Launching non-Steam version of DCS in SteamVR?

Istari6

Sorry if this has been answered already, but a search of previous threads has come up empty.

I have the Steam version of DCS and been having a blast learning the P-51D. Just purchased the F-86F and MiG-15bis with the Steam Winter sale.

Now I'm looking ahead to the campaigns (High Stakes for the P-51D, Museum Relic for the Sabre & MiG-15) and I see they're Steam incompatible.

If I was to install the non-Steam version of DCS so I could add these campaigns, are there any difficulties with flying DCS in SteamVR? Right now I'm launching DCS from within Steam to get the VR integration.

Not sure if there will be any issues with making VR (Vive) work with the non-Steam version?

For some reason I thought that the Steam and non-Steam module versions were incompatible(i.e. a module purchased through Steam would not work with the non-steam version and vice versa).

If that's not true, or used to be true but changed, then sorry for any confusion.

Corsair Graphite 780T / ASUS Maximus VIII Hero / i7-6700K@4.5GHz / Corsair H110i / 32GB DDR4 PC-2666 / ASUS 1080 Strix / EVGA 850 Pro / Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD / Win10x64 / Samsung UN48JU7500 4k / Logitech G910/933 KB/Headphones / Razer Naga Epic Mouse / MFG Crosswinds / TM HOTAS Warthog / HTC Vive

Thanks all, that's great news. The funny part is I'm now trying to buy the campaigns on the DCS website, but they say I need another product. I've already bought that product on Steam, now trying to figure out if I can purchase now while they're on sale or if I need to switch over my DCS World first so the store will recognize I already have the relevant modules.

You need to bind the module to non-steam version...You can do that on the dcs homepage in youre profile tab, just use the keys you got from steam, then the modules are bind to youre ed profile and you can install them in dcs world ;)

i7 6700k @ 4,5 Ghz | MSI 1080ti Aero | 32 GB RAM 2133 | 500 GB SSD | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | HTC Vive |:pilotfly:

If I was to install the non-Steam version of DCS so I could add these campaigns, are there any difficulties with flying DCS in SteamVR? Right now I'm launching DCS from within Steam to get the VR integration.

Not sure if there will be any issues with making VR (Vive) work with the non-Steam version?

You don't need Steam or SteamVR running to play DCS in VR with the Vive headset. Most of the time I shutdown Steam and SteamVR before I start DCS to play in VR.

The game starts automatically in VR mode and your headset will turn on.

You can link the CD-key from the modules you bought with steam to your non-steam version. Go to you profile on the DCS main website page, HERE and copy the cd-key (you can find it in steam under links on the right hand side of the DCS game page) from the steam campaign or module in the licence check box. The module will then be tied to your account and you can install it thru the module manager in DCS.

Edited by MainSail

Win10-X64, I5,-8600K oc-4,8Ghz, 16GB DDR4, MSI RTX 2080ti, HOTAS Warthog, MFG crosswind pedals, KW-908 Jetseat , HTC Vive with lens mod.

This is great, appreciate the responses.

One more question - do I need to delete the existing Steam version, then download and install the non-steam DCS from the ED website using those license codes? I'm assuming once I switch from Steam to non-Steam DCS, there's no reason to keep the original Steam version? Is there any advantage to Steam DCS beyond the automatic updates?

Chris

Yes, you can uninstall steam version, and the steam auto update isnt really an advantage, the standalone got its own auto updater ;)

Edited by PreussLee

i7 6700k @ 4,5 Ghz | MSI 1080ti Aero | 32 GB RAM 2133 | 500 GB SSD | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | HTC Vive |:pilotfly:

The two versions are mutually exclusive, in terms of installed code. They live in different places and can coexist just fine. However, there is little value in keeping both. The primary difference in updates is that Steam will do it, behind the scenes (assuming you are always logged in) whereas the ED system checks for an update when you start the sim, unless it has been less than 24 hours since the last check.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup: