from F1 view, RAD gauge is in sight).

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Here is a video I made. If anyone dismisses it by saying it's not a "chandelle" I'll ignore it with a facepalm, because that is besides the point.

20 degrees celsius, +9 boost and 2800 RPM (lower than in a normal dogfight situation). Initial rad temp not too high, not too low, well, on the low side for a dogfight situation where this maneuver might be needed. The 109 pulls up and you go after him, and shoot until you both stall out. This is what happens:

https://youtu.be/6TKaeAyExRA

Edited by Reflected

• ED Team
Here is a video I made. If anyone dismisses it by saying it's not a "chandelle" I'll ignore it with a facepalm, because that is besides the point.

20 degrees celsius, +9 boost and 2800 RPM (lower than in a normal dogfight situation). Initial rad temp not too high, not too low, well, on the low side for a dogfight situation where this maneuver might be needed. The 109 pulls up and you go after him, and shoot until you both stall out. This is what happens:

https://youtu.be/6TKaeAyExRA

As far as I can see, you went beyond the 180-160 mph (the speed that gives minimal sufficient cooling) for about 15 seconds. Finally, you managed to stall the plane deeply and hanged it with zero speed and terrifying AoA, thus, the propwash went out of the radiators...

And all these measures you insulted the plane were in vain. 109 ootzooms the Spit... and it is the reality you need to take in account. You never can catch 109 if it zooms from high speed and you start zoom from 200 mph. But you never can catch it even if you start from the maximal speed.

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

I don't want to catch it, I know it shouldn't be possible. I just want to be able to stall out on top of a climb without killing the engine, it's hardly and insult, is it?

Also, I just read the pilot's notes again, and it's not mentioned anywhere. Don't you think a pilot's notes of an aircraft that was built to dogfight would at least mention this issue?

Edited by Reflected

• ED Team
I don't want to catch it, I know it shouldn't be possible. I just want to be able to stall out on top of a climb without killing the engine, it's hardly and insult, is it?

Also, I just read the pilot's notes again, and it's not mentioned anywhere. Don't you think a pilot's notes of an aircraft that was built to dogfight would at least mention this issue?

The dogfight philosophy is "Speed means life", isn't it?