Can I use a GTX 1060 or 1070 UEFI vid card with my P5Q (Core 2 Quad) motherboard?

Greetings everyone,

I've been thinking about scraping together the dough for a new card, but my machine is an old P5Q-based LGA 775 system with a Q9650 CPU. The CPU itself runs happily up to about 4.0 GHz, maybe a little more, but I want a vid card with lots of VRAM since DCS (especially Nevada) is really hard on video memory, and I would prefer it if my system didn't choke on DCS 2.5 :)

The GTX 1060 and 1070 seem like really nice cards, and have enough VRAM that I can just keep the 8GB of DDR2 system memory that I currently have.

Thing is, they are supposed to be UEFI devices. Will they work well (or at all) with my current LGA-775 system? Will Windows 7 x64 recognize all 6 or 8GB of video memory on my older computer?

I'm not asking about GPU performance bottlenecking, I want to know if a new card will function at it's best on an older platform, and all the memory on the card will be useful. I'd like to know before I plunk down the bread :)

Thanks eh

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

Maybe you should first get a new CPU, it probably will bottleneck a 1060 or a 1070

Not looking to get a whole new system. My current card is a GTX 760 2GB, problem isn't so much the card's speed which is surprisingly good, but lack of video RAM.

When I look at CPU and GPU usage graphs in MSI Afterburner, it's always the card that's doing the bottlenecking, not the CPU.

Just wondering if a newer card will boot and work well with my P5Q system, that's all.

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

It's not really the lack of VRAM, but 16 gigs of RAM will help more in that case

It can bottleneck but otherwise i can't see anything why it shouldn't work with that system...

Yes it's lack of VRAM, DCSW uses a heck of a lot. That's why very fast but older cards such as the 780 Ti still run into stuttering issues, because of texture swapping between the card and system RAM. I'm pretty sure a 1060 6GB is what I need, although the 1070 (8GB) is even better.

I just want to make sure it'll kick over when I turn the key before paying the dough :)

Kit:

Just wondering if a newer card will boot and work well with my P5Q system, that's all.

I can't tell you for your specific mainboard or chipset, but I got a AMD RX460 2GB card gifted and it didn't work on a socket 775 P35 (Asus P5K) board, but works with a socket 775 nVidia 750i chipset board. I know it's a completely different card with different boards, but the generation of video cards and boards are about equal.

I can't tell you for your specific mainboard or chipset, but I got a AMD RX460 2GB card gifted and it didn't work on a socket 775 P35 (Asus P5K) board, but works with a socket 775 nVidia 750i chipset board. I know it's a completely different card with different boards, but the generation of video cards and boards are about equal.

OK, mine is a P45 based mobo. I'm still digging around to figure this out, I'm thinking about the 1060 6GB. It's cheaper than the 1070 :)

These things can be a bit trying, but I'd at least want to know if someone else tried it and got it to work... Fact is, for my gaming use (and everything else I do) my current old rig is just fine, I just want a vid card that's a nice bit faster and has a lot more vram. My current 2GB 760 just does not cut it anymore, and I don't want to belittle our fine developers by having it choke on DCS 2.5 :)

Kit:

If you want more VRAM you can get a RX470 or RX480, both have up to 8GB and are a lot (RX470) cheaper than the 1060 with 6GB

I know, but for DCS I'd rather stick with Nvidia based cards.

What I was originally asking was whether or not newer cards like the 1060 or 1070 are compatible with my older P5Q system.

Kit: