RB-75 Maverick employment

DragonShadow

This seems like rather interesting news that the Viggen will carry TV-guided mavericks (RB 75/AGM 65) as well. This would seem to suggest that they could be used in a fire and forget fashion, but how is the initial lock established in the Viggen?

I don't see any optical finder in the aircraft, so would the air to ground radar be employed or something else instead? What are the details of employing such a weapon from this aircraft?

Edit:

Another thread pointed out here has some good information, https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=177993

Edited by DragonShadow

There is already a thread on the topic so hopefully i can help answer you questions.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=177993

Great, that's a big help. Seems like the Viggen should make for a pretty effective air to ground aircraft then also, which is what I was missing in the Mirage. I'm intrigued and I think I'll have to make a pre-purchase! It's still effectively a christmas present then, right? ;)

Great, that's a big help. Seems like the Viggen should make for a pretty effective air to ground aircraft then also, which is what I was missing in the Mirage. I'm intrigued and I think I'll have to make a pre-purchase! It's still effectively a christmas present then, right? ;)

Well since the Viggen we are getting is the AJ/AJS 37 which is a Strike aircraft it really should be better then the Mirage 2000C (fighter) ^^.

The AJS 37 is optimised for the Strike and Anti-ship roles so it should be pretty decent at it ^^.

And while it does not have the carry capacity of things like the A-10 or Su-25 it instead has Speed and Agility So you will be able to get in and out before the enemy knows you are there =) and if you are spotted you will actually have the chance to run away by simply getting on the deck and going full afterburner.

Edited by mattebubben

The AJS 37 is optimised for the Strike and Anti-ship roles so it should be pretty decent at it.

And while it does not have the carry capacity of things like the A-10 or Su-25 it makes up for that with Speed and Agility So you will be able to get in and out before the enemy knows you are there =).

Yep, it all sounds good. I've been looking forward to something that's a bit more of a multi-capability aircraft. The delta-wing should provide some interesting variety aerodynamically, and actually having a decent stand-off weapon like the Mav will be great for how DCS missions generally tend to be :).

It also seems capable of carrying a pretty decent air to air load-out. Might make for some rather fun mixed load-out missions flown with a wingman where one concentrates on the A2G aspect and the other on A2A.

What do you mean?

The Maverick sight will ofc be fully functional upon release.

Will be good to see a video of how to use this function before the mod is out

RYZEN 7 1800X 3.5ghz / 32 DDR4 RAM Crucial / Nvidia 2070 RTX EVGA / Samsung SSD 500 GB / Acer XB270H G-Sync / Trackir 5 / Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog / Oculus CV1

The Swedish mavericks might have been TV guided but they had two warhead options.

The RB-75T had a heavier mine warhead for use against buildings bridges and ships.

The RB-75 (vanilla) has a regular HEAT warhead.

I was surprised the RB-75T wasn't used in the Grudge match as the Viggen can carry two of them in addition to the RB-04E.

The Swedish mavericks might have been TV guided but they had two warhead options.

The RB-75T had a heavier mine warhead for use against buildings bridges and ships.

The RB-75 (vanilla) has a regular HEAT warhead.

I was surprised the RB-75T wasn't used in the Grudge match as the Viggen can carry two of them in addition to the RB-04E.

They were carried during the Grudge match

they were shown carried by Viggens in atleast 1 flight though they were never launched on video and i think the aircraft that carried them might not even have made it to the target.

Edited by mattebubben

They were carried during the Grudge match

they were shown carried by Viggens in atleast 1 flight though they were never launched on video and i think the aircraft that carried them might not even have made it to the target.

Yes but they where never carried during the anti shipping raids when the Viggen could have launched RB04 first and then finished off the ships with RB 75T's.

Yes but they where never carried during the anti shipping raids when the Viggen could have launched RB04 first and then finished off the ships with RB 75T's.

Dont know how well their Mavericks work ingame atm when it comes to locking up ships.

(Irl might be different but if i remember correctly with how the mavericks currently work its often very hard to lock up ships ingame if not outright impossible in some cases)

And its also likely they wanted the Additional Air-Air missiles as they might have intended to enter an air-air role after they had used their RB 04s.

(What is what they did during the match)

And if they intended to go air-air after the RB 04 launch then i understand them not wanting to give up 2 Rb 74s.

Edited by mattebubben

This function will be implemented with this mod, right?

There's this in the Reddit AMA going for it being implemented at least,

Another weapon that could be very interesting for A2G is the BK-90 -- which apparently is similar in function to the AGM-154 demonstrate here

Edited by DragonShadow

With modern graphics cards one has monitor interfaces coming out of once ears, so one could just get a small monitor for the scope and one for the radar !

Yeah, I have plans for a gutted old VHS camcorder for this purpose :) That little CRT seeker display and some magnifier or freznel will be great.

I've a USB display under my main monitor with the Cougar MFD pack attached I've been using with the A-10. Being able to export the Viggen displays to that would be neat. The re-purposed camcorder setup sounds interesting.

To my understanding the Viggen can be loaded out with 4 mavs. I'm curious if the image on the VID (Virtual Image Display) is a pass-through from the mav sensor or if there's a separate imaging sensor on the aircraft itself.